A week in Rome

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

Default A week in Rome

A bit of a last minute deal, but I just realised I has some vacation time
to spare. Also posting to a travel newsgroup from a moving train, does have
its charm.

I'm going to Rome for a week in April, tuesday to tuesday. I'm trying to do
it on the cheap, having so far spent 100 euro on airfare.

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot. What
is the PT situation in Rome like? What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

Should I be using another search engine?

My return flight is very early, so I have to be at Ciampino airport at 6 in
the morning. I'm considering booking a hotel near the airport for the final
night. One option is "Idea Hotel Roma Cinecittà, Via Torre di Mezzavia 25,
00173, Rom" for 90 euro. Or should I look at somehing near a train station?
Does PT run that early?

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand architecture. Rome should have
that in spades, right? What areas should I be focusing on? What the most
impressive churches?
Old March 31st, 2011, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
A bit of a last minute deal, but I just realised I has some vacation time
to spare. Also posting to a travel newsgroup from a moving train, does
have
its charm.

I'm going to Rome for a week in April, tuesday to tuesday. I'm trying to
do
it on the cheap, having so far spent 100 euro on airfare.

Which week - Easter is in April! (do I need to spell out why that is
important?)

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot.
What
is the PT situation in Rome like?

The metro is limited so you will have to use the bus quite a lot

What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

4E per day, 11E for 3 days, 16E for a week

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

No. It's miles from a convenient station

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

Should I be using another search engine?

IME HRS will give you the best choices.

My return flight is very early, so I have to be at Ciampino airport at 6
in
the morning. I'm considering booking a hotel near the airport for the
final
night. One option is "Idea Hotel Roma Cinecittà, Via Torre di Mezzavia 25,
00173, Rom" for 90 euro. Or should I look at somehing near a train
station?
Does PT run that early?

The first train to the airport is at 5:52.

There appears to be a bus alternative overnight

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand architecture. Rome should have
that in spades, right? What areas should I be focusing on? What the most
impressive churches?

I think you need to get an appropriate guide book. Individual
recommendations will certainly miss out some places

You might also want to see if you can find a download for this (it really
does have some appropriate ideas):

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0046250/

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Steve Cain

Stromboli is really the only "choice" here. The other is isolated.

Stromboli puts you within walking distance or hand metro/bus to the many
venues you want to get to quickly.

Old April 1st, 2011, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot. What
is the PT situation in Rome like? What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14 explains a number of tickets,
check the 7-day-ticket CIS for € 16.

For sightseeing you could use tram 3, 8 and 19. There's a (German)
article at
http://www.bloghof.net/romehome/trac...=1dipor4fxnc46 about
this. I've seen another article about sightseeing by public transport
last week but can't remember where :/
Old April 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:02:06 +0200, Jesper Lauridsen
wrote:

A bit of a last minute deal, but I just realised I has some vacation time
to spare. Also posting to a travel newsgroup from a moving train, does have
its charm.

I'm going to Rome for a week in April, tuesday to tuesday. I'm trying to do
it on the cheap, having so far spent 100 euro on airfare.

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot. What
is the PT situation in Rome like? What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

Most of things a tourist will want to see is centrally located, and
can be easily walked to, if your hotel is centrally located. Public
transportation isn't really needed the great majority of the time. If
you occasionally want to get someplace a little farther away, just
take the metro and buy a ticket. A pass shouldn't be needed.

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

It's *very* far from central Rome, and I therefore strongly recommend
against it. If you have to use so much of your time every day to get
back and forth to where you want to go, you will find that your week
is much shorter than you think it is.

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

A much more central location, but still not very central. And that
location has a bad reputation for street crime, especially at night.

I recommend finding a more central hotel, even if it costs a little
more.

Should I be using another search engine?

My return flight is very early, so I have to be at Ciampino airport at 6 in
the morning. I'm considering booking a hotel near the airport for the final
night. One option is "Idea Hotel Roma Cinecittà, Via Torre di Mezzavia 25,
00173, Rom" for 90 euro. Or should I look at somehing near a train station?
Does PT run that early?

I can't help with that. I usually stay in my central hotel and get
picked up by a service. It costs a little, but it's very convenient.

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand architecture. Rome should have
that in spades, right? What areas should I be focusing on? What the most
impressive churches?

I could give you my recommendations, but I think it's best to buy a
book and make your own decisions from what it tells you. I recommend
the Top Ten book about Rome. It's not the best, but it's good, it's
got the kind of information you want, it's inexpensive, and it's small
enough to easily carry in a jacket pocket.

--
Ken Blake
Old April 1st, 2011, 07:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom[_1_]

wrote:
[...]

Aside from the regular tourist sites, I found the San Clemente Church
to be an incredible find. Under two church buildings is a preserved,
first century Roman street. Very fascinating and very close to the
Coliseum.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ken Blake[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm a fan of that too. Been there several times, and I also
recommend it.

But I'm reluctant to recommend too much to someone. We all have
different tastes and interests, and it's difficult here in a newsgroup
to provide as much info about a site as a guidebook can.

--
Ken Blake
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

2 days without internet. What a horrible experience.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:56:20 +0100, "tim...."
wrote:

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
.. .
A bit of a last minute deal, but I just realised I has some vacation time
to spare. Also posting to a travel newsgroup from a moving train, does
have
its charm.

I'm going to Rome for a week in April, tuesday to tuesday. I'm trying to
do
it on the cheap, having so far spent 100 euro on airfare.

Which week - Easter is in April! (do I need to spell out why that is
important?)

Not Easter. Doubt my airfare would have been that cheap.

Transport. For this kind of trip I usually use public transport a lot.
What
is the PT situation in Rome like?

The metro is limited so you will have to use the bus quite a lot

Damn. I dislike using buses in unknown cities.

What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

4E per day, 11E for 3 days, 16E for a week

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14

That's not bad.

Accomodation. The cheapest hotel offered me on hrs.de is "Orto di Roma,
Via di Grotta Perfetta 551, 00142, Rom" for 60 euro per night. Includes
breakfast and free wifi. Is this an ok location? Easy to reach by metro?

No. It's miles from a convenient station

I was afraid of that.

An alternative is "Stromboli, Via Marsala 34, 00185, Rom - Termini" for
61.67 euro. Breakfast, but no free wifi.

Should I be using another search engine?

IME HRS will give you the best choices.

It's just that the *cheapest* options are 60 euro, which isn't cheap at
all.

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand architecture. Rome should have
that in spades, right? What areas should I be focusing on? What the most
impressive churches?

I think you need to get an appropriate guide book. Individual
recommendations will certainly miss out some places

Guide books are my weakness. I'll check the library when I get home.

I plan to revisit: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0092637/
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
"tim...." wrote:

What kind of ticket should I get? I
prefer day/week passes.

4E per day, 11E for 3 days, 16E for a week

http://www.atac.roma.it/index.asp?p=14

Rome Pass may be an option, if there is any plan to visit the most
popular sites.

Centro Storico is otherwise compact, could be walked easily. Maybe save
bus rides for going out to the Termini or to the Vatican.

Of course, may have to pay more to stay in Centro Storico but would save
some time.

For a week, day trips may be something to consider, like Villa Adriano
and Villa d'Este.

Some people go to Florence or Orvieto too.

My return flight is very early, so I have to be at Ciampino airport at 6
in
the morning. I'm considering booking a hotel near the airport for the
final
night. One option is "Idea Hotel Roma Cinecittà, Via Torre di Mezzavia 25,
00173, Rom" for 90 euro. Or should I look at somehing near a train
station?
Does PT run that early?

The first train to the airport is at 5:52.

There appears to be a bus alternative overnight

For such earlier departures, you may have to pay for a taxi or save
money with something like Rome Shuttle, though they will probably pick
you up 2-3 hours before your flight.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

The Termini area is fine and that's where you will find alot of cheap
hotels.
Plus with the metro and the major bus hub there it makes getting around
very easy.

Even the buses are easy for a 1st timer if you pick-up a 'Roma
Metro-Bus' booklet, it's laminated and the size of a wide (but thin)
paperback book.
The map is very easy to use as it shows the major bus routes and bus
numbers.
Mostly all the esp Termini & surrounding area newstands will have it.

At the end of the day look for the bus stop signs and the odds are 1 or
more buses will be heading to Termini.

It's easy, look at the signs and from top to bottom and it lists the
stops in order.
Say that bus is already enroute you will see say 5 stops listed but the
6th is enclosed in a bracket outline, that is where you are.
Now if say 5 stops below the 'bracketed stop' you see the word TERMINI
in bold capital letters, just hop-on that bus number when it arrives.

Although there are exceptions; Like the night buses, I forget the name
on the sign for them but I do believe there is a night-theme logo
(stars, moon, etc) on them.
Also some buses that don't run on Sundays and holidays, Saturdays
possible but rare? if they do?

Two past regulars here recommended this budget hotel.
www.hotel-lucia.com/eng/index_en.htm
Barbara was an expat living in Italy and she stayed alone once and once
with her adult daughter.
The rate is €50 for a Single with shared bath and €75 for a Double
with ensuite bath.

Ciampino airport at 6 by the morning

Taxis have a fixed rate to the airports FCO was €40 last I heard and
CIA was €35.
But the fare might be alittle higher if he's called to your hotel or if
there is 'night charge'?

You might want to consider (as already mentioned) hiring a car &
driver, I'm guessing €45-50 with the 'night charge'.

Stuff to see. My preference is for grand
architecture.

Start at the beginning....The Pantheon.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...