retire on cruise ship

Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bobbi

Default retire on cruise ship

We have long joked about retiring on a cruise ship --
it would be cheaper , more fun , better food-entertainment than a
retirement community !!!!!!!! --

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Grey

"bobbi" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have long joked about retiring on a cruise ship --
it would be cheaper , more fun , better food-entertainment than a
retirement community !!!!!!!! --

We just had a meeting with our financial advisor who told me of a client who
wanted to live in a care home. It turns out to be far cheaper to actually
live on a cruise ship and pernamently go round the world.

Wow.

Graham

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
its_my_dime

"bobbi" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have long joked about retiring on a cruise ship --
it would be cheaper , more fun , better food-entertainment than a
retirement community !!!!!!!! --

1) You will need private health insurance...Medicare won't cover you.

2) And remember, if you get real sick, they will put you ashore in a local
hospital... in the next port, whereever it is.

3) Evacuation insurance only brings you to the nearest place that can deal
with what you have...it doesn't bring you home.

So enjoy and stay heathy.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On 3 Sep 2006 13:59:03 -0700, "bobbi" wrote:

We have long joked about retiring on a cruise ship --
it would be cheaper , more fun , better food-entertainment than a
retirement community !!!!!!!! --

Many people have retired to a cruise ship. Check out the vessel called "The World".

Old September 4th, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Proveniebam

Slightly off-topic.

For the english travellor I've met a large number that have retired to
the south of Spain.

Some do so for the whole year, others for 6 months and others for 3
months.

It's so popular that the UK pension office sends the pension cheques
out there and they are able to cash them locally!

There are tour companies that specialize in these long-term holiday
packages. It's so cheap that the pensioners are able to come home with
spare change at the end of the holiday plus they didn't have endure the
damp winter in England. Because Spain is part of the European Union
their medical expenses are covered by England whilst they are there.

A totally sweet deal. I wish I was older.

Old September 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RichC

"its_my_dime" (hold the .spam) wrote in message

1) You will need private health insurance...Medicare won't cover you.

The same hold true for all the Americans living in foreign countries like
Costa Rica, Mexico etc. They move there to enjoy the low cost of living but
when a sudden tragic medical emergency comes along they'll wish they were
back in the US to utilize our hospital facilities. I would hate to think of
being trapped in a hospital Puerto Vallarta or Colon having to look for good
doctor after a heart attack.

Old September 4th, 2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"RichC" wrote:

"its_my_dime" (hold the .spam) wrote in message

1) You will need private health insurance...Medicare won't cover you.

The same hold true for all the Americans living in foreign countries like
Costa Rica, Mexico etc. They move there to enjoy the low cost of living but
when a sudden tragic medical emergency comes along they'll wish they were
back in the US to utilize our hospital facilities. I would hate to think of
being trapped in a hospital Puerto Vallarta or Colon having to look for good
doctor after a heart attack.

When Bob had a heart attack at an uninhabited cay in the Bahamas (we
were on our own boat), we got very good care, once we got back to
Nassau. It is true that Medicare didn't cover it, but our other
insurance covered 80% of it, and Medicare took care of the part after
he was flown to Miami.

I would think it would be easier to get private insurance for on board
a ship than it would for living in Costa Rica, but it might make the
retirement options on the ship less cost effective.

Old September 4th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Rosalie B. wrote:
"RichC" wrote:

[...]

You definitely need health insurance to cover injuries or health issues
away from home. But I think it's a tragedy that westerners take such a
dim view of health care in non western countries. Perhaps we (the most
wealthy people in the world, even those of us in the poorest groupings)
should think more about helping our neighbors in need, with an eye to
better sanitation and healthcare for people worldwide. That way we
won't be worried to travel someplace exotic and meet new and
interesting people.
Also, keep in mind that it doesn't matter your age. If you do get very
ill, you're still going to the local hospital, whether you're 20 or 70,
so I don't think this argument is very pertinent to retirement on a
cruise ship, which by the way, sounds like a fabulous idea.
Wendy Piquette
C-USA Travel Guide
http://www.c-usa.info