Forced Tipping er: Service Charge on NCL

Old January 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

Default Forced Tipping er: Service Charge on NCL

I guess it varies from line to line and possibly even from ship to ship
within a line. We were on Regents Mariner late November-early December
and they have a "no tipping policy". We found the crew, all the crew,
to be attentive, efficient and friendly. They did say that if you were
pleased with the service you could make a contribution to the crew fund
at the end of your voyage which we did.

Old January 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BobEdwards

On Jan 12, 2:57*am, Wilf wrote:
Seehorse Video wrote:
"Jack *wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:20:47 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I just returned from an NCL cruise that REQUIRED me to pay a service
charge (once known as a tip).

I haven't tried (we had good service on our recent cruise, and we
usually tip extra), but NCL claims that you can have the service charge
removed.
http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ#service

Did you try to have it removed? *Which ship and itinerary?

Or are you talking about the service charge on bar trips and spa
services? *I don't know if those can be removed.

Like many of you, I'm a generous tipper for good service, but I don't like
to be forced. *If the service charges were for specialty food places apart
from the dining room it may be understandable, otherwise it's a bummer.
What NCL ship was it (although I never cruise NCL)?

Harry Cooper

I just don't understand this whole problem people have about the
"tipping". However you look at it, it'll go on your bill either as a
higher fare in the first place, or as a tip / service charge / whatever
you want to call it. It's not just about good service (for which a tip
should obviously be given, or not, depending upon the service received).
* As far as I'm aware, the staff are depending upon this money for their
wages - that just seems to be how they are paid (although for all I know
NCL may be different in that respect). *Remove it and they get paid
nothing, or next to nothing. *It's up to you if you can live with that -
personally I'd be unhappy to think that my waiter or cabin steward was
not going to get paid because of me - whatever the service level.

--
Wilf

I guess that the people who used to not show up for dinner on the last
night of a cruise will now have to line up at the purser's desk to
adjust their gratuities.
Old January 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:39:47 -0800 (PST), BobEdwards
wrote:

I guess that the people who used to not show up for dinner on the last
night of a cruise will now have to line up at the purser's desk to
adjust their gratuities.

Hi Bob,

Nope, NCL has made a policy where the purser's desk can not adjust the
"service charge".
--
Ray Goldenberg 800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
Lighthouse Travel http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

Nope, NCL has made a policy where the purser's desk can not adjust the
"service charge".

I had not know they had extended that policy from the Hawaii cruises.
But on an NCL ship I can see how it makes sense. There is no
traditional dining and there is so many dining venues it would not be
fair to take off the charge. Individual tipping would be unworkable. It
really is a package of service. As far as I am concerned it does not
bother me if it replaces the tipping. Meaning that a tip is not now
expected in addition to the service charge.

--
Charles
Old January 15th, 2010, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

wrote:

I guess that the people who used to not show up for dinner on the last
night of a cruise will now have to line up at the purser's desk to
adjust their gratuities.

Hi Bob,

Nope, NCL has made a policy where the purser's desk can not adjust the
"service charge".

The NCL FAQ page still says that service charges can be adjusted. When
was this change made?

Old January 15th, 2010, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Borked Psuedo Mailed

wrote:

I guess that the people who used to not show up for dinner on the last
night of a cruise will now have to line up at the purser's desk to
adjust their gratuities.

Hi Bob,

Nope, NCL has made a policy where the purser's desk can not adjust the
"service charge".
--
Ray Goldenberg

bull****

copied from the ncl website

If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?
Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We
have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any
concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently.
However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise
please let our on-board reception desk staff know right away, so that we
can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a
satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our
guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be
met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

read the last ****ing line, googleberg
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Neal Eckhardt

I find it interesting that nobody brought up the case in Pennsylvania
where two college kids were arrested for failing to pay a "manditory
gratuity on parties of 6 or more" when the service level was
unacceptable.

Google "Lehigh Pub" for info.

--
Neal

Never go to a plastic surgeon whose favorite artist is Picasso.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BeverlySills

On Jan 11, 5:20*pm, gary wrote:
I just returned from an NCL cruise that REQUIRED me to pay a service
charge (once known as a tip).

I found the service to be far from a level I feel warranted any tip.
For example: I asked our anonymous waiter (we had a different one at
every meal) "Please describe what color the steak will be if I request
medium rare." His response: "I have no idea. I just pick it up from
the line marked like that".

Other staff barely spoke at all. And the only smiles I saw were glued
on.

But since it was billed as a service charge, there was no practical
way to remove it from the bill. Well I won't be traveling on another
NCL ship.

My question is: Have you been on a ship recently with a similar
policy? If so, which one and what cruise line?

Gary

Maybe you should have thought of a more stupid question to ask. Idiot.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BeverlySills

On Jan 11, 5:20*pm, gary wrote:
I just returned from an NCL cruise that REQUIRED me to pay a service
charge (once known as a tip).

I found the service to be far from a level I feel warranted any tip.
For example: I asked our anonymous waiter (we had a different one at
every meal) "Please describe what color the steak will be if I request
medium rare." His response: "I have no idea. I just pick it up from
the line marked like that".

Other staff barely spoke at all. And the only smiles I saw were glued
on.

But since it was billed as a service charge, there was no practical
way to remove it from the bill. Well I won't be traveling on another
NCL ship.

My question is: Have you been on a ship recently with a similar
policy? If so, which one and what cruise line?

Gary

gary View profile
More options Jan 11, 5:20 pm

Bet you it came out spit gray with green snot on top. HA HA HA...NO
TIP FROM YOU....serves you right