Bringing gifts to Friends

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Richard Marks

Default Bringing gifts to Friends

I will be going to Brisbane to stay with friends, I want to bring some
gifts. If I gift wrap the items will I have trouble with customs on
arrival? Should I have the receipts with the items? Thank you for any
help in this matter, Rich

Old April 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Roger & Lorraine Martin

"Richard Marks" wrote in message
I will be going to Brisbane to stay with friends, I want to bring some
gifts. If I gift wrap the items will I have trouble with customs on
arrival? Should I have the receipts with the items? Thank you for any
help in this matter, Rich

It's unlikely as long as the items are not prohibited items. The scanning of
bags picks up most suspect things. Check the Aus Customs website for
detailed info, and the quarantine links for various items which are not
allowed into the country.

Old April 11th, 2005, 12:22 AM
A Mate

Receipts will not be required (unless you are bringing diamonds.... :-)).

Your parcel will be x-rayed, (as will all your baggage) and subject to a
quick sniff from the AQIS Beagles, who - like their human handlers are after
prohibited food!!! Food - meat, any plant material, timber products are all
subject to close inspection. Chocolate, wine etc are all OK. Fruit, dairy or
meat are prohibited! Timber products are usually fine, but they will be
manually inspected.

It's not very draconian, and the AQIS people are more than helpful if they
see you're co-operative.

Oh! Customs also has dogs (German Shepherds) - but they're drug sniffers!!
They are often just sitting near the air bridge exit - so - unless you want
to be the subject of very close inspection, do not associate with anyone who
has illegal substances before boarding your aircraft.- the odours linger!!

Old April 14th, 2005, 12:44 PM
SELINA HETA

It would be better to wrap them once you get here, we had birthday presents
when we came back to Brisbane from NZ and they made us open all (10) of
them. So its just a waste of money wrapping them.
Sometimes customs lets you through but you can't be too careful now so they
are mostly opening wrapped gifts.
Hope that helps

Celina