Couple more questions... HAL's new tipping policy.

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:27 AM

Default Couple more questions... HAL's new tipping policy -Here'sHow...

Hi Grandma... The 10 bucks pp per day pool will probably be split up
and appear on each of the crew's cheques as a "bonus" ....By personally
giving someone a 5 or 10 after a 10 days cruise, is like going to a
fancy restaurant then leaving a paltry couple of bucks for a tip.
...Jon

Old August 5th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Jean O'Boyle

wrote in message
Ok, Jean, but that is the "new policy" I mentioned in my post. ...All
my cokes from last March were a straight $1.75 -- total price charged..
..Jon

Odd, never had that happen to us on any cruise line...Princess, Carnival,
NCL, RCI etc, always listed it as 15% tip. Even when purchasing water from
the cabin steward or from the desk on the way off the ship, they added that
amount as a tip or service charge.

--Jean

Old August 5th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 02:49:23 GMT, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

Odd, never had that happen to us on any cruise line...Princess, Carnival,
NCL, RCI etc, always listed it as 15% tip.

Hi Jean,

Before the new policy HAL did not add the gratuity to the bar tabs as
other cruise lines.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old August 5th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Rosalie B.

Dillon Pyron wrote:

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:27:32 -0700, wrote:

Hi Grandma... The 10 bucks pp per day pool will probably be split up
and appear on each of the crew's cheques as a "bonus" ....By personally
giving someone a 5 or 10 after a 10 days cruise, is like going to a
fancy restaurant then leaving a paltry couple of bucks for a tip.
..Jon

No it isn't. If you leave 5-10 bucks to the guy personally and he is
ALSO getting the "bonus" from you and every other person he serves on
the cruise, that is NOT like only giving a paltry couple of bucks for
a tip. The guy in the fancy restaurant only gets the tip, he doesn't
get a bonus AND a tip.

Let's say for the sake of argument that I eat in a fancy restaurant
every night for 10 nights, and my husband and I spend $50 a night
(which is unlikely as we normally spend about $30/night - no alcoholic
drinks and we pick frugally).

So for 10 nights at $50/night that's $500.00 20% of that is $100.00
or $10/night and 15% is $75 or $7.50/night. Now my waiter on the ship
is getting his share of $20/night from us, which , if $3.50 each goes
to him is $7.00 a day for $70 total. That's a little less than 15% of
my hypothetical $50 dinner.

Now if I give him an additional $10, that brings his take for 10 days
to $80. That's not quite as much as 20%, but would be more than 15%
of our hypothetical dinner. I fail to see that as an insult, or as if
we were leaving a paltry few $$ as a tip.

In practice, we are likely to tip between 15 and 20% depending on the
service and the total experience and how much the bill is - we tend to
tip a greater percentage if the bill is low.

I believe someone posted a response from the line (or was it NCL?)
that stated that "extra" tips were kept by the recipient. Or am I up
too late?

No that's what I'm assuming is the case because that's what they have
said. They also said that if you did NOT leave the $10/day on your
account, but removed it all and attempted to tip the waiters and
stewards etc. in person, the waiter and steward would be required to
put their tips into the pool along with the other cruiser's $10/day.
So if you do that - tip only in person and only give $10, that would
be very cheap on your part and the waiter or steward would probably
not be happy with it.

If the waiter or steward is really going to be insulted by us offering
him a little more money over the $10/day that goes into the kitty,
then I guess we won't do any extra. There's no point in trying to
express appreciation if it isn't welcomed.

grandma Rosalie