Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe 4 days trip

Old June 10th, 2008, 07:37 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
THM

Default Osaka/Kyoto/Kobe 4 days trip

Hi folks,
just wanna gather some info about Japan as I have no idea.
I'll be there in late August. What kind of accomodation do you
recommend travelling as a couple?
What are must see in the area and what to do for nightlife?

Thx
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl[_3_]

"THM" wrote in message
Hi folks,
just wanna gather some info about Japan as I have no idea.
I'll be there in late August. What kind of accomodation do you
recommend travelling as a couple?
What are must see in the area and what to do for nightlife?

Tell us what you are interested in ... that might help folks here give you
advice and recommendations.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article 22a2daef-49c6-4f2d-8f1c-bede3a09a607
@y38g2000hsy.googlegroups.com, THM says...
Hi folks,
just wanna gather some info about Japan as I have no idea.
I'll be there in late August. What kind of accomodation do you
recommend travelling as a couple?
What are must see in the area and what to do for nightlife?

See my Japan travelogue:
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Japan/2007/

You didn't mention what your budget is, but essentially there is decent
accomodation in hotels starting at 6000-8000 yen/night. You can however
easily spend more than that.

August should be very hot.

I would skip Osaka and Kobe and instead focus on Kyoto and Nara. You
might spend half a day or so in Osaka however. The castle in Himeji is
nice (doable as a day trip from Kyoto by shinkansen).
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John W.[_2_]

On Jun 10, 1:37*am, THM wrote:
Hi folks,
just wanna gather some info about Japan as I have no idea.
I'll be there in late August. What kind of accomodation do you
recommend travelling as a couple?
What are must see in the area and what to do for nightlife?

Will you stay in Kobe, Osaka, or Kyoto? Kobe is probably the 'slowest'
of the three, nightlife-wise. Lots of great restaurants and you can
get some good deals on hotels. Osaka has probably the best nightlife
in the area; the only problem is that the nightlife is generally in
the Namba/Shinsaibashi area; that's a few subway stops away from Osaka
station, and you'll most likely be traveling to/from Osaka at the key
rush hour times.

The most common place to stay in the region is Kyoto; that's where
most of the key cultural sights are. The nightlife isn't too bad in
Kyoto (a lot depends on what you're looking for), and you have ample
restaurants to eat at. The bonus is that you can walk or take a bus to
just about anyplace you want to go.

John W.
Old June 11th, 2008, 06:44 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
THM

Hey guys,
thx for your thoughts.
I guess I will stay in Kyoto, its sounds like there is a lot more to
do than in Osaka.
As I will stay 4 days I think I will spend my first day in Kyoto, the
second in Nara, and one in Osaka. About the last day I am not
sure..........is it worth going to Hiroshima or is it better to go to
Himeji.
I am much of an guy, who likes nature and historical stuff, besides
that I am around with my girl, so is there anything nice to do or a
must do as a couple?

Thx for the support.
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
John W.[_2_]

On Jun 11, 12:44*am, THM wrote:
Hey guys,
thx for your thoughts.
I guess I will stay in Kyoto, its sounds like there is a lot more to
do than in Osaka.
As I will stay 4 days I think I will spend my first day in Kyoto, the
second in Nara, and one in Osaka. About the last day I am not
sure..........is it worth going to Hiroshima or is it better to go to
Himeji.
I am much of an guy, who likes nature and historical stuff, besides
that I am around with my girl, so is there anything nice to do or a
must do as a couple?

If you only have four days, I'd do the first two in Kyoto, the third
in Himeji; I suggest seeing the Mt. Shosha first (it's easier to take
the bus from the station rather than figure out which bus stop to go
to at the castle), then the castle, ending with Kokoen (a nice garden
next to the castle; you can get a combined entry with the castle that
discounts the cost a bit). If you start early you should be done with
all of this by 1 or 2. Then head to Osaka on your way back; there's no
need to take the Shinkansen between Himeji and Osaka, and I find the
non-shinkansen JR track has a more interesting route (take the Shin
Kaisoku). That leaves you a fourth day to do Nara.

John W.