Antwerp, Belgium: The RACISM CAPITAL of EUROPE

Old May 13th, 2006, 09:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Antwerp, Belgium: The RACISM CAPITAL of EUROPE

From the News:

-------------------------------------
BRUSSELS - The 18-year-old man who killed a black woman and injured a
Turkish woman during an apparent racist shooting in Antwerp on Thursday

has an extreme-right background.

After shooting and severely injuring the 47-year-old Turkish woman,
Hans Van Themsche, 18, then shot and killed a pregnant Malinese woman,
before killing a two-year-old native Flemish girl.
------------------------------------

THIS IS NOT AN ISOLATED EVENT!

In the last elections ONE IN THREE PEOPLE IN ANTWERP VOTED FOR RACIST
VLAAMS BLOK party! (current name is "Vlaams Belang").

The murderor is a relative of nephew of this "Vlaams Belang" MP Frieda
van Themsche. His father was also a member of the party.

We are not talking here about the inhuman immigration policies of
Denmark or rutless assimilation of minorities in France. Worse than
all.. People are being killed on the streets in the middle of EU!

IT IS TIME TO TELL "STOP" TO ANTWERP RACISM!

IT IS TIME TO TELL BELGIUM GOVERNMENT TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SHAME
IN THEIR COUNTRY!

PLEASE BOYCOTT BELGIAN PRODUCTS!!!!!!! Belgian Beer, Belgian
Chocolate, Belgian anything!

PLEASE BOYCOTT ANTWERP!

PLEASE WRITE TO BELGIAN EMBASSIES AND CONSULATES, E.U. OFFICES AND
PROTEST THIS SHAME!

Please pass this message to as many places as possible....

Old May 16th, 2006, 10:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

I must say that in my travels in Africa the expatriates who appear to
be the most racist are definitely the Belgians who live in the DRC.
I'm not making a sweeping statement about Beligians in Africa, but n
my experience, Belgians in management positions in Central Africa are
invariably horribly racist.

I come from a country that was branded as the most racist country in
the world up until the early 90's, so you'd think that I would be used
to racist views, concepts, conversations etc. but I am constantly
SHOCKED when I talk with many European ex-pats in Africa.

It's just my opinion, but if I were to rate ex-pats in terms of racism
the list (from worst, downwards) would be:
Belgians
Portuguese (ex Angolan)
Portuguese (ex Mozambiquan)
Portuguese (Portugal and South Africa)
Chinese
Lebanese and Egyptians
French
Rhodesians
Israelis
Indians
The British ex-pats who moved to South Africa in the early 80's
Pre-independance British ex-pats who left and have subsequently
returned
South Africans
Germans

Please bear in mind that I'm rating expatriates only, and not the
population in general. And this is my opinion only, based on my
experiences. I base my opinions on how I see people in mamagement
positions relate to their local black staff and colleagues.

To be honest, I have started to dread doing business with Belgians in
Africa because I can't stand being around them for long due to their
unbelievable arrogance and racism.

I'll stand back and wait for flames now...

Marc - Johannesburg

On 13 May 2006 01:57:48 -0700, "Serkan"
wrote:

From the News:

-------------------------------------

Old May 19th, 2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
[...]

No flames from me. I just spent 3 years in Kinshasa....you don't KNOW
Belgian racism!

--riverman

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Riverman, thanks for agreeing with me.

I'm curious... what are your thoughts on the up-coming elections in
the DRC?

My thoughts are simple: I predict that the country will plunge
headlong into a civil war. The Congolese have pulled the wool over the
eyes of the Americans, South Africans and Belgians who have pumped
huge amounts of money into the country which only served to strengthen
the kleptocracy and military strength of individual regions.

There is no unity in the country, and each region will be vieing for
as much power as it can get. I wouldn't like to be a mine operator in
Katanga right now. I see Uganda, Angola, Burundi, Zimbabwe and a host
of mercenaries getting involved in a very long and very bloody series
of civillian massacres. I also see a civillian uprising against
Belgians and other Europeans with devestating consequences.

I hope I'm wrong about the situation because there is a potential for
unbelievable human suffering in the region. At least, after Lumumba
was murdered, Mobuto ruled with an iron fist and managed to keep some
sort of order. That's not going to be the case this time. Che Guevara
said of Laurent Kabila: "Nothing leads me to believe he is the man of
the hour,", and I think the same could be said of his son.

Regards,
Marc

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Riverman, thanks for agreeing with me.

I'm curious... what are your thoughts on the up-coming elections in
the DRC?
My thoughts are simple: I predict that the country will plunge
headlong into a civil war. The Congolese have pulled the wool over the
eyes of the Americans, South Africans and Belgians who have pumped
huge amounts of money into the country which only served to strengthen
the kleptocracy and military strength of individual regions.

