carry-on bag size constraints

Old March 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default carry-on bag size constraints

I am about to make a hard case for a set of bagpipes (historical
replica Scottish Border bellows pipes, unusual design, so I can't
use an off-the-shelf case, and anyway I prefer to make my own).
I'd like it to meet every possible carry-on restriction. As far
as I can tell, 22" x 14" x 8" meets everybody's spec, and I could
get the pipes into that. The width is way more than I need; the
length is the difficult bit, I'd rather not take the tenor drones
apart.

Are there any airlines that have any allowable dimension less
than those?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
I am about to make a hard case for a set of bagpipes (historical
replica Scottish Border bellows pipes, unusual design, so I can't
use an off-the-shelf case, and anyway I prefer to make my own).
I'd like it to meet every possible carry-on restriction. As far
as I can tell, 22" x 14" x 8" meets everybody's spec, and I could
get the pipes into that. The width is way more than I need; the
length is the difficult bit, I'd rather not take the tenor drones
apart.

Are there any airlines that have any allowable dimension less
than those?

Some planes, like regional jets, don't have this much onboard stowage
and you would have to gate check it. Additionally, even if within
limits, it might not fit under your seat, and the overheads might be
full when you board. I would suggest making it heavy duty, in case it
gets tossed in with other luggage.
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Sharkbait

Jack Campin wrote;

Are there any airlines that have any allowable dimension less
than those?

It would be a shame to arrive at the airport with your custom case only to
find out it was an inch over one of the allowable dimensions. If you
already have tickets or a carrier in mind, perhaps you may want to contact
them for their allowable dimensions.

If you are traveling more than one carrier, build your case to the most
restrictive dimensions of the airline you travel. Many or most of the
airline websites post the maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage. Good
luck.

rg

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Jack Campin - bogus address

"Sharkbait" wrote:
Jack Campin wrote;

[ As far as I can tell, 22" x 14" x 8" meets everybody's spec ]
Are there any airlines that have any allowable dimension less
than those?

It would be a shame to arrive at the airport with your custom case
only to find out it was an inch over one of the allowable dimensions.
If you already have tickets or a carrier in mind, perhaps you may want
to contact them for their allowable dimensions.

I'm attempting to make one that will last indefinitely, not something
for a single trip.

If you are traveling more than one carrier, build your case to the most
restrictive dimensions of the airline you travel. Many or most of the
airline websites post the maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage. Good
luck.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I've already looked at the
allowable dimensions for about 20 airlines and that was the minimum
I came up with. I'm asking if anyone's seen a smaller limit in any
dimension.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air
E F

Years ago my husband took his banjo on a trip. He didn't want to
check it and the airline would not allow him to carry it on without
buying a seat for the banjo....I think it was half price. We strapped
the banjo in next to us. People on the flight were so funny....one man
wanted to buy the banjo a drink and another wanted the banjo's mileage.
There were many other comments from fellow passengers that I can't
recall. We decided that the fare for the banjo was worth every penny
as there were so many laughs. That was the last time the banjo went on
vacation.
Best wishes,
Ellie

Old March 10th, 2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Sharkbait

Larry in AZ wrote;

Get an approved ATA case with foam cut to fit, check the item, and be done
with it.

Playing games with carry-ons is for the stupid. If one travels regularly
with such items, then one should have a safe method to ship it.

He takes pride in his instrument, wants to protect it, and merely wants to
contruct a custom case to carry it in. I don't believe he is stupid or
playing games. His question is a good one. Why should he have to purchase
some TSA approved piece of **** made in a communist country to cover his ass
(and his bagpipes). The TSA probably gets a handsome cut for flogging
somebody else's crap.

He is probably better off boiling it down to the smallest dimensions offered
by any airline that he may encounter. That way, he eliminates dealing with
all the TSA screwball idiots and some of their stupid ambiguous regulations.
Yeah, if I have to buy a seat for my bagpipes, make sure they get the miles
so I can pay another 15 cents a mile to transfer them back to me. Bull
****.

Quite frankly, both the airlines and the TSA suck big time. God forbid if
he checks his bagpipes and custom case at check in. It's unlikely that he
will ever see them again, at least in one piece.

rg

Old March 10th, 2008, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Jack Campin - bogus address

Are there any airlines that have any allowable dimension less
than those? [22" x 14" x 8"]

If you are traveling more than one carrier, build your case to the most
restrictive dimensions of the airline you travel. Many or most of the
airline websites post the maximum dimensions of carry-on luggage. Good
luck.

Get an approved ATA case with foam cut to fit, check the item, and be
done with it.

How (and where) is an "approved ATA case" defined?

Playing games with carry-ons is for the stupid. If one travels regularly
with such items, then one should have a safe method to ship it.

Exactly. Which is why I prefer to make my own, it'll be better than
what I can buy - and if I know the dimensions I'm working to, it will
also be smaller. (I have been making and using my own instrument
cases for many years, but they've all been clearly inside or clearly
outside the carry-on limit before now, this is the first time it's
been an issue).

As I said, the crunch for me is the length. Does any airline anywhere
restrict carry-on to something less than 22"? Anything less than that
requires a different design.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Darryl

On Mar 9, 12:46*pm, Larry in AZ
wrote:

Get an approved ATA case with foam cut to fit, check the item, and be done
with it.

Playing games with carry-ons is for the stupid. *If one travels regularly
with such items, then one should have a safe method to ship it.

There's also the inevitable delay at security, where all the other
passengers wait while TSA examines your home-made case full of strange
tubes.

If the case is home-made, then theoretically it should be possible to
make it checked-baggage-handler-monkey proof.

If he fears baggage theft, he should also bring the case with him when
he goes out to eat, and set it on the chair next to him Because it
can get stolen from his hotel or car, too.

Old March 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.music.makers.bagpipe
[email protected]

They made me roll my nutsack onto a big stick, and tied it off to my
leg. Apparently men of lesser nutsack size were mad about mine
dragging behind, and them tripping over it.