Trans-Atlantic ships

Old March 19th, 2008, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Trans-Atlantic ships

Because the dollar is so week, I figger I can cut down on my time in
England before and after a cruise leaving from Dover by taking ships
across the Atlantic. Apparently this is no longer an easy or
economical thing to do.

My attempts to find information have found some but most of it is
quite old, including a 1997 post in this forum.

I want to travel from Miami after July 20 to arrive in England (Dover
preferred) no later than July 27 and from England after August 14 to
arrive in Manhattan no later than August 21.
I really don't want to fly but fear that I must.
Thank you.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

wrote in message
Because the dollar is so week, I figger I can cut down on my time in
England before and after a cruise leaving from Dover by taking ships
across the Atlantic. Apparently this is no longer an easy or
economical thing to do.

My attempts to find information have found some but most of it is
quite old, including a 1997 post in this forum.

I want to travel from Miami after July 20 to arrive in England (Dover
preferred) no later than July 27 and from England after August 14 to
arrive in Manhattan no later than August 21.
I really don't want to fly but fear that I must.

The only ship still regularly sailing Trans-Atlantic (Brooklyn, NY --
Southampton, UK) is Cunard's Queen Mary 2.
It spends 6 days at sea and costs (typically) about $1,400 one-way.
Further info at http://www.qm2-uk.co.uk/

Regards
Gerry

Old March 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

wrote in message
Because the dollar is so week, I figger I can cut down on my time in
England before and after a cruise leaving from Dover by taking ships
across the Atlantic. Apparently this is no longer an easy or
economical thing to do.

My attempts to find information have found some but most of it is
quite old, including a 1997 post in this forum.

I want to travel from Miami after July 20 to arrive in England (Dover
preferred) no later than July 27 and from England after August 14 to
arrive in Manhattan no later than August 21.
I really don't want to fly but fear that I must.

The only ship still regularly sailing Trans-Atlantic (Brooklyn, NY --
Southampton, UK) is Cunard's Queen Mary 2.
It spends 6 days at sea and costs (typically) about $1,400 one-way.
Further info at http://www.qm2-uk.co.uk/

That may be the only passenger cruise ship doing it, but there are plenty of
cargo ships doing the crossing and many have passenger facilities. This site
might help:

http://www.freightertrips.com/index.html

Colin Bignell

Old March 19th, 2008, 10:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

wrote in message
[...]

Many cargo ships (obviously), but the very few that do have passenger
facilities, for some reason unbeknown to me, cost considerably more than
sailing on the QM2!

Gerry