Hmm, hard to say. I was wrong when I predicted total anarchy last year when
the elections were postponed, and now I'm in Hong Kong and feel far removed
from the daily grind of Kinshasa. But I still stay in touch with friends
there and read about it on the wires, with more insights than most. I think
they will take place as planned, with lots of gripes about miscounted votes,
and the results will be generally what you expect.

A breakdown is always possible, however the real kleptocracy ended with
Mobuto, as Kabila Sr didn't have the infrastructure (or remaining resources)
to really do it right. Nonetheless, the kleptoculture still remains, so the
World Bank and other money suppliers are still a bit slow to open up the
valves quite yet, as compared to the Mobuto years. Their demand for a stable
government is sort of a long reach as a prior demand, but as long as the
Congolese must give the aura of working toward a stable government, the
money will be trickling in.

I don't see open warfare in the country, no matter what the result: the
regional militias are at maximum strength--they already have all the AK47s,
RPGs and 30mm guns they can carry--its people they lack, and there's no real
rush to join up. If there IS a civil war, it will be fought in sporatic
skirmishes in the eastern jungle and in the courts of Kinshasa. There will
be some spillover rioting in Kin, with gunfire and lockdowns like when I was
there, but the action will be in the East. But all that will be only if the
losers get all ****y. There's a fair chance that, now that they have sampled
a bit of the luxury life in Kin, they will try to continue to work their way
back in politically.

There is no unity in the country, and each region will be vieing for
as much power as it can get. I wouldn't like to be a mine operator in
Katanga right now. I see Uganda, Angola, Burundi, Zimbabwe and a host
of mercenaries getting involved in a very long and very bloody series
of civillian massacres. I also see a civillian uprising against
Belgians and other Europeans with devestating consequences.

No, I don't think there will be big civilian massacres, as there's no profit
in it. Previously, it was more of a territory/resource grab than a blood
feud, and now I think the warlords and Vice Presidents know they cannot rule
a breakaway province if they massacre the people. Kabila Sr got his power
base by courting the neighboring countries, and their current involvement is
because of debts he owed them. If Bembe gets ousted in the new government,
he may try to court Uganda, Rwanda and Angola, but the UN will stay on hand:
they are in charge of this election, and they now have a 'shoot to kill'
mandate, which they didn't have two years ago when the riots opened up in
Kinshasa. That will help keep the lid on.

I hope I'm wrong about the situation because there is a potential for
unbelievable human suffering in the region.

Actually, there is already a lot of that. Something like 5 million people
killed in the past 8 years, the bulk of them by machete.

At least, after Lumumba
was murdered, Mobuto ruled with an iron fist and managed to keep some
sort of order. That's not going to be the case this time. Che Guevara
said of Laurent Kabila: "Nothing leads me to believe he is the man of
the hour,", and I think the same could be said of his son.

Well, Mobuto's 'iron fist' was extremely disadvantageous to the vast
majority of the country, and Che was mostly ****ed at Kabila for not being
more of a violent revolutionary. I think Joseph Kabila is actually much more
of a pacifist and peacenik, and less of a kleptocrat than either of his two
predecessors. I think another 4-5 years of his cooperative rule, followed by
a more professional and legitimate politician with worldwide connections
might actually show the Congolese the path to the future. I think the vast
majority of the people feel the same way, even folks in the outer provinces,
so they will support the results and not fall in behind any
counterrevolutionary movement.

--riverman

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

What the Hell does this have to do with traveling in Africa.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"GoldenMan54" wrote in message
What the Hell does this have to do with traveling in Africa.

Look at a map, dingus. We're talking about the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Its in Africa, people travel there.

:-)

--riverman

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Mon, 22 May 2006 21:20:42 +0800, "riverman"
wrote:

BIG SNIP...
I think Joseph Kabila is actually much more
of a pacifist and peacenik, and less of a kleptocrat than either of his two
predecessors. I think another 4-5 years of his cooperative rule, followed by
a more professional and legitimate politician with worldwide connections
might actually show the Congolese the path to the future. I think the vast
majority of the people feel the same way, even folks in the outer provinces,
so they will support the results and not fall in behind any
counterrevolutionary movement.

--riverman

I hope you're right, and as we know, time wil tell. In the meantime
I'm preparing to go to Likasi again sometime next month. Many of the
mines there are feeling a bit "endangered" at the moment, and have
reviewed their security situation and decided that their radio systems
might not be up to scratch, so I've been quite busy.

Marc