Desert - LA

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
paddy_nyr

Default Desert - LA

While I'm in Los Angeles I'd like to take a ride out to see the desert could
someone recommend where to go?

Thanks

Old May 30th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On May 30, 12:21 pm, "paddy_nyr" wrote:
While I'm in Los Angeles I'd like to take a ride out to see the desert could
someone recommend where to go?

Thanks

Go east young man, go east. You pretty much has to go all the way to
the Palm Springs area to see desert. There is a good desert museum in
Palm Springs.

Old May 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On May 30, 12:21 pm, "paddy_nyr" wrote:
While I'm in Los Angeles I'd like to take a ride out to see the desert could
someone recommend where to go?

Thanks

Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley are referred to in L.A. as the
Low Desert. There is even a section of I-10 east of Indio, CA which
is below sea level.

There are other deserts. The Antelope Valley, which includes
northeastern L.A. County, and the Mojave Desert, which includes parts
of San Bernardino County and eastern Kern County are referred to as
the High Desert. The two desert areas (High & Low) are often hotter
than L.A, but are reported separately on local TV newscasts.

One neat thing to see in the Palm Springs area is the Aerial Tramway;
it goes from the foothills of the Coachella Valley northwest of Palm
Springs to Mt. San Jacinto at 8500 feet, an elevation gain of over a
mile. Be sure to bring a jacket; it gets cold at the top. See
http://www.pstramway.com/ for more information.

Old May 31st, 2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
zbenhalim

On May 30, 12:21 pm, "paddy_nyr" wrote:
While I'm in Los Angeles I'd like to take a ride out to see the desert could
someone recommend where to go?

Thanks

Joshua Tree National Park, 2-3 hours east of LA. http://www.nps.gov/jotr

Beware, it's already over 100 degrees there.

Zeyd

Old May 31st, 2007, 05:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

Understand that the desert near LA isn't the Sahara. The high desert
toward the east is dry & interesting but not sand dunes. Strangely the
best sand dunes are central Colorado at the National Park.

Old May 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 31 May 2007 00:26:37 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

Understand that the desert near LA isn't the Sahara. The high desert
toward the east is dry & interesting but not sand dunes. Strangely the
best sand dunes are central Colorado at the National Park.

For great dunes I would vote for California's Imperial County.

Old June 6th, 2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Zebra24601

wrote:
Understand that the desert near LA isn't the Sahara. The high desert
toward the east is dry & interesting but not sand dunes. Strangely the
best sand dunes are central Colorado at the National Park.

For great dunes I would vote for California's Imperial County.

There are also big dunes in the Mojave National Preserve: www.nps.gov/moja

No dunes, but lots of rocks and (surprise) joshua trees in Joshua Tree
National Park: www.nps.gov/jotr

Dunes and desolate views at Death Valley National Park: www.nps.gov/deva

Joshua Tree is an easy day trip from Los Angeles (well, easy if you
don't mind driving five or six hours in a day to get there and back,
plus your driving while you're there!). Mojave and Death Valley are
more of an overnight (or longer) trip. A 90-minute or so diversion to
or from Joshua Tree is Oak Glen. Massive and tastey apple pies there!