Tips for avoiding mosquito bites

Old April 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

Default Tips for avoiding mosquito bites

In article ,
(David Horne) wrote:

Priya Mehta wrote:

The most common solution against a mosquito attack at night,
especially in tropical countries, is the use of a net over the bed
when going to sleep. It keeps the mosquitoes out.

If you can afford it, staying in high quality hotels is also a good
idea. I wasn't once bothered by mosquitos on a just completed trip to
India, including Goa. At the hotel in Agra, there were a large number of
mosquitos outside in the evening (and several stuck outside our window
in the morning) but not a peep of them anywhere inside. Ironically, the
only place where they were a mild annoyance was at Delhi airport as we
waited to depart! I had skin spray with me, but only rarely used it, and
even then, probably didn't need it.

(By contrast, I remember being bothered by mosquitoes at night when I
lived in Delhi in a private home for 6 weeks in the late 80s.)

I've been quite bothered by mosquitoes in cheaper hotels in Greece, even
Spain- staying in more upmarket places (the norm in recent years) I
haven't had any problems. They don't seem to like air conditioned spaces
IME.

Didn't someone say on this group years ago that staying above the 2nd or
3rd floor is the way to avoid getting bit while sleeping?
Old April 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 4/21/2012 12:11 PM, poldy wrote:
In ,
(David Horne) wrote:

Priya wrote:

[...]

That doesn't work in NJ...
Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Priya Mehta:

The most common solution against a mosquito attack at night,
especially in tropical countries, is the use of a net over the bed
when going to sleep.

At daytime, just lie down and wait until they have passed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA7ny6KegFQ

--
Erick
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2012-04-21 16:11:26 +0000, poldy said:

Didn't someone say on this group years ago that staying above the 2nd or
3rd floor is the way to avoid getting bit while sleeping?

Maybe that works someplace.

I got eaten alive on the 7th floor of a downtown hotel in Salvador de
Bahia in Brazil. I finally managed to get crush my tormentor against a
wall. When I did it looked like he had about tablespoon of my precious
bodily fluids. It made an amazing smear on the wall and the size was
astronomic.

A friend who opened a shop in his garage, not far from a small mosquito
breeding farm found that he could buy citronella bracelet and it
operated as a force field for about one day. They cost 50 cents in the
US, and you can buy a big ol' bag of them.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

Old May 1st, 2012, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

On 01/05/2012 5:24 PM, gtr wrote:

I got eaten alive on the 7th floor of a downtown hotel in Salvador de
Bahia in Brazil. I finally managed to get crush my tormentor against a
wall. When I did it looked like he had about tablespoon of my precious
bodily fluids. It made an amazing smear on the wall and the size was
astronomic.

You were being eaten alive by that one insect? There are lots of places
where the mosquitoes fly in swarms around any warm blooded animal, and
sometimes there are blackflies thrown into the mix

A friend who opened a shop in his garage, not far from a small mosquito
breeding farm found that he could buy citronella bracelet and it
operated as a force field for about one day. They cost 50 cents in the
US, and you can buy a big ol' bag of them.

There are lots of good insect repellents on the market that are quite
effective. It also helps to minimize the amount of exposed skin. In my
experience, loose fitting is better because it the material is tight
against your skin an enterprising mosquito can squeeze right past the
fabric.
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
gtr

On 2012-05-01 21:31:55 +0000, Dave Smith said:

On 01/05/2012 5:24 PM, gtr wrote:

I got eaten alive on the 7th floor of a downtown hotel in Salvador de
Bahia in Brazil. I finally managed to get crush my tormentor against a
wall. When I did it looked like he had about tablespoon of my precious
bodily fluids. It made an amazing smear on the wall and the size was
astronomic.

You were being eaten alive by that one insect? There are lots of
places where the mosquitoes fly in swarms around any warm blooded
animal, and sometimes there are blackflies thrown into the mix

Yes one lousy mosquito. But he was raising welts on me you wouldn't
believe. Hell, maybe he wasn't even a mosquito. I know this: If
there's a mosquito at the garden party he's on my neck. It's really
quite amazing.

A friend who opened a shop in his garage, not far from a small mosquito
breeding farm found that he could buy citronella bracelet and it
operated as a force field for about one day. They cost 50 cents in the
US, and you can buy a big ol' bag of them.

There are lots of good insect repellents on the market that are quite
effective.

I hate putting that stuff on my skin. I haven't tried the bracelet
yet, but it sounds ideal for me, since I can carry them in the car or
in my pocket and "apply" without a minimum of fuss. They work on him,
I just hope they'll work on me as the season approaches.

It also helps to minimize the amount of exposed skin. In my
experience, loose fitting is better because it the material is tight
against your skin an enterprising mosquito can squeeze right past the
fabric.

Right you are. But my big problems eventualy become my hand, neck and face.

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:43 AM
bizflats bizflats is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Anderson View Post
Paul Aubrin writes:

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 03:40:25 -0700, Priya Mehta wrote:

The most common solution against a mosquito attack at night,
especially in tropical countries, is the use of a net over the bed when
going to sleep. It keeps the mosquitoes out.

The most efficient solution is to use a fan.
You will seldom be annoyed by mosquitoes in Europe.

I don't remember the name of the town, but we were prety bothered by
mosquitoes in France one night in Brittany near Briere Regional
Natural Park.

And yes, it is also hard not to believe they are a hazard in the
Camargue.

Having said that, apart from isolated experiences, I have found
mosquitoes much less prevalent in the parts of Europe I've spent time
in than in east coast or midwestern US.

Still, when they are annoying, they are very annoying, and screens
seem not yet to have been invented in the old world. I recall one
very hot night (in southern Brittany) where we were told "at bedtime,
close the bedroom window, spray this big can of Off around the room,
leave for ten minutes, and then come back to the room and go to
sleep." (Keeping window closed.)

It was amusing that this was how guests were expected to cope, but it
didn't make for much of a night's sleep. Either stifle with the
window closed breathing "Off" fumes, or open up the window and welcome
back the mosquitoes.

Still, malaria seemed like no danger.
thats an interesting idea !