Customs Declaration

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:00 AM
TObject

Default Customs Declaration

According to the Australian Customs web site about what needs to be
declared and what not, "Declare all animal and plant materials or items
made from their parts"

I will be visiting Australia from abroad for the first time in
the near future. Parts of my shoes contain porcine leather,
and some of my clothes are made of natural fibers
(cotton, linen).

Does anybody know I need to declare that when entering Australia?
If yes, do I need to declare each article of clothes separately?

Thanks!
Old April 11th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Terry Simmons

In article ,
"TObject" wrote:

According to the Australian Customs web site about what needs to be
declared and what not, "Declare all animal and plant materials or items
made from their parts"

I will be visiting Australia from abroad for the first time in
the near future. Parts of my shoes contain porcine leather,
and some of my clothes are made of natural fibers
(cotton, linen).

Does anybody know I need to declare that when entering Australia?
If yes, do I need to declare each article of clothes separately?

Thanks!

No, just be sensible.

--
Cheers!

Terry

Old April 11th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Peter Webb

"TObject" wrote in message
According to the Australian Customs web site about what needs to be
declared and what not, "Declare all animal and plant materials or items
made from their parts"

I will be visiting Australia from abroad for the first time in
the near future. Parts of my shoes contain porcine leather,
and some of my clothes are made of natural fibers
(cotton, linen).

Does anybody know I need to declare that when entering Australia?
If yes, do I need to declare each article of clothes separately?

Thanks!

Declare nothing except your stupidity

Old April 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
TObject

"Peter Webb" wrote in message u...

Declare nothing except your stupidity

For your information linen and cotton are made of plants, and natural leather
and wool are made from animals. If you have information that clothing items
are exempt from the requirement, post it up

Old April 11th, 2005, 11:42 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:32:42 -0700, "TObject"
wrote:

"Peter Webb" wrote in message u...

Declare nothing except your stupidity

For your information linen and cotton are made of plants, and natural leather
and wool are made from animals. If you have information that clothing items
are exempt from the requirement, post it up

Exactly!

I get asked several times a week questions you wouldn't dream of
purely because people do not want to break any laws i.e. CITES,
country they are visiting.

In most cases, it's all ok however there's the odd one that is a curly
one and one has to email the authority concerned for an answer.

Even processed items can still require fumigation. i.e. one feather
on a hat band for example.

There is NO wrong question no matter how stupid or silly it may seem
to some. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cath
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:46 PM
TObject

I wish Customs catch you with a wooden dildo you didn't declare,
because you thought it would be stupid to declare something like that.

Oh, wait; in order to go through Customs, one needs to actually travel.
And it's obvious that travel is not something you ever do.

Old April 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM
TObject

"Terry Simmons" wrote in message ...

No, just be sensible.

Thanks! Last question: any idea if wool items (sweaters, socks)
get special attention when going through Customs or not?