Which Hawaiian Island Hotels

Old November 18th, 2003, 09:03 PM
eon

Default Which Hawaiian Island Hotels

My wife and I have an opportunity to fly free to Hawaii (Honolulu) if
we stay at specific hotels for 7 days. We plan to go in March for 10
to 12 days.

Outside of swimming and seeing the volcano flow, we don't have a clue
on what else to do. Although, we are more interested in Nature then
shopping or nightlife.

Some of the hotel choices are as follows:

Maui
Wailea Marriott, Kapalua Bay, Sheraton Maui

Honolulu/Waikiki
Waikiki Beachcomber, Sheraton Princess, Sheraton Waikiki

Kauai
Kauai Beach Hotel
Sheraton Kauai

Big Island
Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Any recommendations on these hotels, or which two islands to visit?

Thanks
Old November 18th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
eon wrote:

Outside of swimming and seeing the volcano flow, we don't have a clue
on what else to do. Although, we are more interested in Nature then
shopping or nightlife.

Any recommendations on these hotels, or which two islands to visit?

You may already know this, but if you want to see recent (or even
current) lava flows, you'll have to go to the Big Island. Given
your stated preferences, I'd pair it up with either Maui or Kauai.

Patty

Old November 19th, 2003, 05:02 AM
mimi

"Patty Winter" wrote in message
In article ,
eon wrote:

Outside of swimming and seeing the volcano flow, we don't have a clue
on what else to do. Although, we are more interested in Nature then
shopping or nightlife.

Any recommendations on these hotels, or which two islands to visit?

You may already know this, but if you want to see recent (or even
current) lava flows, you'll have to go to the Big Island. Given
your stated preferences, I'd pair it up with either Maui or Kauai.

Good advice. On the Big Island you can drive the lush Hamakua coast north of
Hilo and visit the botanical gardens.

The Sheraton Kauai seems a nice enough hotel in a dramatic site, a point
sticking out into the ocean breakers by Poipu Beach. There are also
botanical gardens on Kauai as well as the natural wonders of Waimea Canyon
and the Na Pali coast.

Marianne

Old November 19th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Lee Meyerson

Realize that if you stay at The Waikoloa Beach Mariott, you are at least a 2
1/2 hour drive from Volcanoes National Park on a dead run if you know the
road. It will be an all day excursion to say the least.

om...

Old November 19th, 2003, 07:22 AM
Louis Cohen

Big Island for sure, and probably Kauai also, for the reasons cited by other
posters.

Unless you get very lucky, or wish to hike in an unsafe manner, your best
bet for seeing lava flowing would be a airplane or helicopter trip - I
believe there are trips that leave from the Kona airport (not very far from
Waikoloa).

Here are our photos from the Big Island - we stayed in Volcano for a couple
of days and then in Kona.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i...21b35a6278e415

If you stay in Waikoloa, check guidebooks for hikes/sites/horseback riding
around Waimea and the Waipio Valley.

On Kauai, rent kayaks and paddle up the river. And go see the Waimea
Canyon - some unusual birds to see near there as well.

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

om...

Old November 19th, 2003, 08:56 AM
alohacyberian

"eon" wrote in message
om...
My wife and I have an opportunity to fly free to Hawaii (Honolulu) if
we stay at specific hotels for 7 days. We plan to go in March for 10
to 12 days.

Outside of swimming and seeing the volcano flow, we don't have a clue
on what else to do. Although, we are more interested in Nature then
shopping or nightlife.

All of the hotels you mentioned are acceptable and since you seem to have
some interest in volcanoes and nature, I'd suggest the Big Island of Hawaii
as Waikaloa Beach Marriot is fine, though a bit of a drive to Volcanoes
National Park. The Big Island is almost twice as big as all the other islands
combined and has a population smaller than that of Maui (200,000) so there is
a lot of scenery and nature in places like the Waipio Valley and the Hamakua
coast. For more information about Volcanoes, the park, the eruptions and the
Big Island in General - you are invited to visit My Big Island of Hawaii
Webpage: http://keith.martin.home.att.net/page9B.html - where you'll find no
advertising, no pop-ups, no cookies and nothing for sale. Bon voyage! KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect

Old November 19th, 2003, 11:07 AM
alohacyberian

"alohacyberian" wrote in message
"eon" wrote in message
om...
Big Island in General - you are invited to visit My Big Island of Hawaii
Webpage: http://keith.martin.home.att.net/page9B.html - where you'll find

no
advertising, no pop-ups, no cookies and nothing for sale. Bon voyage! KM

P.S. If you're interested in Kauai, I also have a webpage for that island at:
http://keith.martin.home.att.net/vKauai - KM