Western 7 Night from Tampa Question?

Old February 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Western 7 Night from Tampa Question?

Hello,

We're sailing March 4 from Tampa, but staying in Tampa the 3rd, and 11
post and pre sailing. Are there any "can't miss or don't miss"
attractions, or restaurants, in the Tampa area?

I am rather fond of cuban sandwiches......
Old February 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/12/06 1:32 PM Dale M consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

Hello,

We're sailing March 4 from Tampa, but staying in Tampa the 3rd, and 11
post and pre sailing. Are there any "can't miss or don't miss"
attractions, or restaurants, in the Tampa area?

I am rather fond of cuban sandwiches......

The Florida Aquarium complex is right near the cruise port. They have a
policy of letting cruisers check their luggage there for free. An
aquarium ticket gives you free in-out all day so after you disembark you
can do this before going to check-in to your hotel. Right in front of
the aquarium you can pick up a trolley that will take you to Ybor City.
This is Tampa's prime entertainment center. Having been named after a
prominent Cuban cigar factory owner, you will find all kinds of elements
of Cuban heritage including restaurants in Ybor City.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Brian K wrote:

The Florida Aquarium complex is right near the cruise port. They have a
policy of letting cruisers check their luggage there for free. An
aquarium ticket gives you free in-out all day so after you disembark you
can do this before going to check-in to your hotel.

Thanks for this great tip! My post-cruise flight out of Tampa doesn't
leave until 7:00pm or so. I was wondering what I'd do for the day. The
aquarium sounds like a great idea. We're hitting Ybor City pre-cruise.
Can't wait.

Lee

Old February 15th, 2006, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Dale M wrote:

Hello,

We're sailing March 4 from Tampa, but staying in Tampa the 3rd, and 11
post and pre sailing. Are there any "can't miss or don't miss"
attractions, or restaurants, in the Tampa area?

I am rather fond of cuban sandwiches......

I just returned from the Tampa area and found the exhibit currently at
the MOSI - Museum of Science & Industry - called The Body just
fascinating. Actual human bodies that have been donated are on display
showing for instance smokers lungs vs. normal ones, the effects of
Alzheimers on the brain, the growing fetus, etc. Very informative! It
was to run for a few weeks but I understand it is being held over until
the end of March by popular demand. I wish the exhibit would travel
around the US and come to Pittsburgh. I'd like to show my husband and
maybe help him to quit smoking!

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/13/06 8:17 AM LeeNY consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
Brian K wrote:

The Florida Aquarium complex is right near the cruise port. They have a
policy of letting cruisers check their luggage there for free. An
aquarium ticket gives you free in-out all day so after you disembark you
can do this before going to check-in to your hotel.

Thanks for this great tip! My post-cruise flight out of Tampa doesn't
leave until 7:00pm or so. I was wondering what I'd do for the day. The
aquarium sounds like a great idea. We're hitting Ybor City pre-cruise.
Can't wait.

Lee

Just be sure to call the aquarium in advance. Sometimes the secure
rooms where they would keep your luggage are in use and unavailable.
The information desk is where you would go. The aquarium has some great
exhibits including a floor to ceiling Coral Reef environment. If you
have your dive card, you can reserve a guided shark swim! Your ticket
also gives you entry to nearby navel / coast guard vessels.

Old February 15th, 2006, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Travlr travlr :

I just returned from the Tampa area and found the exhibit currently at
the MOSI - Museum of Science & Industry - called The Body just
fascinating. Actual human bodies that have been donated are on display
showing for instance smokers lungs vs. normal ones, the effects of
Alzheimers on the brain, the growing fetus, etc. Very informative! It
was to run for a few weeks but I understand it is being held over until
the end of March by popular demand. I wish the exhibit would travel
around the US and come to Pittsburgh. I'd like to show my husband and
maybe help him to quit smoking!

Sounds like the exhibit here in Toronto called Body Works 2. I tried to go
last saturday only to find after paying for parking that the line was four
and a half hours long. IE. I arrived at 5:30 pm and they were selling
tickets for the 10 pm display.

Next Saturday I plan to get there by 10 am and hopefully get tickets for noon
or so.

Check out http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp and click on future
shows. Hope this helps.

Earl Colby Pottinger

--
Cruising, building a Catamaran, Rebuilding Cabin, New Peroxide Still Design,
Writting SF, Programming FOSS - What happened to the time?