world's worst tourists

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Jim Ley

Default Nice Ugly Americans

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:43:23 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

Just out of interest who is this debt owed to ?

The rest of the world, central banks, other banks, insurance/pension
funds, most of it is in South East Asian central banks I believe who
like to keep their dollar reserves in US bonds.

Jim.
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Miss L. Toe" wrote:

"Captain Flack" wrote in
message ...
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:29:00 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Captain Flack writes:

American's are rich? Really? With all that money, makes you wonder why
they need to KEEP BORROWING SO MUCH!

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

The government is borrowing a lot. In fact, on a per capita basis, the
major part of every American's debt is his share of the national
government debt.

The American debt is now so big that most Americans cannot even figure
out how to say the number.

It is common sense. You cannot keep borrowing indefinitely. Sooner or
later America will have to pay off the debt, or at the very least,
stop increasing it. That means massive cuts and tax rises. The
American government will have no choice but to raise the money from
the people. So the debt effectively belongs to them. Of course, they
won't come round with a baseball bat and two big mates to remove your
share. But just wait, they WILL get the money off you through tax and
cutting services. There is no other way.

Just out of interest who is this debt owed to ?

to those who have invested in government paper -- many of them
foreigners

others include pension funds, Americans who like secure investments like
T bills etc etc etc
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM
David

Mxsmanic wrote in message . ..
Reid© writes:

The way to become rich is to start a business, you can also
become relatively rich by working in the financial sector as an
employee.

True in the U.S., but not in Europe.

How can you contradict the original statement ? Of course there are
opportunities to become wealthy in Europe as an entrepreneur. I also
met enough wealthy people when I worked in the City.

Notwithstanding, it doesnt beat the easiest methods, inherit or marry
it.

Dave
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Miguel Cruz

Reid© wrote:
Following up to Frank Slootweg
Thanks for asking. It is the Aussie equivalent of yank. I.e. like you are
(probably) a pom. AFAIK, it is Aussie rhyming strine (is 'slang') which
goes yank - septic tank - seppo.

Right. I didn't realise Oz did a version of Cockney rhyming slang
with an extra bit on the end. Second thing I learned today.

It's just that they abbreviate absolutely everything, even when it doesn't
make it any shorter.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Miguel Cruz

Tim Challenger wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
"The number of HNWIs in Europe grew 6% to 2.3 million in 2000 ...
...they account for 32% of the world's HNWIs, ...

A quite similar proportion to that in North America in fact
were there are around 2.1 million HNWI's

That would mean there are about twice as many in the U.S. (where almost
all of them live).

How do you get "about twice as many" ansd "nearly all" from those figures?

Because the earth's population is currently about 70% of the population of
the earth.

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Miguel Cruz

Mxsmanic wrote:
Captain Flack writes:
So Richard Branson doesn't qualify because he knows what to do with
his money like building hot air balloons and speedboats.

Correct.

So really your definition of rich is the same as what other humans use for
"bored", and has nothing to do with money.

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Jenn

In article ,
Sloopy wrote:

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

so Bush's desire to drive up debt puts us more and more at the mercy of
international blackmail -- the US relies on other countries to shore up
the debt

Actually, it's the other way around, college girl.

-Sloopy

well no it isn't -- if say Japanese businessmen decide to stop putting
billions in American paper unless we X Y or Z that is fairly powerful
pressure

we are making ourselves dependent -- just as our waste of oil makes us
dependent
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Miguel Cruz

Miss L. Toe wrote:
But what happens when the US simply decides not to repay the debts, and
maybe invade instead ?

It loses its ability to ever borrow money again.