First Visit to USA

Old September 21st, 2004, 10:20 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi,
We are an elderly but reasonably fit couple wanting to spend some 2 weeks

in
USA. It will be our first visit and I wondered if some kind person(s)

could
point me towards a web site that might give me some info. We would like to
see things that we cannot in the UK specifically or Europe in general i.e
Space exploration Museums, etc

When do you plan to make the visit ?

This is quite important as the US has rather more extremes
of climate than Shropshire.

Keith

Old September 21st, 2004, 11:45 AM
Dominic Kelly

Tom,

If you send me an email directly I will send you a link to a website I put
together on our recent trip to the USA. It's not quite finished, so I don't
want to put it out there on the newsgroup as yet, but I think it may have
some useful info for you. Anyway, if you write to me I will send you the
link.

Kind regards,

Dominic
"Tom" wrote in message
Hi,
We are an elderly but reasonably fit couple wanting to spend some 2 weeks

in
USA. It will be our first visit and I wondered if some kind person(s)

could
point me towards a web site that might give me some info. We would like to
see things that we cannot in the UK specifically or Europe in general i.e
Space exploration Museums, etc
We might want to hire a carif our UK drivers licence would cover us. We
would hope to keep out of hurricane areas, and criminally unsafe areas.
Tom,
From Shropshire UK

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:11 PM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 08:25:06 GMT, Pan wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:55:42 +0100, "Tom"
wrote:

Washington DC it is then. Any reccomendations as to flights from UK and also
documentation required? eg Visas?
Tom

For flights, check the usual suspects (travelocity.com, expedia.com,
orbitz.com, lowestfare.com, not in any particular order) and check
airline websites for special deals (rare, but can happen).

UK subjects do not need visas to go to the U.S. for pleasure.

This is true if the subjects have the new type of machine-readable
passport. If not, beginning at some date in the not-too-distant
future, a visa will be required. It would probably be easier and
cheaper to get a new passport than to get a visa.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
UK subjects do not need visas to go to the U.S. for pleasure.

This is true if the subjects have the new type of machine-readable
passport. If not, beginning at some date in the not-too-distant
future, a visa will be required. It would probably be easier and
cheaper to get a new passport than to get a visa.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

The only non machine-readable UK passports still extant
are the small number issued by overseas embassies
and consulates. My passport is due for renewal in April
and is machine readable.

Keith

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM
Juliana L Holm

wrote:

Washington DC it is then. Any reccomendations as to flights from UK and also
documentation required? eg Visas?
Tom

For flights, check the usual suspects (travelocity.com, expedia.com,
orbitz.com, lowestfare.com, not in any particular order) and check
airline websites for special deals (rare, but can happen).

Flights.com is another that I have used in travelling to Europe from DC.
Virgin ATlantic is often but not always the cheapest across the pond.

I have lived in the DC area for 25 years or so, and am a travel afficionado,
and I would be glad to make any recommendations I can.

Visit the Air and Space Museum on a weekday, it is the most popular museum
in DC and maybe in the world. I believe there is a bus you can take from the
museum on the mall to the Dulles Facility, which I have not yet been to.

There are many other sites in washington, but I'd need to know more about
your likes and dislikes.

If Parks are an attraction, you could do worse than Shenandoah National Park
and Skyline Drive. DO this also on a weekday. You will need to rent a car.
An inexpensive way to do this is to take the metro out to Vienna, and to rent
from Enterprise, which has a location in the Pan Am Shopping Center. It's
a bit of a walk on a busy highway to Pan Am, but Enterprise will generally
bring the car to you. They also have good rates.

I'm glad to help with anything else.

Julie
--
Julie