Hotel recommendation needed

Old January 10th, 2010, 05:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Hotel recommendation needed

In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Did you stay at The Gallery One on this last Viking cruise? If so what
did you think about it and where did you eat breakfast and dinner?

I stayed there. It thought it was fine. A nice suite type rooms with
kitchen, living room, bedroom. Large flat screen TV. Very comfortable.
I had a balcony too but not everyone got that. On arrival day I had
lunch at the food court at the Galleria after arriving early from the
airport. It is a upscale food court with a lot of options. For dinner I
went with some other Vikings who had a rental car to the Southport Raw
Bar. Other Vikings ate dinner at the food court. There were a bunch of
sit down restaurants at the Galleria, chains like P.F. Changs, Capital
Grille and other restaurants. I don't recall if anyone went to those.

Breakfast, well the hotel one looked way overpriced like they usually
do, it was Sunday morning so the mall stuff was not open. We really did
not want an extensive breakfast anyway since we knew we would be on the
ship for buffet lunch. We had breakfast at a Starbucks, a short walk
across the street from the Galleria. The had simple egg sandwiches,
oatmeal, muffins, on the menu for reasonable prices which was all we
really needed.

As an individual I usually prefer the hotels though on 17th Street if
the price is reasonable and of course it is a decent hotel like Embassy
Suites or Renaissance. As a group though we got a group rate at the
Doubletree that was better than that of those on 17th. As an individual
the rates may be closer. One thing to consider is that the taxi rates
to the Doubletree will be higher from the airport to the hotel and from
the hotel to the port than a hotel on 17th like the Embassy Suites.
Shared a taxi with four of our group from the airport so that was not
expensive because of the share and our group was able to arrange a
shuttle from the hotel so the extra distance was not more expensive for
us than it would be for a couple or individual taking a taxi.

--
Charles
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
"Sue Mullen" wrote in message

Charles wrote:
In article , Sue Mullen
wrote:

Did you stay at The Gallery One on this last Viking cruise? If so what did
you think about it and where did you eat breakfast and dinner?

sue

Yes. We stayed there. It was very nice. Nicer than the Embassy Suites
based on what I remember. And there is a water taxi stop at the hotel. I
would definitely stay there again.

We went to the mall (food court) for lunch and some of us even went there
for dinner (low budget). For Sunday morning breakfast, we just went to the
Starbucks across from the mall (the mall was closed Sunday morning), and had
an egg sandwich and cappuccino. After breakfast I walked some of the gang
down to the beach (3 minute walk if the Intracoastal Waterway bridge isn't
open).

In what way was it nicer then the Embassy Suites? The water taxi is a
plus if we have time/energy to do anything, being next to the mall is
another plus, but the Embassy suites has a very nice free breakfast
buffet that works well for Kevin.

I think I will have to talk with Lori and George and see if they can get
us a group rate at the Gallery One for the MOAGC on the Oasis.

sue
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Charles wrote:

Breakfast, well the hotel one looked way overpriced like they usually
do, it was Sunday morning so the mall stuff was not open. We really did
not want an extensive breakfast anyway since we knew we would be on the
ship for buffet lunch. We had breakfast at a Starbucks, a short walk
across the street from the Galleria. The had simple egg sandwiches,
oatmeal, muffins, on the menu for reasonable prices which was all we
really needed.

Starbucks would work for me, but not for Kevin. My guess is that we
would do the hotel breakfast buffett since that would work for Kevin.

As an individual I usually prefer the hotels though on 17th Street if
the price is reasonable and of course it is a decent hotel like Embassy
Suites or Renaissance. As a group though we got a group rate at the
Doubletree that was better than that of those on 17th. As an individual
the rates may be closer.

We might also get a good price through Kevin's company. We have been
doing well working with them and our last couple of hotel stays have
gotten great upgrades.

One thing to consider is that the taxi rates
to the Doubletree will be higher from the airport to the hotel and from
the hotel to the port than a hotel on 17th like the Embassy Suites.

Never thought of this, but it is a good point.

Thanks Charles, I have filed this away!!

sue
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 23:06:48 -0500, Sue Mullen
wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marsha[_2_]

wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

A continental breakfast usually entails mostly carb-filled stuff -
bagels, doughnuts, waffles, cereal, etc. Not good for diabetics.

Marsha
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

He can't have anything made with white flour. The Starbuck sandwish Tom
and Charles mentioned most likely is on bread made with white flour. The
free continential breakfasts at most hotels usually have sweet
danish/muffins, breads & bagels with white flour etc. that he can't eat
and it is rare they have a cereal he could eat. If they had scrambled
eggs and some wheat or rye bread that would be fine, but it is a crap
shoot finding much he can eat. We have found from experience that
Embassy Suites and Residence Suites have plenty that he can eat.

sue

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

A continental breakfast usually entails mostly carb-filled stuff -
bagels, doughnuts, waffles, cereal, etc. Not good for diabetics.

Not only carb filled, but with the wrong kind of carbs such as white flour.

sue
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue

Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

He can't have anything made with white flour. The Starbuck sandwish Tom
and Charles mentioned most likely is on bread made with white flour.

English Muffin.

--Tom

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Jan 7, 6:27�pm, Marsha wrote:
On 1/7/2010 5:20 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

E.K. Newsgroup Acct wrote:
Could someone recommend either a Hilton or Marriott chain hotel near
the passenger terminal in Ft Lauderdale? (We have points for those
two) Would like one with good restaurants and/or shopping within
walking distance. Thanks for your help E.K.

Our first choice when we have enough Hilton points is the Embassy
Suites. They have a very good, free, breakfast buffet, made to order
eggs etc. and the suites are very comfortable. There are lots of very
good restaurants very close by, plus shopping center, drug stores and
supermarket all just a short walk.

sue

And don't forget the free "manager's reception" every evening. �I have
watched that change over the past many years from a once civilized
cocktail hour to an attitude of "get all the free booze you can in the
time allotted. �But, I still think it's a nice perk.

Marsha

I believe now you gt 2 coupons for a drink not the all yu can drink
any longer
Sue

Cruiseoutlets and travel
www.cruiseoutlets.com
800 853 9515
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:

wrote:

The Gallery One and the Hampton Inn are very close in price. The Gallery
One does not have free shuttles, but cabs are not that expensive in
Florida. It also does not have a free breakfast, but a continential
breakfast usually does not work for Kevin because of his diabetes. On
the plus side is that the Gallery One is suites which will be very
comfortable.

sue
Why is the breakfast a problem for someone with diabetes?

He can't have anything made with white flour. The Starbuck sandwish Tom
and Charles mentioned most likely is on bread made with white flour.

English Muffin.

If it is a regular one, it is white flour.

sue