Alternate vacation

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
Jeff Gersten

Default Alternate vacation

If any of you read the thread I started DO NOT EVER BOOK A UNIWORLD
CRUISE, you read that Uniworld ruined our vacation by chartering out our
river cruise in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Some of you suggested that we not let then ruin the vacation and make
alternate plans. Well, I spent much of today with a brick and mortar
travel agent. We are now flying to Amsterdam on KLM and have a hotel
package through their travel partner Northwest Airlines.

Hey, it's not a cruise, but my wife really had her heart set on seeing
Amsterdam and at least we will be doing that. And it will be for a cost
of about $1000 less. It is one day less, and unlike the cruise only
breakfast will be included. But, I am sure that we will have a good
time.

BTW, thank you to all who replied in that thread. If I can keep even one
person from booking Uniworld and being screwed by them It was worth the
effort posting it.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:53 PM
MsPatty4

Some of you suggested that we not let then ruin the vacation and make
alternate plans. Well, I spent much of today with a brick and mortar
travel agent. We are now flying to Amsterdam on KLM and have a hotel
package through their travel partner Northwest Airlines.

I know you will have a wonderful vacation. Thanks for the warning about
Uniworld.

~ Patty
Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:58 PM
Charles

In article ,
Jeff Gersten wrote:

Hey, it's not a cruise, but my wife really had her heart set on seeing
Amsterdam and at least we will be doing that. And it will be for a cost
of about $1000 less. It is one day less, and unlike the cruise only
breakfast will be included. But, I am sure that we will have a good
time.

Glad to hear that you worked out an alternative vacation. You definitly
made the right decision not doing the alternative Uniworld offered. You
would have been unhappy on the alternate Uniworld cruise thinking about
what they had done. And finally I think posting about what they did was
informative to the newsgroup. I certainly don't intend to book with
them after reading about it.

--
Charles
Old October 23rd, 2003, 12:27 AM
Howard Garland

Jeff Gersten wrote:

Some of you suggested that we not let then ruin the vacation and make
alternate plans. Well, I spent much of today with a brick and mortar
travel agent. We are now flying to Amsterdam on KLM and have a hotel
package through their travel partner Northwest Airlines.

Hey, it's not a cruise, but my wife really had her heart set on seeing
Amsterdam and at least we will be doing that. And it will be for a cost
of about $1000 less. It is one day less, and unlike the cruise only
breakfast will be included. But, I am sure that we will have a good
time.

Amsterdam is THE BEST! You are going to have an awesome time, man. While
you're there, have one on me.

Howard

Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:53 AM
Mike Cordelli

Amsterdam is a great place. Grab some guide books at the bookstore or
online and start planning what you want do to. Lots of great places to see
if you are in to art, some of the old canal houses have been made into
merchant museums, the Ann Frank house, and of course the out of this world
Dutch Pancakes in both sweet and savory.

You will have a great time

Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:24 AM
fishman

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
om...
Amsterdam is a great place. Grab some guide books at the bookstore or
online and start planning what you want do to. Lots of great places to

see
if you are in to art, some of the old canal houses have been made into
merchant museums, the Ann Frank house, and of course the out of this world
Dutch Pancakes in both sweet and savory.

You will have a great time

CHECK to see which days the museums are closed - I think Mondays? That
could put a real damper on the trip! Also, I thought cabs in D.C. were
scary until I went to Amsterdam. Enjoy!

Chris

Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:36 AM
D Ball

Jeff:

I've followed your Uniworld saga with interest. Sorry it didn't work out.

But I agree with the consensus--you're going to have a great time exploring
Amsterdam! We've been a couple of times--most recently this August--but never
for long enough to settle in and savor all of the wonderful things that make
Amsterdam so inviting. You and your wife are in for a treat!

As Mike suggested, get to a library, check out some travel guides and start
reading up on what's available that looks interesting to you. And even if
you read it long ago, I highly recommend reading Anne Frank's diary again,
now. It will make your visit so much more meaningful.

You will soon discover that pedestrians are second class citizens--cyclists
rule! We rented from MacBike at the Leideplein (which is a fun place to check
out, esp. at night/weekends). Here's their helpful website: http://www.macbike.nl/english/locations.html
One of the most amazing things I've ever seen is the gazillion bikes parked
outside the central train station...it's worth a picture! You might arrive
there if you train from Schipol? It's an easy transfer....

Enjoy!

Diana Ball
Near Houston, TX
http://www.dianaball.net

NCL Sea – W Carib - Holidays 99
RCI Explorer – E Carib - Holidays 00
RCI Rhapsody – W Carib - Holidays 01 (back-to-back)
NCL Star – Hawaii - June 02
Dawn Princess – Alaska - July 02
Star Princess – Mex Riviera - Holidays 02
RCI Serenade – Transatlantic – Maiden 08/04/03
RCI Mariner – E Carib - Holidays 03
Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:07 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jeff Gersten wrote:

We are now flying to Amsterdam on KLM and have a hotel
package through their travel partner Northwest Airlines.

I am very happy that you found an alternative vacation that both you and
your wife will enjoy. I hope you have a fantastic trip, even if it isn't
a cruise.

sue

Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Brenda

Oh yes, Mike is correct on the pancakes, as we had them on the
stopover to Venice on KLM. But may I include the best coffee, a real
surprise. I bought 5#!