Travellers checks in Santa Rosa, Honduras and other questions

Old October 12th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Jackson

Default Travellers checks in Santa Rosa, Honduras and other questions

Will I have any problem changing American Express travellers checks in $100 denominations in Santa Rosa, Honduras. What
about US currency in $100 bills. I get confusing and conflicting reports on the ability to exchange money in banks.

Is it warm enough to wear short-sleeved shirts in Santa Rosa? Is a sweater needed at night?

Is your luggage in danger of being rifled when travelling by bus? If I take a laptop with me, will it be a prime target
for thieves?

Thanks

Jack from Taxacola (formerly Pensacola), Florida
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:34 PM
DB

Will I have any problem changing American Express travellers checks in $100 denominations in Santa Rosa, Honduras. What
about US currency in $100 bills. I get confusing and conflicting reports on the ability to exchange money in banks.

First, only on first class buses is your luggage separate from you.
Pack lightly because you are hauling it onto the old school bus all the
time. On first class buses, merely wait until your luggage is loaded if
that is an issue for you. The laptop needs to be on your person. I am
not sure I would carry one. Instead, use computers in net-cafes...I
found them thruout Honduras.

Banks, Warren Post's site indicates there is no problem. I found
banking difficult -- time consuming. When I saw a bank without a line,
I jumped in there. I always carried small denominations -
$20's...didn't take one $100 with me. Same thing with lempiras...never
carried one that was about a $28 (at the time)

http://snow.prohosting.com/srcopan/s...s.html#banking

Enjoy your travels, DB

http://sidewalkmystic.com
Your Online Guide to Honduras Travel and Vacation

Old October 13th, 2005, 01:33 PM
SD

DB wrote:
Will I have any problem changing American Express travellers checks in $100 denominations in Santa Rosa, Honduras. What
about US currency in $100 bills. I get confusing and conflicting reports on the ability to exchange money in banks.

First, only on first class buses is your luggage separate from you.
Pack lightly because you are hauling it onto the old school bus all the
time. On first class buses, merely wait until your luggage is loaded if
that is an issue for you. The laptop needs to be on your person. I am
not sure I would carry one. Instead, use computers in net-cafes...I
found them thruout Honduras.

Some of the what I consider "second class" bus lines like El Rey and
Trans Rivera also store your luggage underneath, separate from you.
Just wait until you luggage is loaded. They use claim checks so the
luggage isn't usually offloaded until you present your claim check. On
"chicken buses",the yellow school buses, you carry it with you but be
aware if it is a large bag they may stick it in the back of the bus by
the emergency exit and anything goes in that case.

Banks, Warren Post's site indicates there is no problem. I found
banking difficult -- time consuming. When I saw a bank without a line,
I jumped in there. I always carried small denominations -
$20's...didn't take one $100 with me. Same thing with lempiras...never
carried one that was about a $28 (at the time)

Ditto on time consuming, especially on Mondays or Fridays and on or
about the 1st and 15th of the month which are paydays. If the bank
manager is in a mood, changing $100 bills or cashing traveler's checks
can be a hassle. I live here. I would rather use an ATM then deal with
the bank. I usually never carry anything larger than a 100 lempira note
(about $5) unless I am going to the grocery store or shopping in a
major center that can make change.

SD

Old October 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Warren Post

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:36:33 -0500, Jackson wrote:

Will I have any problem changing American Express travellers checks in
$100 denominations in Santa Rosa, Honduras.

I presume you are speaking of Santa Rosa de Copán and not Santa Rosa de
Aguán. I live in the former.

Several banks will change American Express travelers cheques, but none
will do so quickly. Be prepared for a bit of a wait. Travelers cheques are
somewhat of a rarity here. You have the right brand, however: I have have
never heard of any other brand being accepted here or anywhere in
Honduras.

What about US currency in $100 bills.

50's would be easier to change. Be forwarned that a Honduran Central Bank
regulation prohibits banks (and thus indirectly businesses and money
changers) from accepting foreign currency that is even slightly torn or
worn. Hondurans joke that it is now easier to pass freshly printed
counterfit dollars than legitimate used ones. If you bring dollars cash,
bring only clean and crisp bills fresh off the printing press.

Is it warm enough to wear short-sleeved shirts in Santa Rosa? Is a
sweater needed at night?

This time of year, yes and yes.

When I travel, I like to take long sleeved shirts and roll the sleeves up
when the weather warrants it. I also prefer a lightweight water resistant
hooded jacket to a sweater that cannot be opened in front. Multipurpose
items like those allow me to pack fewer clothes and focus on the journey
rather than on my belongings.

Is your luggage in danger of being rifled when travelling by bus? If I
take a laptop with me, will it be a prime target for thieves?

My rule of thumb is, if it would ruin your day to lose it, leave it at
home. Luggage does sometimes get lost or rifled through on the buses here
(as well as on domestic flights in the U.S. -- it's happened to me). You
won't enjoy your travels if you are watching your bags like a hawk every
minute. Sit back, enjoy the ride, and take comfort in the fact that any
thief is only going to wind up with dirty socks and a shaving kit.

--
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Warren Post

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 04:34:49 -0700, DB wrote:

First, only on first class buses is your luggage separate from you.

Even on chicken buses, if your luggage is larger than airline carryon
size, the driver or his assistant may (and often do) insist that the
luggage go either under the bus or outside on the rooftop rack. In either
case there is always the risk that your luggage will be accidentally
unloaded at some stop prior to yours. I continually see travelers who
aren't enjoying what should be a pleasant ride because they are nervously
watching the baggage handlers at every stop.

If you cannot pack light, consider taking nonstop or limited stop buses.
That way there are fewer stops at which your baggage can be separated from
you.

Banks, Warren Post's site indicates there is no problem. I found
banking difficult -- time consuming. When I saw a bank without a line,
I jumped in there.

Good point, I should update the text on my site to mention the long lines
and inefficiency endemic to Honduran banking. A good solution was
mentioned by SD elsewhere in this thread, which is to use ATMs. There are
tws ATMs in Santa Rosa de Copán, and of course many elsewhere in
Honduras.

Here are the two pages on my site that mention banking and money:

http://srcopan.vze.com/services.html#banking
http://srcopan.vze.com/faq.html#money

--
Warren Post
Visitor's Guide to Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras