Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:27 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Default Mum accused of trafficking daughter in airline blunder

B writes:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 16:26:21 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Apparently we belong to the same generation, Mr. Perry - the
original distinction between "imply" and "infer" has become
thoroughly blurred over the past forty years.

Not among the educated (those who also know the difference between
continuous and continual, disinterested and uninterested).

However, given that now even dictionaries provide the "wrong" meanings
for those words without comment, it's only a matter of time before the
"wrong" meanings will become correct even among the educated.

Have you ever experienced alt.usage.english? They harbour factions
that amount to the usagiste equivalent of the proverbial Japanese
soldier in the jungle who hasn't heard that the war is over. For some
persons any concession to descriptivism is a clear symptom that the
politically correct nanny state ravens have flown the Tower and that
the end of civilisation is nigh. Also, kids today with their music
and their clothes.

The crux, of course, is where does Mixi stand on the once-vexed
"hopefully" question.

Des
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:50 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

mrtravel wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

In any case, she should have known she couldn't travel from country
to country with a baby without any documenation, as she did originally.

And the airline allowed her to do so. Why? I've always had to show
my passport in order to get a boarding pass, and nowadays it's
generally required at the gate, too, even with the boarding pass.

Maybe they didn't require the infant to have a BP.

That wouldn't excuse the mother from showing both passports
at the gate, as required, would it? Boarding pass or not,
it was clear she planned to travel with the infant.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Mxsmanic wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Apparently we belong to the same generation, Mr. Perry - the
original distinction between "imply" and "infer" has become
thoroughly blurred over the past forty years.

Not among the educated (those who also know the difference between
continuous and continual, disinterested and uninterested).

But what percentage of the educated English-speaking
population is also anal-retentive?

Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:10 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Following up to Roland Perry

as in "we
will be landing momentarily"?

Ryanair pilots bouncing?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

In message , at 17:10:15 on
Thu, 2 Mar 2006, The Reid remarked:
as in "we
will be landing momentarily"?

Ryanair pilots bouncing?

No, it's the Americans who seem keen to leave almost before they've
arrived.
--
Roland Perry
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:25 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Following up to B Vaughan

However, given that now even dictionaries provide the "wrong" meanings
for those words without comment, it's only a matter of time before the
"wrong" meanings will become correct even among the educated.

you have to ask yourself a question or two. Is any real confusion
caused? Has it not always been so?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Not among the educated (those who also know the difference between
continuous and continual, disinterested and uninterested).

However, given that now even dictionaries provide the "wrong" meanings
for those words without comment, it's only a matter of time before the
"wrong" meanings will become correct even among the educated.

Have you ever experienced alt.usage.english? They harbour factions
that amount to the usagiste equivalent of the proverbial Japanese
soldier in the jungle who hasn't heard that the war is over.

I have more useful things to do than participate in the culture wars.
I'll just wait until it's over, and somebody can tell me where the
boundaries are now.

I teach an English class in our local evening school. We use a text
produced by Oxford University and some of the usages it proposes make
me cringe. Last night, I encountered "Firstly", the use of which would
have given my English teacher hives. I usually warn my students that
such usages are not universally accepted.

The crux, of course, is where does Mixi stand on the once-vexed
"hopefully" question.

I brought that up just a few months ago, and I don't think he
commented. I'm for it, unless I can invent the word "hopeably".
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Roland Perry writes:

The one organisation with experience of all three is the airline.

Yes. Sounds like the airline was negligent. Parents are used to
going anywhere with their babies. There's no particular reason why
they should assume that they would have trouble flying somewhere. The
airline has the experience: it should have warned her and verified
that she had at least a modicum of proper paperwork.

Some people don't even know they need a passport to travel abroad. If
travel professionals can't make them aware of this, how are they
supposed to find out about it? And if Ryanair lets babies board
without proper travel documents, who else do they allow to board?

Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

mrtravel writes:

At this point, she AGAIN relied on Ryanair telling her she didn't need a
passport for the baby.. She relied on Ryanair telling her, despite the
Italians telling her she needed a passport. After the ordeal of the
first trip, do you think that maybe she should have verified what
Ryanair said?

After the ordeal of the first trip, don't you think that maybe Ryanair
would get its facts straight?

I am not saying that Ryanair should have some of the blame, but why
would you rely on their advice for the second trip, since she knew she
got bad advice on the first trip?

It's the logical place to turn. Travel professionals are supposed to
know about these things. Airlines are supposed to _verify_ these
things.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

B Vaughan writes:

I would think that any person
living in the this century would know that you can't travel
internationally with totally undocumented babies.

Why?