Carbon tax in Zimbabwe

Old May 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Carbon tax in Zimbabwe

Hello all,

I have just driven through Zimbabwe from the Mutare/Manica Border
post (Forbes) in Mozambique, and exited into South Africa at Beit
Bridge.

I was charged US$10 as a "road access fee" and US$15 for "carbon tax"
on a 2500cc vehicle. I was also charged US$30 for a 30 day "Third
Party Insurance" fee.

On leaving Zimbabwe I was charged ZAR45-00 for the bridge toll fee.

The entire drive was totally uneventful. The roads are still in good
condition, and there appeared to be fuel available in Masvingo and
Mutare.

I was stopped at two police roadblocks. The first roadblock was a
speed trap where a feeble attempt was made to get some money from me
by telling me that I'd been speeding. I simply told the cop that I
couldn't have been speeding as I keep a close eye on my speed at all
times. He then gave up, and waved me through. The second roadblock was
friendly, and I had a short chat with the cops, and then continued on
my way.

Zimbabwe (along the route I took) appears to be completely calm and
peacefull, and apart from the crazy prices of items, nothing appears
to have changed there.

Marc
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Marc.. can you tell us more about your work
and what takes you out on the road so much?
No one else seems to have the type of everyday
information as you?

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:49:50 -0700, Dave Patterson
wrote:

Marc.. can you tell us more about your work
and what takes you out on the road so much?
No one else seems to have the type of everyday
information as you?

Hello Dave,

I run a two-way radio communications company in Johannesburg, and we
supply and install two-way radio systems all over Africa, mostly for
South African companies who are building/mining/exploring etc.

So, work takes me all over the place, usually for a few days at a tme.
Where possible, I prefer to drive because I can then carry a whole
bunch of tools and other equipment that I can't do when I fly.

My girlfriend and I are also keen African travellers, so much of our
leisure time is spent travelling in Southern and East Africa.

Also, our company (with Motorola, our main supoplier) sponsored
communications equipment for the "One Net - One Life" campaign that is
being spearheaded by Kingsley Holgate, the modern day African
adventurer. See: http://www.africanrainbowexpedition.co.za and
http://www.kingsleyholgate.co.za for more infor there. I've just
returned from a 14 day safari with the Holgate family in NW
Mozambique. I've posted a thread on a Landrover forum at:
http://www.landrovernet.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=32460
if anyone is interested. I'l be updating the thread during the next
day or two with more photographs.

Cheers,
Marc
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

With the prices of things getting so high, what is the exchange rate
doing? I am heading to Tanzania in July.

Chris Christensen
Amateur Traveler podcast
http://AmateurTraveler.com

Old May 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"chris2x" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

www.xe.com

Old May 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

chris2x writes ...

With the prices of things getting so high, what is the exchange
rate doing? I am heading to Tanzania in July.

We were in Tanzania last month and in Arusha the rate we got was 1,200
Tz shillings per US dollar ...

Old May 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Bill wrote:

We were in Tanzania last month and in Arusha the rate we got was 1,200
Tz shillings per US dollar ...

I have clients arriving at JRO, going to Mountain Village for that night,

taking the 8AM flight to Kirawira. They will not have a chance to
exchange
$$$ in Arusha. Did you note any of the exchange rates at properties where

you stayed?

Old May 14th, 2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Bill wrote ...
... in Arusha the rate we got was 1,200
Tz shillings per US dollar ...

Dave Patterson asks ...

I have clients arriving at JRO, going to Mountain Village for that
night, taking the 8AM flight to Kirawira. They will not have a chance
to exchange $$$ in Arusha. Did you note any of the exchange rates
at properties where you stayed?

It was either 1,000 or 1,100 at the lodges we stayed at (Serena and
Sopa) ... but everything at the lodges and National Parks from cost of
drinks to Park entry fees is also quoted in US dollars so they could
get by without changing any money, most likely. We exchanged some
because we were going to a market in Arusha to buy extra bottled water,
bags of rice for camera support bags, sodas and a couple of other items
but otherwise we could have paid everything else in $$.

Bill