Crossing India-Pakistan border

Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:53 AM
m. zahir

Default Crossing India-Pakistan border

Has anyone recently crossed border between India and Pakistan (between
Amritsar and Lahore)? Any hassles? Max

Old November 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Aitor

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 06:53:37 GMT, "m. zahir" wrote:

Has anyone recently crossed border between India and Pakistan (between
Amritsar and Lahore)? Any hassles? Max

I crossed it in 1997. The border was closed for non-foreigners and
only open during certain hours of the day. Not too much hassle but
about one hour and a half to cross it.

Regards,

Aitor
http://w3.to/travellers
Old November 17th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Dziadzia

"Aitor" a écrit dans le message de
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 06:53:37 GMT, "m. zahir" wrote:

Has anyone recently crossed border between India and Pakistan (between
Amritsar and Lahore)? Any hassles? Max

I crossed it in 1997. The border was closed for non-foreigners and
only open during certain hours of the day. Not too much hassle but
about one hour and a half to cross it.

Regards,

Aitor
http://w3.to/travellers

I crossed it 4 times within 3 weeks in summer 2001. Had no problem, which is
usually the case if you're foreign (3 guys from Malaysia and one from
Cameroon before me neither). Expect your luggage to be searched thoroughly
(mine was on all occasions) as the customs on each side try very hard to
find anything that would put the other side under the spotlight, like 'you
let them go through with this (usually drugs or whatever else).
One anecdote: when the Pakistani custom officer found out that I was going
to India only for a week then coming back to Pakistan using the same border
post he asked me if i could bring him a couple of bottles of whisky (illegal
in Pakistan and on sale nearly everywhere in India). In exchange he would
give me a 'free visa'. Didn't say anything then but knew that was all
rubbish as 2001 was 'visit Pakistan year' and one month visas were given for
free at the borders. I had got one entering from Iran a month or so earlier!
Plus : half an hour Lahore to border on local bus and 45 minutes border to
Amritsar by taxi.
Hope you enjoy it. it's a great area, a bit intimidating when tensions go up
between the two countries tho'.
dz