SCHENGEN Visa Question

Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:26 AM
rketi

Default SCHENGEN Visa Question

I am planning to apply for SCHENGEN visa for France and Italy. Currently I
am planning to stay in France for 7 days and Italy for 5 days. So I will
apply to France consulate as it is main destination. But after I get the
visa will it be possible for me to change the number of days in each country
like 5 days in France and 7 days in Italy, keeping the begining and end
dates of the complete trip same (i.e. dates of getting into France and
getting out of Italy are same).

Help is appreciated.

RKeti

Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:46 AM
Miguel Cruz

rketi wrote:
I am planning to apply for SCHENGEN visa for France and Italy. Currently I
am planning to stay in France for 7 days and Italy for 5 days. So I will
apply to France consulate as it is main destination. But after I get the
visa will it be possible for me to change the number of days in each country
like 5 days in France and 7 days in Italy, keeping the begining and end
dates of the complete trip same (i.e. dates of getting into France and
getting out of Italy are same).

There are no immigration controls between France and Italy (unless you go
through Switzerland). The only way anyone would notice is from hotel
registrations (in Italy I think they are filed with the police, but on paper
that probably never gets looked at), and I think you can safely count on
that not being a problem.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:05 AM
rketi

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that when I apply for visa my hotel registrations are filed with
police in Italy?

So after getting visa if I decide to change the itinerary I will also change
the hotel reservations. Does it matter then?

RKeti

Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
rketi

Does anyone know whether exact dates of travel between the SCHENGEN
countries are mentioned on the visas issued?

Help is appreciated.

RKeti

Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:15 AM
Miguel Cruz

In article Ux0ic.28444$L75.16799@fed1read06, rketi wrote:
Do you mean that when I apply for visa my hotel registrations are filed with
police in Italy?

Nope, the registering doesn't happen until you actually check in. The desk
people will take down your passport number and file it with the local police
station, where it will be thrown in a large box and ignored forever.

This would only become an issue if you somehow got in trouble with the law
and then they went back and looked up the registration records.

miguel
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:21 AM
Sjoerd

"rketi" schreef in bericht
Does anyone know whether exact dates of travel between the SCHENGEN
countries are mentioned on the visas issued?

No they are not. For an example of a Schengen visa see:
http://www.hit.bme.hu/people/do/visa/germany.html
and
http://www.hit.bme.hu/people/do/visa/france.html

Sjoerd

Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
Sjoerd

"rketi" schreef in bericht
I am planning to apply for SCHENGEN visa for France and Italy. Currently I
am planning to stay in France for 7 days and Italy for 5 days. So I will
apply to France consulate as it is main destination. But after I get the
visa will it be possible for me to change the number of days in each

country
like 5 days in France and 7 days in Italy, keeping the begining and end
dates of the complete trip same (i.e. dates of getting into France and
getting out of Italy are same).

No problem whatsoever. Once you are in Schengen, you can freely move around
during the validity of the visa. Nobody cares if you change your itinerary
and spend a few days less in France and a few days more in Italy.

Sjoerd

Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Sjoerd

"rketi" schreef in bericht
Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean that when I apply for visa my hotel registrations are filed

with
police in Italy?

Nope, this doesn't happen. You register with the police (via the hotel) when
you are in Italy. I suspect these registration forms are thrown away at the
police station, and nobody will check them against your original visa
application form.

Sjoerd

Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Thur

"rketi" wrote news:3d_hc.28421$L75.3149@fed1read06...
I am planning to apply for SCHENGEN visa for France and Italy. Currently I
am planning to stay in France for 7 days and Italy for 5 days. So I will
apply to France consulate as it is main destination. But after I get the
visa will it be possible for me to change the number of days in each

country

The above is correct. However, if you're not sure how long you'll stay in
each country (or are the same) or you're planning a trip among several
Schengen countries without knowing the amount of days that will be spent in
each... then ask your Schengen visa at the embassy/ consulate of the country
where you'll first enter the Schengen area.
On your case, you've planned France as the main destination, ask there.
After that you're free to travel within the Schengen area on your Schengen
visa, in principle. See also the first four paragraphs with general visa
information on: http://www.netherlands-embassy.org.uk/applyvisa_eng.htm .
Have fun.
Greetz,

*Google: Schengen visa entry point*