AM radio reception inside passenger planes?

Old December 11th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Some Guy

Default AM radio reception inside passenger planes?

I have no trouble receiving FM radio broadcasts on a small am/fm radio
I sometimes listen to while onboard commercial jet airliners (flying
at cruise altitude), but I never seem to be able to pick up AM radio
stations. It's just static across the AM band.

Any explanation for this?
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Geoff Glave

Any explanation for this?

FM radio generally operates at longer range than AM radio, however it's
limited to line-of-sight. However, when you're 40,000 feet up you can "see"
a lot of transmitters hence the FM signals.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

Old December 11th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Ian Jackson

In message HxHud.9448$eb3.8331@clgrps13, Geoff Glave
writes
Any explanation for this?

FM radio generally operates at longer range than AM radio, however it's
limited to line-of-sight. However, when you're 40,000 feet up you can "see"
a lot of transmitters hence the FM signals.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

The window holes are much too small to let the much longer wavelengths
of the 'AM' signals through. The body of the plane is a very effective
screen. The 'FM' signals can squeeze in, but it helps if you have a
window seat. I've also listened to SW in the middle of the Atlantic.

Flying from the UK to Florida, on the other side of the Atlantic the
first FM stations you hear are usually speaking French (from Quebec)
It's quite alarming!
Ian.

Old December 11th, 2004, 07:35 PM
nick smith

"Geoff Glave" wrote in message
Any explanation for this?

FM radio generally operates at longer range than AM radio, however it's
limited to line-of-sight. However, when you're 40,000 feet up you can "see"
a lot of transmitters hence the FM signals.

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
Vancouver, Canada

I reckon you just answered the wrong question !!

The reason A.M. radio can not be received in a plane is that it is a Faraday
cage to the (lower frequency) A.M
frequencies, whereas the VHF frequencies can just about get through the
windows.

There may be a bit of frequency / range issue as well but top band and 80 mtrs
gets across the pond so
I don't think this is the issue here...

Nick

Old December 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Ether Hopper

No one has mentioned that in many cases you need the pilot's permission to
operate a radio or other electronic device for that matter on a commercial
airliner. That includes AM/FM radios.

Radio emissions may screw up the plane's avionics.

See URL:
http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scan.../scan_fly.html

It sez:
"The FAA does not allow inflight use of walkie-talkies, radio controlled
toys, AM/FM radios, portable telephones, or portable television sets, all of
which may affect aircraft radio and navigation equipment"

Also cruise ships may deny use of two way (FRS) or ham radios -- always
check with the communications officer.

For Hams always check with the person in charge on any commercial
transportation, busses, taxi's, ships planes etc.

Yeah yeah I know you did it without getting permission, but read the URL as
to what airlines have published.

And I know from personal experience that some cruise lines do not allow FRS
or ham radios transmissions.

--
RF Gotta Go SomeWhere