Volcano Air Tour from Maui

Old August 18th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Sri

Default Volcano Air Tour from Maui

I am planning a visit to Maui and was looking for some feedback on the
volcano air tours from Maui conducted by Paragon Air or Volcano Air
Tours.
Do they show good views of the live volcano?

Also is it cheaper to book the air tour in advance or after reaching
there?

ALso which is better? Taking the air tour or actually flying to the
Big Islans and walking to the volcano?

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Roger B.

"Sri" wrote...
I am planning a visit to Maui and was looking for some feedback on the
volcano air tours from Maui conducted by Paragon Air or Volcano Air
Tours. Do they show good views of the live volcano?
Also is it cheaper to book the air tour in advance or after reaching
there?
Also which is better? Taking the air tour or actually flying to the
Big Island and walking to the volcano?

I can't comment on those outfits specifically, but I can tell you that
it is much better to tour it by air. We stayed on the Big Island and
did both. While getting up close & personal with the vents was
interesting, seeing from the air provided a spectacle and perspective
you cannot get on land. Often, it is cheaper to wait and book after
you arrive. The booking service at our hotel was able to provide a
cheaper "voucher" rate than what we had booked ourselves directly.
[R]

Old August 18th, 2004, 02:32 PM
BruceB

Also is it cheaper to book the air tour in advance or after reaching
there?

You can probably get a much better deal buying it there. Especially if your
sales resistance is good and you can stand a 2 hour timeshare presentation
which might get you a huge discount.

ALso which is better? Taking the air tour or actually flying to the
Big Islans and walking to the volcano?

The volcano is a long drive from the Kona airport and when you get there it
can be quite a long walk and still you may not be able to see anything.. Of
these two options, a helicopter from Maui would be far better. Before you
buy it, make sure you ask around as to what the volcano activity is while
you're there.. It's not always that spectacular.

Either way, you're talking big bucks for this activity.

Old August 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
BruceB

What does it cost to rent an aircraft?

That's an interesting question... You should probably Google for the
airport in Kahului (OGG) and call the airport manager's office and try to
get an idea of who the reliable companies to rent from are (if any) ..
Then, work the phone to try to get a good deal. I know it's a tricky
airport because of very high crosswinds. Friend of mine is a airline
captain who flys in there all the time. I don't think it's for the novice..
Also, you should try the airport near Kapalua, which is mucho smaller and
maybe easier to go in and out of. Hope this helps..

Bruce

Old August 18th, 2004, 08:55 PM
PeterL

wrote in message

What does it cost to rent an aircraft?

I would say it depends on what kind of aircraft, and whether you want a
pilot to come with the aircraft.

Old August 18th, 2004, 08:55 PM
PeterL