Money Exchange in KL

Old September 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Tony Li

Default Money Exchange in KL

Where can I get better exchange rate? Does KLIA exchange Hong Kong bank
notes?

Old September 12th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Peter L

"Tony Li" wrote in message
Where can I get better exchange rate? Does KLIA exchange Hong Kong bank
notes?

The general consensus seems to be your own bank ATM card gives the best
rates. I don't know if this applies specifically to HK banks and Malaysia
currency. I would say that airports are where you'd find the worse rates.

Old September 12th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Miguel Cruz

Tony Li wrote:
Where can I get better exchange rate? Does KLIA exchange Hong Kong bank
notes?

You will probably get the best exchange rate using an ATM card. Of course
you can change Hong Kong bank notes at KLIA but like with any bank note
exchange the rates will not be that great.

That said, there are some pretty good moneychangers in the center of the
city. Look for the tiny places with just one employee who is an old man
wearing a pencil behind his ear - they seem to have the best rates.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 12th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Peter L

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Tony Li wrote:
Where can I get better exchange rate? Does KLIA exchange Hong Kong bank
notes?

You will probably get the best exchange rate using an ATM card. Of course
you can change Hong Kong bank notes at KLIA but like with any bank note
exchange the rates will not be that great.

That said, there are some pretty good moneychangers in the center of the
city. Look for the tiny places with just one employee who is an old man
wearing a pencil behind his ear - they seem to have the best rates.

My personal and unscientific experience with HK currency exchange shops is
that the shops at the corner are usually more expensive than shops not
located on a corner. I don't know why or even if it is indeed true. But I
seem to see it that way, on my random checks.

Old September 13th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Tony Li

Do you mean that the best rate is getting my money from my ATM card from the
ATM?

"Peter L" ¦b¶l¥ó
¤¤¼¶¼g...

Old September 14th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Pan

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:34:33 +0800, "Tony Li"
wrote:

Do you mean that the best rate is getting my money from my ATM card from the
ATM?

Undoubtedly, that's what he meant. And I would tend to concur.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old September 14th, 2003, 10:15 PM
suebo

There are a lot of little money exchange places around, the rates are
pretty much the same at most of them, give or take a sen here or there.
Make sure you change your money back before you leave as once you have
left the country with ringgit it is worthless anywhere else.

--
suebo