Question for New Yorkers

Old April 28th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Question for New Yorkers

Ok, here is the question. Is it worth the $100 I can save on a round trip
ticket on Southwest Airlines to fly into Islip-McArthur Airport, Long Island
and then to take transportation (rental car, train, bus???) to Flushing YMCA
where I have reservation. The next day, I will be going to JFK to board
Egypt Air. Then when we come back in 2 weeks, I will probably have to take
the same trip back to get flight home???

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Sandra B
Huntsville, Alabama

Old April 28th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Yes, this is reasonable- UNLESS your Islip arrival is on a weekday (Mon-Fri) between about 4-6 p.m.

When you arrive at ISLIP, look for a shared ride van to Ronkonkoma Station at the west end of Baggage Claim.
This runs about half hourly, takes 10 minutes, and costs about $5.

At Ronkonkoma Station there is hourly express train service to Woodside Station, 7 days a week, takes 1 1/4 hours.
Most trains actually stop at Woodside although a few require a same platform transfer at Jamaica. Costs $9.50.
At Woodside, take the subway to Flushing. Takes 15 minutes, costs $2.

BUT there is a gap in train service, only on weekdays, leaving Ronkonkoma Station, 4:46-7:13 p.m.
If your plane lands between 4-6 p.m. you will fall into this gap.
There is no inexpensive alternative, except to wait until 7:13.
No gap weekends!

From Flushing to JFK, take the #7 train (local) to 74th Street and transfer to the Jamaica bound E train at 74th Street (35 minutes, $2).
Transfer at "Jamaica Station-Sutphin-Archer" station for AirTrain to JFK, (10 minutes; $5)

Returning, everything works in reverse.

Larry Gould

--
"There's no such thing as Free Parking!"
Larry Gould

Old April 28th, 2006, 04:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Thanks
Sandra B
"Larry Gould" wrote in message
Yes, this is reasonable- UNLESS your Islip arrival is on a weekday
(Mon-Fri) between about 4-6 p.m.

When you arrive at ISLIP, look for a shared ride van to Ronkonkoma Station
at the west end of Baggage Claim.
This runs about half hourly, takes 10 minutes, and costs about $5.

At Ronkonkoma Station there is hourly express train service to Woodside
Station, 7 days a week, takes 1 1/4 hours.
Most trains actually stop at Woodside although a few require a same
platform transfer at Jamaica. Costs $9.50.
At Woodside, take the subway to Flushing. Takes 15 minutes, costs $2.

BUT there is a gap in train service, only on weekdays, leaving Ronkonkoma
Station, 4:46-7:13 p.m.
If your plane lands between 4-6 p.m. you will fall into this gap.
There is no inexpensive alternative, except to wait until 7:13.
No gap weekends!

From Flushing to JFK, take the #7 train (local) to 74th Street and
transfer to the Jamaica bound E train at 74th Street (35 minutes, $2).