Hawaii recommendations for 2 week stay? Maui and [??]

Old January 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Holier Than Thou

"Alan Street" wrote in message

I would agree with the cattleboat description, but after experiencing
"Capt. Alain" I would never recommend this shop to anyone. A nasty
little divemaster who was constantly tapping his tank with a metal rod,
herding his flock and scolding anyone who dared to stray. The
quintessential cattleboat experience.

Sounds like you and I had the same guy. Lahaina Divers has always been a
good operator for us, except, the last time we used them. And what you
describe is just what happened to us. Very annoying but just one
experience.

Old January 18th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Marior

"eeo" wrote in message
news

One last bit of advice about Maui, do the "Haleakala Sunrise Bike Tour."
There is talk of shutting it down so do it now. It will be a highlight of
you trip. However, plan ahead. Remember the rules of ascending to

altitude.

This was possibly the worst bicycle excursion I've ever done. Raining all
day, cold at elevation, slippery surfaces, and 2000 rent a cars seemingly
trying to run you over amidst all the hairpin turns on a pretty narrow, and
poor, road surface. FTR I've done many cycling trips around the world and
this one has nothing specific that I'd recommend. The view of course is
great all along on a clear day but you enjoy it more driving than on a bike
where you're just trying to survive....If it was a dedicated cycling trail,
and it should be, my opinion would be much different but its NOT and be
forewarned that you'll be fighting with inattentive, scenery watching,
drivers who are literally running you off the road all day. just my two
cents.

Old January 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
eeo

"Marior" wrote in message

This was possibly the worst bicycle excursion I've ever done. Raining all
day, cold at elevation, slippery surfaces, and 2000 rent a cars seemingly
trying to run you over amidst all the hairpin turns on a pretty narrow,
and
poor, road surface. FTR I've done many cycling trips around the world and
this one has nothing specific that I'd recommend. The view of course is
great all along on a clear day but you enjoy it more driving than on a
bike
where you're just trying to survive....If it was a dedicated cycling
trail,
and it should be, my opinion would be much different but its NOT and be
forewarned that you'll be fighting with inattentive, scenery watching,
drivers who are literally running you off the road all day. just my two
cents.

Well, if you are a "serious" biker, what are you doing on Maui? ...

In fact, why don't you come over to my isle. We'll take care of you real
quick. LOL

Now listen: if you are really into road biking, don't come to Hawaii.
Except for the Big Isle, you will only be courting death. Don't blame me.
I didn't design the road systems. I'm just stating the facts. But it does
amaze me that more and more I see these folks in their funky little outfits
and $2K bikes, peddling down Kam Hwy. With me, they're lucky. I'm a
patient man who drives slower than your Grandmother. But the guy behind
me...? It kind of reminds me of a friend I knew in graduate school. He was
studying Geology. He had this hilarious t-shirt that read: "Stop Plate
Tectonics!" That one still makes me chuckle...

And yes, the over-crowding is why they are talking about shutting the ride
down.

But, the views are incredible. And for the rest of us mere mortals: after
getting woken up at 3am to see those views, we don't want to have to peddle.

Old January 18th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Marior

"eeo" wrote in message

"Marior" wrote in message

[...]

heh, I'm not a pro but just a pretty good rec cycler that used to be able to
keep up with the elite. Emphasis on used to. I've participated in
different road races and events just for how will I do kind of interest.
Have also done the Jasper-Banff trip here in Alberta Canada which is an
awesome trip. Truly a life altering experience.

In fact, why don't you come over to my isle. We'll take care of you real
quick. LOL

heh, Now I'm even more hesitant to cycle in Hawaii ;-)

Now listen: if you are really into road biking, don't come to Hawaii.
Except for the Big Isle, you will only be courting death. Don't blame me.
I didn't design the road systems. I'm just stating the facts.

So it sounds like we agree. Sorry for stepping in like I did but your
original info on the Haleakala ride just sounded incomplete to me and I
thought people should be also very aware of the drawbacks and what they're
getting into. No offence intended. Usenet to me is best used as a getting
the real goods info source, not the touristy everythings great and wonderful
stuff you get elsewhere. FTR I think Hawaii is mostly great and wonderful
just not this cycle trip.

