Are there campsites in OZ

Old February 15th, 2005, 05:37 AM
stub50

Well I think I will still try to familiarize myself with the creatures
of Australia - I think I will find lots of pictures and info on the www
if I can't find a book.

Biking would be awesome, but I face an internal conflict. I am a
musician and a photographer; I plan to bring my guitar, a backpack and
my camera. This is a bit crazy, I realize, however I think it could
work out. I was planning on staying in some of the major cities for a
while, and I'd like to be able to play my songs at open mic or open
stage sessions, as well as maybe busque a little. But I am really into
adventure and camping, etc, so I am currently researching options for
leaving behind my guitar for periods of a week or two, thus enabling me
to go travelling for a bit.

The best way is to know someone (you trust) in a city, so I'm working
on that. As for travelling... is hitch hiking legal in Australia?

Also, I've been told to budget approx $1000 per month (Oz $) for
reasonably comfortable living. To me that means you can live cheaper
if you try. If I am in a hostel, I can prepare my own food if there is
a market nearby. If I am travelling, hitch-hiking or bicycle is cheap.
Rough camping is cheap. Anybody have other ideas on monthly budget
for bare minimum living?

Old February 15th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Gerrit 't Hart

"kerbear" wrote in message

My boyfriend and I are traveling to OZ in May, but we wanted to camp
more than pay for Hostels and Hotels. The only camp site we found in
the book "Lonely Planets guide" to OZ were on the Whitesundays islands.
Is this true? We certainly can't afford hotel stays every where we go.
We were thinking of using the Quantas airpass to arrive in Brisbane,
stay a few days go to Cairns, stay 5days, travel to Darwin and stay a
few days, and end up in Sydney. We are trying to keep the rental car
and hotel stays to a minimun. Does anybody have any suggestions??
Thanks-
Kernear

Kerbear (related to the Oz Drop Bear?)

For you and all the others who have expressed an interest here are a number
of websites covering the topic of campsites in Australia. Some of them are
listings of books you can buy about the subject.

http://www.camping.com.au/

http://www.westernbelle.com/xmas.html

A listing of books you can buy with some of them covering the topic of free
camping.

http://www.westprint.com.au/Product%...ng%20Books.htm

Another listing of books. Can't guarantee that they do not overlap.

http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Display...D=2&ClassID=10

http://www.rangercamping.com.au/Rang...ks_general.htm

Happy camping.

Gerrit

Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
www.poms.co.uk

--
kerbear
kerbear's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=777

There loads campsites about. Best campsite i was at was the Arts Factory in
Byron Bay

http://www.poms.co.uk/austsraliansimcard.htm

Old March 15th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Hotopal

I hope you people are very fit and have plenty of spare time if you
intend pushing a bicycle around Australia. It is common for towns to be
50, 100, 200 or more MILES apart.

Ken Pisichko Wrote:
stub50 wrote:

I wonder if buses are a better option than renting a car (gas is
expensive in Oz, n'est-ce pas?)... the buses probably don't get you
near as many camp sites as a car would...

I also live in Canada and am planning a trip for a
return-to-OZ-and-explore-again session of about 2 months. This time I
will
go by bicycle (hopefully with my 2 sons). There are lots of expolore
type
books for the 4WD types. I intensively hitch-hiked OZ over 30 years
ago.
Now it seems that going by bicycle will be the way to see the country
"close up" but slowly. Bus and train travel is not exactly a good way
get to camp sites. Cars are expensive. Hitch hiking is much faster and
certainly cheaper, however there are those who don't like that kind of
travel. Cycling is slow - but you have to carry water and food etc.

With a bike even my boys see the utility of sleeping in a tent and
surfing
for 2 weeks on very little cash (except for the cost of the board and
wet
suit and lessons/coaching) as compared to sleeping in a hotel/motel and
driving a rented/purchased vehicle. C'est la vie!

--
Hotopal
Hotopal's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=957

Old March 15th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Ken Pisichko

Hotopal wrote:

I hope you people are very fit and have plenty of spare time if you
intend pushing a bicycle around Australia. It is common for towns to be
50, 100, 200 or more MILES apart.

Yes, we know. That is just ONE of the many beautiful and remarkable aspects
of Australia. A two month bicycle trip will let anyone see and enjoy much
countryside - nice quiet places away from the busy city life that many of us
spend too much time in

If I wanted a rushed "tour" as in "If this is Tuesday we must be in
Luxembourg, and that means tomorrow we will be in Austria..." then I'd go on
one of those "tours"

Any bicycle tourer will tell you that time and lots of it (as in several
weeks) is needed if you are going to do a decent tour. Not a rushed endurance
race - a tour.

Ken