First Visit to USA

Old September 26th, 2004, 07:37 PM
dtren

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message ...
I've used Auto Europe with success but Holiday Autos appears cheaper.
Have you actually used them and what type of companies do they use?

dtren wrote:

Car hire is often cheaper arranged in the UK before you go. Firms such
as Holiday Autos and Auto Europe (yes, they cover the US as well)
offer all inclusive rates:

http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/car.cfm

http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/

that are usually cheaper than booking direct

I used them in Spain and Portugal a few years back and they were fine.
They used good quality local independent operators - as good as any of
the big franchises.

I believe in the US they use the likes of Dollar and Alamo - it will
vary with location.

They had a rival called Autos Abroad (Hire for Lower) who went bust
undercutting them. More recently I've found Auto Europe slightly
cheaper. I'd not hesitate to use either of them or even play one off
against the other for a lower rate.

Old September 28th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Richard

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message

imagine what could be saved if you didn't post boring
bull**** like this

Weird. I thought it was pretty interesting.

Richard

Old October 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
Mark Brader

Doug McClure writes:
I also want to add that the Smithsonian also has another aerospace
museum at Dulles Airport: http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/ where the
museum stores hundreds of restored aircraft. (I believe that
previously this museum was located in Suitland, Maryland. When I
visited it, they were restoring the Enola Gay, for example).

That's sort of correct.

The National Air and Space Museum has three parts, but only two of them
are open to the public. First there is:

* Their main building on Independence Avenue, part of the National
Mall in central Washington. They sometimes call this their
"flagship" museum or the Mall museum, to distinguish it from
the other parts.

This has been open for about 30 years and is very popular, with
good reason. I've been there four or five times; it's worth a
whole day if you're sufficiently interested in the subject and
haven't been before.

Second:

* The Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia (near Dulles
International Airport).

This opened last year and is not yet fully populated with exhibits.
It's a much larger building, containing large airplanes that won't
fit in the main museum, but it has much less in the way of other
forms of exhibit than the main museum. I thought a couple of hours
was sufficient there.

Unfortunately, the location is quite inaccessible if you don't
have a car -- apparently the only way to get there from the city
center, short of an expensive taxi ride, is a dedicated bus from
the main museum. This takes about 45 minutes each way, runs
only a few times a day, and requires you to reserve in advance.
I suppose an alternative would be to get to Dulles Airport by
whatever transportation operates there these days, then take
a taxi.

The A in "Hazy" is pronounced with an "ah" sound.

The third part is:

* The Garber Facility in Suitland, Maryland.
..
This is the museum's back room, so to speak, where parts of
the collection not on public display are kept, and where planes
are restored for display. The idea is that the Udvar-Hazy Center
will largely replace it -- I'm not sure if it's going to go away
altogether, or if some planes will continue to be stored here.
Planes are being moved from here to the Udvar-Hazy, which takes
time, and the restoration work is also going to move, after which
the public will be able to watch it happening. The Garber Facility
could formerly be visited by guided tour only, and now is closed
to the public.

As with all of the Smithsonian, admission to both public parts of
the museum is free, but you have to go through a security barrier.
They do charge for movie shows or the bus to the Udvar-Hazy.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The three dots '...' here suppress a lot of detail