Hawaii, Maui

Old September 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TJ[_2_]

Default Hawaii, Maui

Thanks a bunch !!!!

Terrific ideas and suggestions.......

TJ

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:28:36 -0400, TJ wrote:

To answer James' question:

How young are you and in what physical
shape?

We are in our 70s and we are in pretty decent shape physically for our
ages and we are used to hiking and cycling and do a fair amount of
both around here in the Greater Toronto area and in Arizona.....I
don't know about 40 miles up a mountain though.....we will have to
think about that one..........We like to do a lot of stuff that is
active beyond just playing golf and we particularly enjoy the Arts and
especially Jazz and Classical Music....

Thanks for all of your comments so far.....

TJ

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:35:24 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

sally wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:06:51 +0000 (UTC):

s TJ wrote in
s 4ax.com:
?? This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife
?? and I are going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for
?? at least 11 days so I would appreciate any suggestions
?? that some of you might have for things to see and places
?? to go that are of interest.......and also things to
?? avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

s Rent a bicycle. Ride it up Haleakala (10,000 feet in 40
s miles). This is one of the great bicycle mountain climbs in
s the USA.

Coasting down is the more common option but does not seem much
fun to me. Pedalling up! How young are you and in what physical
shape? Watching the sun set and looking at the stars on
Haleakala is well worth doing but it can get really cold. There
really can be frost and ice! There is visitor center that gives
some shelter but not much. We knew we were going to do it and
brought winter coats and needed them!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Ken wrote on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:32:28 -0700:

?? This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife
?? and I are going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for
?? at least 11 days so I would appreciate any suggestions
?? that some of you might have for things to see and places
?? to go that are of interest.......and also things to
?? avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.
??
?? Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

KB The best meal we had in Maui was at Mama's Fish House,
KB http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

KB I recommend it.

It's been a while since I was in Maui but it's good to know that
Mama's and Roy's are still worth a visit.

I might add that one of the most fascinating things about
Haleakala is the opportunity to travel thro' several climatic
zones from tropical to high alpine in an hour or two's drive.

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:28:36 -0400, TJ wrote:

We are in our 70s and we are in pretty decent shape physically for our
ages and we are used to hiking and cycling and do a fair amount of
both around here in the Greater Toronto area and in Arizona.....I
don't know about 40 miles up a mountain though.....we will have to
think about that one..........We like to do a lot of stuff that is
active beyond just playing golf and we particularly enjoy the Arts and
especially Jazz and Classical Music....

Thanks for all of your comments so far.....

TJ

I can't possibly imagine someone cycling up the mountain unless you're
extremely fit. Another consideration is the altitude. I don't know if
you've had much experience at higher altitudes but it's harder to
breathe. You didn't say where in AZ you've gone but we find a pretty
big difference between 7000 and 10,000 ft.
Temperature drops about 3 degrees per 1000 ft. of elevation so if it's
80 at sea level, it will be 50 at the summit.

The road to Hana is very interesting. There is or used to be a CD that
can guide you. We found it well worth it.
There are snorkeling trips you can take.
There's a submarine which is expensive but something different.
http://www.atlantisadventures.com/

I'm not sure what has happened about the back way to Hana but there is
another interesting trip. You can take route 340 north from Wailuku)
and go around that way. It's very scenic but it can be narrow in
places (1 1/2 lanes). Some maps may show it as unpaved but it is. Some
rental car companies may have restrictions against going there. I
think they all do about the back road to Hana.

We ran into that problem and rented a Jeep from:
http://www.alohatoystore.com/index-car.htm

At the time they didn't have restrictions. It seemed strange to be
renting two vehicles at the same time. The back road to Hana wasn't
difficult except in the rainy season but we didn't want to risk the
penalties if something happened.

There's a passenger ferry to Lanai. I think you can go for the day or
you can stay. There are two very upscale but expensive resorts.
There's also a less expensive older hotel.

You might also enjoy the Io Needle.

I'm not aware of much in the way of jazz and classical music but you
might try here.
http://www.huntcal.com/cgi/calview.c...fo/mauiev?vm=r
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
TJ wrote:

This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

Kind of hard to say without knowing anything about your interests.
Surely, if you do a google search for "Maui tourism" you will find tons
of helpful information.
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hunt

In article ,
says...

