Japan's Other Places

Old October 22nd, 2003, 04:26 PM
Gerry

Default Japan's Other Places

In this newsgroup we repeatedly cover Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe. On the
odd occasion we cover the Frommer "B" list: Takayama, the Kiso Valley,
Matsui, Himeji, etc.

What other favorite places, off the beaten (tour book) path or
otherwise, do repeat-visitors like? Particularly between Tokyo and
Hokkaido, if anyone has much ambling experience there.

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:17 AM
Gerry

In article , Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

Gerry writes:

What other favorite places, off the beaten (tour book) path or
otherwise, do repeat-visitors like? Particularly between Tokyo and
Hokkaido, if anyone has much ambling experience there.

Well, not much time now to write extensively about it, but generally:
Travel up the west coast of Honshu and come back on the other
side. Start with Noto-Hanto then follow the route via Yamagata up to
Aomori. Something like that. Few tourists and even most Japanese
haven't been there. Lots of nature, mountains, vulcanos etc. on the
way.

Cool. I think the Booth books that I've purchased and never read spend
some time up there. Though I don't know how long ago there were
written. When you have time post any details you might like to add...

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:55 PM

In article ,
Gerry wrote:

In this newsgroup we repeatedly cover Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe. On the
odd occasion we cover the Frommer "B" list: Takayama, the Kiso Valley,
Matsui, Himeji, etc.

What other favorite places, off the beaten (tour book) path or
otherwise, do repeat-visitors like? Particularly between Tokyo and
Hokkaido, if anyone has much ambling experience there.

5 colored lakes (goshiki numa)
Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:58 PM
John W.

Gerry wrote:
In this newsgroup we repeatedly cover Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka, Kobe. On
the odd occasion we cover the Frommer "B" list: Takayama, the Kiso
Valley, Matsui, Himeji, etc.

What other favorite places, off the beaten (tour book) path or
otherwise, do repeat-visitors like? Particularly between Tokyo and
Hokkaido, if anyone has much ambling experience there.

In that corridor I like the region around Sendai; good hot springs,
excellent hiking. As you know, though, I'm a Kansai lover, and in that
part of the world I think Tottori is often overlooked. There's also a
small fish market in Akashi that I've never been to but want to visit
sometime; it's really not supposed to be anything special, but even
though I have passed through Akashi a thousand times I've never gotten
out to explore the old castle ruins nor any other part of the city. Same
for Kakogawa; there are supposed to be some good temples there but I
never got around to seeing them!

John W.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Gerry

In article , John W.
wrote:

As you know, though, I'm a Kansai lover, and in that part of the
world I think Tottori is often overlooked. There's also a small fish
market in Akashi that I've never been to but want to visit sometime;
it's really not supposed to be anything special, but even though I
have passed through Akashi a thousand times I've never gotten out to
explore the old castle ruins nor any other part of the city.

Speaking of which, in histories I read stuff about Lake Biwa and wonder
if there are areas around there that might be worth the visit...

--
///--- Vote for the richest Republican. He understand the common man.
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:03 AM
John W.

Gerry wrote:
In article , John W.
wrote:

As you know, though, I'm a Kansai lover, and in that part of the
world I think Tottori is often overlooked. There's also a small
fish market in Akashi that I've never been to but want to visit
sometime; it's really not supposed to be anything special, but even
though I have passed through Akashi a thousand times I've never
gotten out to explore the old castle ruins nor any other part of
the city.

Speaking of which, in histories I read stuff about Lake Biwa and
wonder if there are areas around there that might be worth the
visit...

Been over a month since you posted this, but my wife recently went to
that area to visit her sister in Hikone. Said it was very nice and that
there's lots of info (locally available) on the more historical side of
that general area. Considering that region was for many years the center
of Nobnaga and then Hideyoshi's struggles, I think it'd be a very cool
place to get a little lost.

John W.

Old December 5th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Gerry

In article , John W.
wrote:

Speaking of which, in histories I read stuff about Lake Biwa and
wonder if there are areas around there that might be worth the
visit...

Been over a month since you posted this, but my wife recently went to
that area to visit her sister in Hikone. Said it was very nice and that
there's lots of info (locally available) on the more historical side of
that general area. Considering that region was for many years the center
of Nobnaga and then Hideyoshi's struggles, I think it'd be a very cool
place to get a little lost.

I was in this great sake bar in Kyoto a couple of years back and some
Americans were asking the ex-pat Israeli owner what a good day trip
might be. Everybody agreed that Hikone was an excellent location.
Since then we've been planning our next Kyoto run will include it.

Your wife liked Hikone proper or the "general area" that she found
things interesting?

--
First they gerrymander us into one-party fiefs. Then they tell us they only
care about the swing districts. They they complain about voter apathy.
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM
John W.

Gerry wrote:
In article , John W.
wrote:

[...]

Her sister lives within a stone's throw of the castle, and she just
liked the feeling of the place, so to speak.The best recommendation I
have is that she said I would really love the town. Having said that,
she isn't the greatest lover of history; but she said it was pleasant to
walk around, there were some nice parks, and my brother in law said
there's lots of good hiking and some good remote temples.

Now if I can just manage to go there myself; I've been wanting to go
ever since reading Hideyoshi earlier this year.

John W.

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Gerry

In article , John W.
wrote:

Her sister lives within a stone's throw of the castle, and she just
liked the feeling of the place, so to speak.The best recommendation I
have is that she said I would really love the town. Having said that,
she isn't the greatest lover of history; but she said it was pleasant to
walk around, there were some nice parks, and my brother in law said
there's lots of good hiking and some good remote temples.

Sounds fabulous, particularly if she's not particularly historically
driven but loved it anyway. Okay then; it's on my short list for this
spring.

Now if I can just manage to go there myself; I've been wanting to go
ever since reading Hideyoshi earlier this year.

What Hideyoshi? You mean "Taiko" by Yoshikawa? I read that this year
and it floored me. A fat read but I may even do it again...

Old December 7th, 2003, 12:05 AM
John W.

Gerry wrote:
In article , John W.
wrote:

Now if I can just manage to go there myself; I've been wanting to
go ever since reading Hideyoshi earlier this year.

What Hideyoshi? You mean "Taiko" by Yoshikawa? I read that this
year and it floored me. A fat read but I may even do it again...

Sorry; yep, that's the one. It really got me interested in the rulers of
that era in Japan. After reading Musashi for my tenth time, I felt I
needed to try another book about Japanese history.

John W.