Accommodation in Buenos Aires

Old April 26th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Shaun Haines

Default Accommodation in Buenos Aires

"Oscar" wrote in message
om...
Edward:

If it could be useful to you, the University of Buenos Aires, Faculty
of Philosophy and Letters, offers excellent courses of Spanish for
foreigners, from $ 375 to $ 625 ($ means peso argentino, that is US$ 1
= $ 2,83), so in dollars it means from US$ 132.50 to US$ 220.80 for
the whole course. Given from May to July (others in the second part of
the year), intensive as 4 or 5 times a week, 2 hours each, from 09:00
to 18:00 in four sections. Total duration of the courses, 8 and a half
weeks. Accomodation for students is very cheap, high quality food
(also cheap) everywhere, and medicare (this totally free), and Buenos
Aires is a large worth seeing city with plenty of activities to tire
you down all nights. Public transport with fares to laugh at: US$ 0.25
a subway trip combinating freely the whole system; US$ 0.28 a bus ride
(large,comfortable and very frequent), US$ 14 a cab to the airport (or
US$ 5.30 in an excellent pullman bus).

See: http://www.idiomas.filo.uba.ar/mapa/lab/espanol.htm (official
site)

(Up to here this is a copy of an answer I gave to another similar
question here above).

Concerning prices, if people here use $ as a symbol for dollars,
prices are simply astronomic. A flat with living room, kitchen, bath
and a one bedroom can be rented permanently for $ 500 a month, this is
US$ 174, and in a very good neighbourhood. I guess tourists or foreign
students are being slightly robbed here. I myself have been seeking
one for a student nephew of mine, and got even one of those conditions
for $ 440, it is US$ 153 a month, without any extra expenses apart
electricity and gas, in a high-medium class district.

I suppose I'm probably being robbed, but the first time I ever travelled to
Buenos Aires, I'd never been outside the US and $25/day seemed reasonable
compared to what I *thought* were hotel rates. Since then, I've just felt a
certain sense of loyalty to the man whom I do business with, so I don't mind
being the victim of price-gouging so much. Hopefully your suggestions will
help Edward, though.

Cheers!

Shaun