A week in Rome

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
RinR

Default A week in Rome

Ciao Jesper,

There are many hotel options in Rome. The Orto di Roma is not a good
choice as it is far from the center of twon and not convenient to the
metro. Your other option, near Roma Termini - http://tinyurl.com/roma-termini
- will give you better transportation alternatives. You might also
look at this link - http://tinyurl.com/25-hotels. It has the top 25
rated hotels from the biggest search engines and reviewers in town,
although they are scattered all over town and at different pricing
levels.

You might all consider hostels, convents or monastery residences -
http://tinyurl.com/Rome-convents . There are plenty in Rome,
especially in the Vatican or Prati area.

I've lived in Rome for 3+ years and we get around primarily by public
transport and our motorino. The buses - http://tinyurl.com/rome-bus -
in Rome will give you the best alternative. Unfortunately, the metro
- http://tinyurl.com/rome-metro - is limited to only 2 lines... and
further limited by construction, closing the A Line at 21:00 six days
a week - http://tinyurl.com/metro-2100. Tickets - http://tinyurl.com/rome-tickets
- are easy to get at Tabacchi shops and at self-service kiosks -
http://tinyurl.com/bus-kiosk.

As far as getting to CIA (Ciampino) airport for a 06:00 flight, you
will be limited to a taxi, a private shuttle service, the Terravision
Bus - http://www.terravision.eu/rome_ciampino.html - or the SitBus
Shuttle - http://www.sitbusshuttle.it/index.ph...d=6 0&lang=en
-

Both the Terravision and SitBus leave Roma Termini at 04:30, arriving
at 05:00 and are relatively inexpensive- all the more reason to stay
close to Roma Termini. There are no trains directly to CIA, only FCO.
Te taxi fare is €30 from inside the Aurelian walls, but that rate is
pending an increase soon! I would not stay near Ciampino as there is
NOTHING out there... and you'd miss an evening walking around Rome -
http://tinyurl.com/rome-night

For off the beaten path, you might look at these suggestions:

Porta Portese - http://tinyurl.com/porta-portese
Cripta dei Cappuccini - http://tinyurl.com/bone-church
Aqueduct Park in Rome - http://tinyurl.com/aqueduct-park
The Non-Catholic Cemetery - http://tinyurl.com/Cestio
The Catacombs of Rome - http://tinyurl.com/rome-catacombs
Ostia Antica - http://tinyurl.com/ostia-antica
Orvieto - http://tinyurl.com/orvieto-daytrip
Tivoli (Villa D’Este) - http://tinyurl.com/tivoli-daytrip
Lake Bracciano - http://tinyurl.com/lake-bracciano

Good Luck!!
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

On 6/04/2011 10:27, RinR wrote:
[...]

Off-topic a liitle: I stayed at the monastery of l'Aquila many years
ago. Quite an experience. "Monastic" is the best way to describe the
accommodation. I've no idea if they are still there following that
tragic earthquake.

http://cannes-or-bust.com/

Old April 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"amalric" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin wrote:

The metro is limited so you will have to use the bus quite a lot

Damn. I dislike using buses in unknown cities.

There is also a frequent tram that goes from the central station to
almost as far as Frascati.

Being perhaps the only English speaker living in Rome in this thread
I'll give you some different advice.

Get a central B&B: it should be 20 EU per person. Since you are alone,
they might charge you for a Room.

My experience in Italy is that I wouldn't even consider a room at this price
unless I had a trustable personal recommendation. I certainly wouldn't
randomly pick one from a list

A small list is at the comunediroma site.

Just get an ordinary bus ticket, and don't use it until you see men in
blue suits catching the bus in front. Those will check your ticket,
otherwise you can get a free ride, especially if it's short.

Oh yeah, (after having paid 500 Euro for my flight/accommodation) I really
am so short of 15 Euro that I want this hassle

tim

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Brian[_1_]

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:30:58 +0200, amalric
wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

The metro is limited so you will have to use the bus quite a lot

Damn. I dislike using buses in unknown cities.

There is also a frequent tram that goes from the central station to
almost as far as Frascati.

Being perhaps the only English speaker living in Rome in this thread
I'll give you some different advice.

Get a central B&B: it should be 20 EU per person. Since you are alone,
they might charge you for a Room.

A small list is at the comunediroma site.

Just get an ordinary bus ticket, and don't use it until you see men in
blue suits catching the bus in front. Those will check your ticket,
otherwise you can get a free ride, especially if it's short.

Newstands in central Rome have 'Wanted in Rome' that will tell you about
all the venues and museums.

The city plan is made as a star, with the main streets departing from
the ancient walls, wich are known even today as the Consular ways: the
Appia, Flaminia, Tiburtina, Casilina, Salaria, etc.

If you have only a week I advise to stay within the walls, such is the
abundance of monuments and museums - and pleasant terraces. Only
exception is the ancient Via Appia, and the Ostia archaeological city.
The Christian Rome bus reaches the first, metro the second.

Am.

Basilica of St.Paul Outside the Walls.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

I booked a hotel at Piazza Bologna for 67 euro per night. There's a bus from
Termini at 4:50 (just typing that hour makes me shiver) to the airport, so I
scraped the idea of booking another hotel for the final night.

One more question: where to go for peace and quiet? I'll probably need that
after a while.

On 2011-04-01, Johannes Kleese wrote:

For sightseeing you could use tram 3, 8 and 19. There's a (German)
article at
http://www.bloghof.net/romehome/trac...=1dipor4fxnc46 about
this.

That's the kind of thing I would typically do. I'll check it out.

Thanks to everyone.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

How many times is he going to say that...

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 12:30:58 +0200, amalric
wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

I'd include Villa Adriana.
--

Martin

Old April 14th, 2011, 01:22 PM
harryoung harryoung is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper Lauridsen[_1_] View Post
A bit of a last minute deal, but I just realised I has some vacation time
to spare. Also posting to a travel newsgroup from a moving train, does have
its charm.

I'm going to Rome for a week in April, tuesday to tuesday. I'm trying to do
it on the cheap, having so far spent 100 euro on airfare.

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot. What
is the PT situation in Rome like? What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

Should I be using another search engine?

My return flight is very early, so I have to be at Ciampino airport at 6 in
the morning. I'm considering booking a hotel near the airport for the final
night. One option is "Idea Hotel Roma Cinecittà, Via Torre di Mezzavia 25,
00173, Rom" for 90 euro. Or should I look at somehing near a train station?
Does PT run that early?

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand architecture. Rome should have
that in spades, right? What areas should I be focusing on? What the most
impressive churches?
A week in Rome is a good time span to enjoy its attractions. http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/interna...week-itinerary Here one can find quite useful information for planning itinerary for Rome. Hope it helps.
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-03-31 04:02:06 -0500, Jesper Lauridsen said:

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot. What
is the PT situation in Rome like? What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

The subway system is super simple, only two lines, that cross at the
Termini main train station. You cannot get lost. But of course WEAR A
MONEYBELT as pickpockets are common in Rome. I'd steer clar of
buses... that sounds like a good way to get lost.
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old April 16th, 2011, 02:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-03-31 04:02:06 -0500, Jesper Lauridsen said:

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

Check them out with TripAdvisor.com