What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

Default What's your biggest pet peeve when cruising?

On 10/1/2007 10:41 AM number6 consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
Hell I generally find laughable for men to show up in Speedos at all.
The body type that can actually look good in a Speedo is VERY rare, even
amongst those who work on it. It would ruin my lunch, or breakfast or
even light snack for someone to show up Speedos

Hell ... It would ruin my lunch or breakfast or even light snack if I
showed up in speedos ...

I wouldn't turn away if Brad Pitt, Chris Daughtry, or that guy on
Torchwood were in a thong. I'd be sure to have a camera handy. ;-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 2nd, 2007, 08:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/1/2007 10:39 PM Cathy consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:59:11 -0400, Brian
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:56:07 GMT, Cathy wrote:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 07:21:23 -0500, "George Leppla"
wrote:

"Cathy" wrote

Okay, this is what I get stuck on. How on Earth can people who wear
casual clothes on formal night detract from the overall expected
experience?

Picture a bouquet of roses. Now picture a bouquet of roses with a plume of
ragweed in it. The ragween detracts from the overall beauty of the roses.

I guess I see the people in casual wear as daisies, rather than
ragweed. Not as glamorous as the roses, a little out of place in the
bouquet, but equally beautiful. Men in Speedos would be the ragweed.

Speedos would be ragweed. Perhaps those who deliberately disregard
rules would be something better than ragweed but less than roses.
perhaps a less obnoxious weed.
Although considering how people dress in general, it might be like
Virginia Creeper.

You seem to think it is an either/or situation.

Don't know what you mean by that...

There seems to be an implication that those who dress down somehow are
decent, pleasant, friendly, sober, etc. people but that those who
dress up are loud, boorish and drunk. Some are but hardly a majority.
And those who dress down are hardly all the kind who, by their actions
and demeanor, improve the ambiance.

Not sure how you inferred that from what I actually said. My point was
that a person's character is far more important than his clothing, and
I would rather have dinner with casually-dressed person of substance
than a well-dressed asshole. A dressed-up asshole is still an asshole.

It seems hypocritical to me in one breath to state that you aren't
bothered by what other people wear. Then you rank on men in speedos.
You *are* bothered by what other people wear. It's just you are more
selective as to what bothers you. Also, if you are going to be offended
by men in speedos shouldn't you be equally offended by women in thong
bikinis? Do you see the lack of balance in the logic here?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:33:17 -0400, Brian K wrote:

On a gay cruise

Make that homosexual cruise.

Thanks.
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 02:28:36 -0400, Brian K wrote:

Call me politically incorrect. If he's built, has a nice face and a well
formed package, I say strut those speedos. If people mistake him for
Shamoo and try to roll him back into the sea -- there isn't enough
volume of cloth to cover him up.

This goes for women in bikinis and thongs. If what you got to show
ain't worth lookin' at, then don't show it

What do you care?
--
__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:06:31 -0400, Brian K
wrote:

It seems hypocritical to me in one breath to state that you aren't
bothered by what other people wear. Then you rank on men in speedos.
You *are* bothered by what other people wear. It's just you are more
selective as to what bothers you. Also, if you are going to be offended
by men in speedos shouldn't you be equally offended by women in thong
bikinis? Do you see the lack of balance in the logic here?

When did I say I was *bothered* by men in Speedos? I would notice them
and I would try hard not to laugh out loud, but it wouldn't have any
impact whatsoever on my dinner experience or my enjoyment of the
cruise.

And if someone asked my for my biggest pet peeve when cruising, I
certainly wouldn't say "men in Speedos"!

Although I haven't taken my first cruise yet, I'm fairly certain my
biggest pet peeve will have something to do with smokers in a
non-smoking area. It won't be men in Speedos or people dressed
casually at formal night.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 1, 5:04 pm, Nonnymus wrote:
LeeNY wrote:

If it were only that easy, Brian. Once I'm at the front of the line, I
have no problem walking through, and saying no thanks to the picture.
The part I find annoying is having to stand in the line, knowing that
at the end of it, is a photographer holding up the works. Usually,
the disembarkation lines are set up in such a way that bypassing the
line is an impossibility - it's single file - trying to push your way
past the line would not be particularly considerate to your fellow
passengers.

Lee, in many cases I've experienced, you can simply step out of the line
and bypass it to avoid the photopests. You might get some dirty looks
from first time cruisers who think the photopest stopover is mandatory,
but the experienced folk will join you. As you pass the photopest, just
say, "No photos," and keep walking.

Leaving the dining room? No problem walking right past the photogs. On
a narrow gangway? There's no "stepping out of line"...there is no
alternative than to follow the person in front of you. Especially, if
there might be someone in a scooter, wheelchair, or with a walker, or
even a larger person. I've been stuck on many occasions. Sometimes,
you can squeeze by without causing too much disruption, but most of
the time, trying to squeeze by would be just plain rude, imho.

Lee

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
You don't stand any taller by

Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Boomer

"Cathy" wrote in message
People have different definitions of "formal" and "appropriate." I
spend a lot of time in jogging pants, so for me, "dressing up" means
pants with a zipper!

Cathy

With all of the comments being posted about how formal is formal I really
haven't seen that much disregard for their "rules". I'm not one for dress
shirts or ties but I'll conform to wearing a decent 3 button shirt under my
jacket without a tie. If after I'm seated I get uncomfortable I'll remove my
jacket. The extreme examples of people not dressing are exaggerated in my
opinion. Sure there might be some people who never dress & still show up on
formal evenings but there're far & few between. My dressing down on formal
night wouldn't upset anyone at my table as I probably wouldn't have chosen
to sit with someone with those standards anyway. PC dining is the way to go.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:52:59 GMT, Cathy wrote:

Although I haven't taken my first cruise yet,

LOL
--
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cathy[_4_]

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:36:36 -0400, Chrissy Cruiser
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:52:59 GMT, Cathy wrote:

Although I haven't taken my first cruise yet,

LOL

FOAD