This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

Cheers

TJ in Toronto

Might want to take a look at:
http://www.gohawaii.com/maui/

Also, AlohaCyberian, who posts here, has a great site, as well, for info on
all of the Islands. Do not have his URL handy, but it's usually posted in his
sig. line. Look for his posts, and get the link.

As one, who lives year-round in AZ, but travels to Hawai`i every year - maybe
twice, I can say that you will not be bored. Mau`i is a tad down my list of
islands, but it's still excellent. Wife insisted that we do it next trip, so
it is not bad.

Having lived and recreated in CO, I can say that one should consider the
elevation, if you're going UP Hale`akala. It is not an easy trek. It IS worth
the effort to get up there, and do not be up off about the time of day. It can
be lovely with the clouds rolling in.

In the vacinity, I'd look into Pol`i Pol`i park and the Hosmer Cloud Forrest.
Both worth the effort. Also, I`o Needle is a nice, flatland trek, with lovely
forrest.

The road to Hana is a good day's drive, as you MUST stop along the way,
whether it's for the beaches, or the waterfalls. Go beyond, as I find things
get a lot more interesting there - both historically and geologically. Plenty
of great hikes, just beyond Hana, which is nice, but this is a journey, where
the destination pales, compared to the trip.

Enjoy.

Hunt

PS, if you are interested in the dining options, be sure to check out
Chowhound (www.chowhound.com) and go to the Elsewhere in America board. Do a
search of that board, and, if you post, let the people know where on Mau`i,
you will be staying and what your budget is.

Old September 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
atkinsonguy

On Sep 24, 10:51 am, TJ wrote:
This is our first trip ever to Hawaii and Maui. My wife and I are
going to a wedding in Maui but will be there for at least 11 days so I
would appreciate any suggestions that some of you might have for
things to see and places to go that are of interest.......and also
things to avoid....... We have a car rented for the full period.

Thanks in advance for any suggestiuons you might have

Cheers

TJ in Toronto

I would second the recommendation to buy the Wizard Pubs book. Another
very nice drive is around the north end of the island; past Kapalua on
Hwy 30 continuing on to Kahului. The Wizard book has a nice
description of this route with interesting stops identified by mile
marker. A nice way to spend a morning with a lunch stop at [as others
have pointed out] Mama's Fish House. Be forewarned, Mama's is pricey
even for Maui - expect to spend $75-$100 for lunch.

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TJ[_2_]

I appreciate your comments about the mountains and altitude.....I have
a son who lives in Utah and we have hiked there and know all about how
just the simple act of walking can be a damn challenge with every step
as you go higher and higher......

I have just founbd that CD that you mentioned.......a neighbour of
mine has it and he is lending it to us......

Thanks

TJ

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TJ[_2_]

Kind of hard to say without knowing anything about your interests.
Surely, if you do a google search for "Maui tourism" you will find tons
of helpful information.

True....and I have done that.......but it's so helpful to hear first
hand people speak of things from their own experience.....a lot of
travel writing info is not always correctly motivated and many times
is unreliable....

I really enjoyed reading everyone comments and tremendous advice....

Thanks to all.....much appreciated.

TJ
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Maurice ON4BAM

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:32:03 -0500, George Max
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:40:06 +0000, Maurice ON4BAM
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:46:29 -0500, George Max
wrote:

Sunset on top of Haleakala is good, but you have to get up pretty
darn early to do that. There's a horseback ride that goes into the

No, you don't have to get up early for a sunset... ;-)

crater quite a ways, there's a bike ride down the mountain too, though
they start those at the park entrance about 1/2 way up.

The road to Hana is very scenic. Stop at Hotel Hana Maui for lunch.

Make sure you fill up before driving the road to Hana, gas prices are
horrendous there.

If you visit another island, my suggestion is the Big Island. More
rural, but that's where the active volcano, Kilauea, is. And there's

I'll second that

coffee planations to see. You could take a tour to the top of Mauna
Kea to where all the telescopes are. I don't think you get into any
of them, but looks interesting to do.

You can NOT get into the telescopes. The view however is one of the
best I've ever seen.

I got a report with pictures on my website.

Which is. . . . .

:-)
Should have been in the sig which for some reason was not added....

Bye Maurice
--
Happy holidays
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.on4bam.com/