Early closing in Pattaya (Pattaya Mail)

Old October 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Chabon_a_shitstain

Default Early closing in Pattaya (Pattaya Mail)

MOI begins enforcing revised entertainment venue laws
Most everyone still confused about zoning and closing times

PATTAYA: -- The Ministry of Interior on Oct. 26 began nationwide
enforcement of its revised entertainment laws. In Pattaya, the initial
reactions were quiet, most likely due to wide spread confusion over
which category individual entertainment venues fall into. Most venues,
however, are now required to close at 1 a.m. instead of 2 a.m., as
they have been doing since the Ministry of Interior passed its revised
statutes back on January 13 this year.

This sticker being handed out by the Ministry of Interior reads,
"Going home before 1 a.m. reduces crime". The upper left corner
translates to, "The Interior Ministry cares for you," and in the lower
right it is written, "Thais unite in heart and body to organize social
order."

The new entertainment laws were made official on September 1, but the
initial stage of enforcement has just begun. Preecha Kamolbutr,
Chonburi deputy governor, acting on orders from Governor Pisit
Ketphasook, handed down the policies to provincial, Banglamung and
Pattaya government department heads on Tuesday morning, October 26.

Over 100 people, including community and business leaders attended the
meeting at city hall on Tuesday.

The new regulations imposed by the Interior Ministry requires all
entertainment venues inside Pattaya's entertainment zone to close no
later than 1 a.m. All venues outside the zone must close no later than
midnight, although some types of venues outside the zone need to close
earlier, such as massage parlors.

Chawalit Saengutai, Senior Banglamung District Clerk and acting
district chief said, "... The law came into effect on September 1, and
we shall enforce it accordingly."

Mayor Niran Wattanasartsathorn seemed sympathetic; "The law will
definitely damage Pattaya's entertainment industry, and we (the city)
are not sleeping on the issue. We will petition the Interior Ministry
and the Tourism and Sport Ministry to allow Pattaya businesses to
legally operate outside the rest of the country, and ask them to
present our case to the prime minister."

However, the mayor followed this with a caveat; "Since the law has
been placed into effect, the populace must follow it to the letter."

Pol. Col. Somnuk Changate, Pattaya police superintendent added, "My
duty is to follow the law, as I have always done, and I will enforce
it. This will not please many business operators but if I do not do my
duty then I am negligent. I also intend to keep them informed through
a public relations campaign and hand them documents from the
Banglamung office."

Chanyuth Hengtrakul, advisor to the Tourism and Sports ministry
commented, "Business operators will face difficulties, but in the
meantime they must follow the law. I urge everyone to sign a petition,
which can be done at the Thai Rak Thai Office, Sukhumvit Road, Central
Pattaya (near the highway police). Provincial administrators will then
take the next step to resolve the matter."

--Pattaya Mail 2004-10-29