But it does
amaze me that more and more I see these folks in their funky little

outfits
and $2K bikes, peddling down Kam Hwy.

heh, just so you know I was properly dressed for haleakala and not going
particularly slow but the road surface alone can throw you for a loop.
Trouble for cyclers on busy, narrow, winding, roads always is that the
driver assumes they're giving you some space on the road (usually inches)
but the space is taken up by a washout, or a large rock, loose gravel etc
and you can't do nothing but go OH NO!! and hang on for life sometimes. Not
much room to avert or avoid on that trip and if you go the wrong way you're
getting down the mountain much faster than intended G

With me, they're lucky. I'm a
patient man who drives slower than your Grandmother. But the guy behind
me...? It kind of reminds me of a friend I knew in graduate school. He

was
studying Geology. He had this hilarious t-shirt that read: "Stop Plate
Tectonics!" That one still makes me chuckle...

LOL! I've seen that shirt its makes the rounds. I took 1st year Geology.

And yes, the over-crowding is why they are talking about shutting the ride
down.

Just wondering if you know whether this is also due to how many accidents
have occurred.

But, the views are incredible.

Undeniably. Only thing better for me there was in NaPali coastline in Kauai
or Hanelei bay or Hana or etc. I'm a hiker too and I live in a good place
for it. I loved that I didn't have to worry about bears or other large
carnivores in Hawaii. Just watch your step and enjoy the scenery.

And for the rest of us mere mortals: after
getting woken up at 3am to see those views, we don't want to have to

peddle.

Yeah, the drive was fine and that leaves energy to take some of the trails
once you're up there.

Old January 20th, 2005, 12:25 AM
Eric Sadoyama

eeo wrote:
The one thing they don't warn you about is what happens when lava
flows into the sea. It creates a mist that contains sulfuric acid.
It stings the eyes and is uncomfortable but the experience is
worth a little discomfort.

One nitpick: when the hot lava hits the water, it generates clouds of
hydrochloric acid, not sulfuric acid. I would disagree with eeo and
tell you to stay out of the steam clouds in any case; a lungful of acid
is not a good idea.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html is a good place to
check on current lava conditions.

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM
eeo

"Marior" wrote in message

So it sounds like we agree. Sorry for stepping in like I did but your
original info on the Haleakala ride just sounded incomplete to me and I
thought people should be also very aware of the drawbacks and what they're
getting into. No offence intended. Usenet to me is best used as a getting
the real goods info source, not the touristy everythings great and

wonderful
stuff you get elsewhere. FTR I think Hawaii is mostly great and wonderful
just not this cycle trip.

Hawaii can be a wonderful vacation destination. But not if what you want to
do is bicycle. Actually, the Big Isle would be good but please don't visit
Oahu, or any of the other Isles if that's what you want to do on your
vacation.

But it does
amaze me that more and more I see these folks in their funky little

outfits
and $2K bikes, peddling down Kam Hwy.

heh, just so you know I was properly dressed for haleakala and not going
particularly slow but the road surface alone can throw you for a loop.
Trouble for cyclers on busy, narrow, winding, roads always is that the
driver assumes they're giving you some space on the road (usually inches)
but the space is taken up by a washout, or a large rock, loose gravel etc
and you can't do nothing but go OH NO!! and hang on for life sometimes.

Not
much room to avert or avoid on that trip and if you go the wrong way

you're
getting down the mountain much faster than intended G

It is the fear of accidents, and deaths, that is causing all the talk about
shutting the ride down. Welcome to Hawaii. They can have the strangest
problem to solve. Personally, I think they should shut the entire road down
between 3am-9am to anyone but liscensed tour operators. The problem is too
much traffic. Fine, get rid of all the clueless tourists behind the wheel.
If you want to see the sun rise from the Haleakala summit, then you will
have to be part of a guided tour. And that's that. It doesn't sound like
to much to ask in order to keep the event accessible for everyone. Does it?

[...]

Isn't the Na Pali Coast fabulous? Actually, the Wife and I have our tenth
wedding anniversary coming up. We are planning on spending it by paddling
our kayaks along the Na Pali Coast. In theory, it will be an easy two-day
trip, but we've never camped off our kayaks before. We've been spending a
lot of time planning this one. I've spent enough time paddling about these
Islands to know that nothing will go according to plan but it still should
be a "trip of a lifetime."

