Train from Newark to Penn Station?

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Default Train from Newark to Penn Station?

How convenient, in terms of traveling with luggage, is the connection
from Newark Airport to Penn Station?
With Priceline, we wound up at the Affinia Manhattan, next to Penn
Station, and since I assume that there is a rail connection (PATH?)
I'm wondering if it's a good option for us. (I must admit that I'm
less familiar with EWR than JFK)

My main concern isn't the travel time, but the convenience of
traveling with luggage. There are four of us with probably two bags
each plus computers, extra carry-ons, etc. (We've got formal wear for
a QM2 cruise and then 6 days in NYC, so that's a lot of clothes for a
lot of different situations).

Six weeks from the Eurodam in the Baltics, 90 days until the QM2!!
Mark

Old May 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JRachels

Mark (SF) wrote:
How convenient, in terms of traveling with luggage, is the connection
from Newark Airport to Penn Station?
With Priceline, we wound up at the Affinia Manhattan, next to Penn
Station, and since I assume that there is a rail connection (PATH?)
I'm wondering if it's a good option for us. (I must admit that I'm
less familiar with EWR than JFK)

My main concern isn't the travel time, but the convenience of
traveling with luggage. There are four of us with probably two bags
each plus computers, extra carry-ons, etc. (We've got formal wear for
a QM2 cruise and then 6 days in NYC, so that's a lot of clothes for a
lot of different situations).

Six weeks from the Eurodam in the Baltics, 90 days until the QM2!!
Mark

You'll have to take the monorail from the airport to the train
connection. Then a train to Penn Station. You can take AMRAK or New
Jersey Transit. The second is cheaper but, there will be Red Caps
available with AMTRAK not with New Jersey Transit. You will have to lug
the luggage onto the monorail then onto the trains then from the train
station to the hotel.

All in all, I'd arrange for a van. Go to www.limores.net Their prices
are pretty reasonable. I use them all the time.

Joyce

--
"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of
Old May 31st, 2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On May 30, 5:57*pm, JRachels wrote:
Mark (SF) wrote:
[...]

Thanks Joyce.
(I can't see "monorail" without thinking of the Simpsons epidode)

Mark
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Mark (SF)" wrote in message
How convenient, in terms of traveling with luggage, is the connection
from Newark Airport to Penn Station?
With Priceline, we wound up at the Affinia Manhattan, next to Penn
Station, and since I assume that there is a rail connection (PATH?)
I'm wondering if it's a good option for us. (I must admit that I'm
less familiar with EWR than JFK)

My main concern isn't the travel time, but the convenience of
traveling with luggage. There are four of us with probably two bags
each plus computers, extra carry-ons, etc. (We've got formal wear for
a QM2 cruise and then 6 days in NYC, so that's a lot of clothes for a
lot of different situations).

Six weeks from the Eurodam in the Baltics, 90 days until the QM2!!
Mark

It's convenient except from the perspective of shlepping a lot of luggage.

To get to the monorail you have to go up elevators at the airport. Then
down elevators (maybe escalators) to the track level at EWR Airport NJ
Transit Station. From there it's only about 15 - 20 minutes into NYC. But
then you have to schlep the luggage up escalators or steps into Penn
Station... and again up escalators to street level.

Newark airport is actually much more convenient to NYC than JFK airport.

Train schedules depend on the day of the week (weekday vs. weekend).
http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...ainSchedulesTo
Make sure you plug in Newark Airport and not Newark Penn Station. They're
different stops.

--Tom

Old May 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Debbie[_2_]

Mark,

We did it, four travellers, complete with suitcases in peak hour travel time
and a very chatty NYPD cop kept us company all the way. Easily done

Debbie

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Hi, Mark,

You are my travel envy right now--two big trips, how fun!

Like Debbie, we've done that exact transfer with our family of 4 many
times, but we have a one roller/one backpack rule per person. The cost
advantage for 4 begins to deteriorate when you compare fare (currently
about $12pp IIRC) vs. other, more comfortable options. The primary
advantage of rail is time, as it is usually faster than cab or limo
service considering car traffic issues.

So, if you're not trying to make a show or other appointment in the
city, I'd vote avoid the schlep and get door-to-door service. A cab
ride is actually not that expensive for 4 (I think it was about $60 on
the meter plus tolls and tip the last time we cabbed it), but a
comparably priced limo (thanks, Joyce, for that recommendation, I've
needed a good, current NYC limo rec) is certainly the way to go if you
are planning ahead--prepay with credit card, someone is waiting for
you on arrival (maybe even inside with sign with your name on it--
that's always fun, and the extra hand with baggage helps!).

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old May 31st, 2009, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JRachels

D Ball wrote:
[...]

If you choose to use them, when you book there is an area for a promo
code. Use 2009 in that area and you'll get a 10% discount. If you have a
Delta FF account, you can also enter that and get Delta points for the trip.

I've been using them for years. They're always on time (usually 15
minutes early) the cars are clean and the drivers are very polite.
Pricing is usually about the same or less than a cab and the trip is a
lot more comfortable.

Glad I could be of some help.

Joyce

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JRachels

If you choose to use them, when you book there is an area for a promo
code. Use 2009 in that area and you'll get a 10% discount. If you have a
Delta FF account, you can also enter that and get Delta points for the
trip.

I've been using them for years. They're always on time (usually 15
minutes early) the cars are clean and the drivers are very polite.
Pricing is usually about the same or less than a cab and the trip is a
lot more comfortable.

Glad I could be of some help.

Joyce

Sorry to reply to my own post but one more thing about LimoRes.com. I
also use them to drop me off/pick me up from the NY piers. Nice to not
have to fight the 'touristas' in the cab line. ;-)

JR

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

If you choose to use them, when you book there is an area for a promo
code. Use 2009 in that area and you'll get a 10% discount. If you have a
Delta FF account, you can also enter that and get Delta points for the trip.

I've been using them for years. They're always on time (usually 15
minutes early) the cars are clean and the drivers are very polite.
Pricing is usually about the same or less than a cab and the trip is a
lot more comfortable.

Even more good scoop, Joyce, plus the tip about using them for pier
service. I've already filed this one away!

So what about their pick-up service at EWR...do they come inside the
terminal & greet you with a sign? I know that has become more
difficult for private car services at many airports due to various
logistical issues, so we've had some that will and some that simply
ask you to call when you're 5 minutes from exiting, they move from the
holding lot to the pick-up point. It doesn't often matter to us, but
when traveling with a lot of baggage or someone in a wheel chair, that
extra person's help can be a relief.

Thanks, again.

Diana

Old May 31st, 2009, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JRachels

D Ball wrote:
[...]

That's an option you can request when booking with them. I always choose
it. I don't want to be lugging luggage all over the place.

JR