Follow Up: souvenirs for school class

Old March 16th, 2005, 11:05 PM
temari

Default Follow Up: souvenirs for school class

Hello, a few months ago I asked for recommendations for
souvenirs for us to bring back to USA for a class of
4th to 6th graders (10 to 12 year olds), and received
wonderful suggestions. Thought I'd mention what we ended
up with, in case anyone was interested.

We did not spend much time in large cities, we like to
stay off the beaten path, so to speak. Stayed on Heron
Island (no city at all there), Otways near Apollo Bay,
and on Kangaroo Island, so mostly shopped in small
souvenir shops here and there. Was in Sydney only long
enough to change planes. Found a small bookshop in
Apollo Bay but they did not have much selection, too small.
Bookshops at airports mostly had romance novels and magazines.
So didn't find too much in the way of books that was suggested.

For the class, we found an upside-down map, a regular
map of Australia with a border of animals and plants,
a Steve Parish animal encyclopedia, and a Steve Parish
project kit on coasts, with a poster of flora/fauna that
the teachers are going to cut apart and laminate to make
cards that will last longer.

For each kid, we brought back some coins, a small plastic
seashell, and we found those little koalas each holding an
Australian national flag, a nice touch.

Also had some photos of course. The teachers said the kids
were absolutely thrilled with the items, and our daughter
gave a presentation to the class too.

Thanks for everyone's help! On our next trip to Oz we are
going to look for more books and the other items everyone
suggested, have to schedule some time in a city with some
good shopping, I guess.

temari

Old March 17th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Dave Proctor

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:05:12 GMT, temari
wrote:

Thanks for everyone's help! On our next trip to Oz we are
going to look for more books and the other items everyone
suggested, have to schedule some time in a city with some
good shopping, I guess.

Glad you had a great time, and hope you pop back sooner rather than
later. Australia is a fantastic country, and I think it is the best
place in the world to live.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:51 PM
temari

Forgot to say, we also brought back some vegemite for the kids to try.
Some of them actually liked it!

Agree 100% with you Dave! We all can't wait to go back. Everything we
saw and every place we went was fantastic. My husband would love to
retire to Australia. And it really is true what everyone says about
how friendly Australians are, this is the first time I've been out of
North America, and it just seems Aussies have a whole different
attitude, relaxed and friendly. Maybe that's what made this vacation
so much better than others....