Old January 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM
TheNewsGuy

I just returned from three weeks in Hawaii. - bags are still loaded
with dirty clothes, but I'll take time to add my 2 cents...
======== =========== ========== ========= ======== =======
Honolulu is not so bad if you know where to go on Oahu and how to get
there. We rented a car for a day and drove the Pali highway to Pali
lookout, up to Valley of the Temples, North Shore for some photos of
18 foot waves and great surfers, picnic lunch at Waimea Bay, a short
tour of Dole, some ice cream and back to Honolulu, and (the ladies)
shopped at Alo Moana Mall - A great Day!!

Many say you don't need a car on Oahu and that is true if you have a
lot of time. The busses are great - we took them to Hanauma Bay for a
day of sun and snorkeling with the fishes, and another day to climb
Diamond Head. If we had more time in Oahu I would get a bus pass and
take a lot of day trips. We had great inexpensive suppers at (fast
food) Wolfgang Puck's and sat there by the beach watching the Pacific
Rim people of all sorts many evenings. We did a beautiful dinner at
The Pacific Beach Hotel buffet in front of their two story aquarium.

Nice free shows - music - dancing -on Waikiki beach each evening at
6pm.

So, yes Honolulu is a big north american city but most big north
american cities don't have a tropical beach a few steps from your
door, rain forests, hiking trails, etc...

But we then also stayed 10 days on the Big Island and 7 days on Maui
each were spectacular.

You do need a car on each of these islands to enjoy the sites.

One of the best Big Island kept secrets is Makalawena Beach. No
facilities, really hard to get to, but what a place!!! If anyone has
been there you know what I mean.

I did not like the "public" beaches on the Big Island that have been
taken over by the corporate hotels. Sure, they are groomed and
convenient but, getting a "pass" and "permission" to enter then having
to walk a great deal to find some quiet spot... not our thing. Hapuna
Beach, once a great beach is getting very crowded and lacking in clean
facilities.

We drove the entire island, visiting the Botanical Gardens on the
short "scenic drive" on the way to Hilo - Magnificent (and I am not
into gardening) - it was a great Rain Forest Jungle experience. (Be
sure to use insect repellent). Short walk (hike?) to Akaka Falls;
vsited the Tsunami Museum in Hilo (very relevent today). Watched them
pick and pack the delicious Macadamia Nuts at tha Mauno Loa factory.

Drove to the top of Mauna Loa crater - with more time there are nice
hiling trails through the Park.

Snorkeled at Kealakekua(?) Beach south of Kona with a million others
but saw a lot of beatiful fish, and once you're under water it is just
you and the sea creatures. Another good place is Spencer beach near
Kawalhae

Visited Parker ranch in Kamuela (Waimea) - Walked up to the top of
Waipio Valley, ask a local where to turn for the trail.

And then after all those magnificent places there is ... Maui!

We stayed at a condo in Ma'alaea - nice a quiet with 4(?) miles of
open beach - access to the charters at Ma'alaea harbor if you wanted
to dive. With a car everything is close, it is a small island. Drove
the (narrow!!!) Hana Highway - lots of photo ops and hiking trails -
watched spectacular surfers at Hanomanu(?) Bay - just follow a map of
the road (lots a' free maps in the visitor's guides).

Snorkeled at Ahihi Beach (not really a beach) just a rocky entrance
beside a narrow public road - but worth it - there were scuba people
there too. Lots of beatiful sites, Iao needle (try to arrive before
the tourist busses), Whale watching from the scenic lookouts and from
our condo balcony. But when they say this kind of watching they mean
- you see evidence of whales; spouts, splashes, and maybe if you are
lucky a fin or tail for a second. But it was fun.

Hope that helps - and I am just coming down from a three week high.

Cheers

(Oh yeah, and there is two feet of snow in my driveway and it is -4F
tonight - Augh!)

So, I'm going to watch "LOST" and dream about the Pali Valley! :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old January 27th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Marior

"eeo" wrote in message

"Marior" wrote in message

So it sounds like we agree. Sorry for stepping in like I did but your
original info on the Haleakala ride just sounded incomplete to me and I
thought people should be also very aware of the drawbacks and what

they're
getting into. No offence intended. Usenet to me is best used as a

getting
the real goods info source, not the touristy everythings great and

wonderful
stuff you get elsewhere. FTR I think Hawaii is mostly great and

wonderful
just not this cycle trip.

Hawaii can be a wonderful vacation destination. But not if what you want

do is bicycle. Actually, the Big Isle would be good but please don't

visit
Oahu, or any of the other Isles if that's what you want to do on your
vacation.

Nah, bicycling isn't so big to me that I have to do it. I had a great time
and had no intent to bicycle while in Hawaii at all. Just figured I'd take
the Haleakala trip once I'd heard about it.

[...]

No doubt.

Welcome to Hawaii. They can have the strangest
problem to solve. Personally, I think they should shut the entire road

down
between 3am-9am to anyone but liscensed tour operators. The problem is

too
much traffic. Fine, get rid of all the clueless tourists behind the

wheel.
If you want to see the sun rise from the Haleakala summit, then you will
have to be part of a guided tour. And that's that. It doesn't sound like
to much to ask in order to keep the event accessible for everyone. Does

it?

Not sure I agree. Losing the cycle tour is the right way to go as that
represents just a very small portion of the overall users. They shouldn't
have ever gone with the Haleakala cycle tour in the 1st place. Somebody
thought it was a good idea and it goes from there. sometimes it
shouldn't... btw if you got rid of all the clueless tourists behind the
wheel who would be left? G Hawaii's bad on drivers. SO much to see and
so distracting. Its far better being a passenger but nobody wants to do the
driving and everybody wants to look at the beautiful scenery.

Just wondering if you know whether this is also due to how many

accidents
have occurred.

But, the views are incredible.

Undeniably. Only thing better for me there was in NaPali coastline in

Kauai
or Hanelei bay or Hana or etc. I'm a hiker too and I live in a good

place
for it. I loved that I didn't have to worry about bears or other large
carnivores in Hawaii. Just watch your step and enjoy the scenery.

Isn't the Na Pali Coast fabulous?

Fantastic. Undescribably beautiful valleys, cliff faces of which you're a
little speck somewhere on the mountain looking down on the expanse of
sublimely blue endless ocean meeting sky. Hard trail though and people
should be prepared as the trail surface erodes drastically with rain. What
with the slippery surface and cliffs going straight down and seeing the
breakers more than 1000 feet below not always for the timid at heart. My
wife was unnerved at times and did the four legged backcrawl through some of
the hardest areas. Her clothes were neatly covered in Kauai natural ochre
pigment after that. I loved the whole island of Kauai. Its my favorite.

Actually, the Wife and I have our tenth
wedding anniversary coming up. We are planning on spending it by paddling
our kayaks along the Na Pali Coast. In theory, it will be an easy two-day
trip, but we've never camped off our kayaks before. We've been spending a
lot of time planning this one. I've spent enough time paddling about

these
Islands to know that nothing will go according to plan but it still should
be a "trip of a lifetime."

That sounds fantastic. Hope you have a great time and what a wonderful
thing to do on your anniversary. Sounds like we share a sense of what we
like to do on special occasions. Heres a place not too far away from where I
live that I try to get to on my birthday.

http://www.pigseye.com/mc/canada/edith_cavell.htm

Old January 28th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Todd H.

First I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread--you all
were a big help!

Unfortunately economics got involved and I cut my vacation back and
simplified a bit. I was able to find a package that dropped me on
Maui for 10 days at the Ritz Carlton including airfare from Chicago
for less than $4k total for 2. Comparing with other hotels and even
remotely as nice places, I couldn't muster a lower number.

Next time I'll look into some of the condos more--they seem to be the
best bang for the buck in general. Something tells me this won't be
my only trip to the Hawaiian islands. :-)

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Old January 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Marior

"Todd H." wrote in message

First I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread--you all
were a big help!

Unfortunately economics got involved and I cut my vacation back and
simplified a bit. I was able to find a package that dropped me on
Maui for 10 days at the Ritz Carlton including airfare from Chicago
for less than $4k total for 2. Comparing with other hotels and even
remotely as nice places, I couldn't muster a lower number.

Next time I'll look into some of the condos more--they seem to be the
best bang for the buck in general. Something tells me this won't be
my only trip to the Hawaiian islands. :-)

Just curious and please don't take this the wrong way but I can't help but
wonder why you would cut down length of stay due to economics and ... you're
staying at the Ritz Carlton? IMHO the point of going is * just being* in
Hawaii and not Chicago I'd stay in a tent if it was the only way I could
afford it. FTR 4K Canadian has got me 3 weeks in Hawaii with reasonable
accomodation on 3 islands and airfare and interisland passes. I'm in
Edmonton and believe me I'd rather be there longer than here!
10days is great but why not maximize Time instead of 5star next time?