How Can I Avoid This?

Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

Default How Can I Avoid This?

Mark plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/25/2010 11:41 AM:
I am thinking about a cruise, I will be flying to FLL
from my airstrip on my estate. I am a pilot.

I'm not ant-gay (both ways) but would prefer not to be harassed as
I most usually am by gays on cruises (and elsewhere).

I am a Renaissance Man. I'm still attempting things people
think are impossible. I'm a dichotomy, shoot em dead
brainbell jangler, a soft diamond, a militaristic saint,
and always a very wise fool...If anything I'm a Zena

Can a cruise line book me on one of these and not tell me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Ampu8jxP8

SPAM from the delusional. I'm gay and trust, me you nut job, I wouldn't
hit on you even if we were shipwrecked on a desert island! I'd rather
sleep alone then have anything to do with you.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

View My Web Pages: http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951
My Shutterfly Page http://photosbybrianmk.shutterfly.com/

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

ray plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/25/2010 8:00 PM:
George Leppla wrote:
FWIW.... most "gay cruises" are whole ship charters. You have to
book with the company doing the charter and can't "accidentally" book
onto one of these. You can't even book it directly with the cruise line.

There are many cruises that have smaller groups of GLBT people.
Chances are you have probably been on a cruise with a group like this
and weren't aware of it.

I can't remember which cruise we were on but we kept seeing "Meeting
of Friends of Dorothy" in the daily newsletter. Since neither my wife
nor myself had ever heard of them, we wandered by the library to try
to figure out what the group was and it then became exceedingly clear
to us who they were. You should have seen my wife's face! lol

Dorothy Wilson was Bill Wilson's wife and very supportive of all
recovering alcoholics. Bill Wilson was one of the founding members of
Alcoholics Anonymous. Friends of Dorothy is an AA meeting for
GayLesbianBisexualTransgendered people in recovery. It is also open to
anyone in AA in need of a meeting. Friends of Bill and Dr. Bob(?) is a
reference to an AA meeting without any special interest.

--
________

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Brian plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/26/2010 11:35 PM:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:59:08 +0000,
wrote:

My wife and I have been on 5 or 6 cruises in the last 10 years and I
seem to recall there was a "Friends of Dorothy" meeting on every one, so
yours was not a special situation.

We were on a cruise and there was a "Friends of" a male name that I
forget. I had wondered about that. Is that the reverse of the "Friends
of Dorothy"?

Friends of Bill and Dr. Bob is an AA meeting open to AA members and
anyone who thinks they may have a drinking problem. Friends of Dorothy
is a reference to Bill's wife who was supportive of all recovering
alcoholics. A Friends of Dorothy meeting is a special interest AA
meeting for Gay Lesbiian etc but no AA member in need of a meeting will
be turned away.

--
________

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Kurt Ullman plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/27/2010
7:29 AM:
In ,
wrote:

If it was "Friends of Bill W", this was a meeting place for Alcoholics
Anonymous, named after Bill Wilson, co-founder of the organization.

We were on a cruise the week after the Colts won their first
Superbowl as an Indy team (the next is a couple weeks away). A couple of
the wags in our group decided to have a "Friends of Peyton M" group. It
was well attended. (g).

I take it then this was a 12-Step Recovery meeting for Superbowl Addicts?
Step 1, We admitted we were powerless over Superbowl, that our lives had
become unmanageable.

Such a recovery meeting would probably be more effective if held when
Superbowl games were being aired in a room with no means of seeing or
hearing a Superbowl game. The whole concept of a Friends of meeting is
for group support and sharing courage, strength and experience in
recovering from Superbowl abuse by refraining from watching, discussing,
or getting any information about the Superbowl.

I have heard that this addiction is harder to kick then heroin.

--
________

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Carol Eskra plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/27/2010
12:50 PM:
I stayed at a hotel in Fairbanks Alaska and on the way to have a drink I
passed a sign that said "friends of Bill." All of a sudden a group of
people came running into the bar and a man sat down next to me and
mentioned his friends of Bill meeting just let out. I told him I didn't
think you were allowed to drink when attending these meetings. His
response was "we're not supposed to drink but we all do."

Very funny, ha! You clearly have no insight of what it means to be in
recovery from alcoholism. Not drinking is not something imposed by a
"not supposed to" rather it is a choice of "just for today I will not
drink" The group does what one alcoholic could not do. As a group we
help each other maintain sobriety.

--
________

Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Brian plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 1/28/2010 9:38 PM:
On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:50:05 -0500, (Carol Eskra)
wrote:

I stayed at a hotel in Fairbanks Alaska and on the way to have a drink I
passed a sign that said "friends of Bill." All of a sudden a group of
people came running into the bar and a man sat down next to me and
mentioned his friends of Bill meeting just let out. I told him I didn't
think you were allowed to drink when attending these meetings. His
response was "we're not supposed to drink but we all do."

That seems dangerous.

This was a poor and insensitive attempt by Carol at humor. If she know
anything about AA and recovery from alcohol abuse...she'd see that is
has nothing to do with an externally imposed "not supposed to". The
group is the strength of each of it's members and it's about choice. To
make a choice to not drink forever is unobtainable. But to choose,
"just for today, I will not drink" or for some "just for this minute I
will not drink" is what helps us stay sober.

--
________

Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Brian K wrote:

anyone who thinks they may have a drinking problem. Friends of Dorothy
is a reference to Bill's wife who was supportive of all recovering
alcoholics.

Wikipedia suggests otherwise:
In gay slang, a "friend of Dorothy" (occasionally abbreviated FOD) is a
term for a gay man. Most commonly it is stated that "friend of Dorothy"
refers to the film The Wizard of Oz because Judy Garland, who starred as
the main character Dorothy, is a gay icon. In the film, Dorothy is
accepting of those who are different. For example the "gentle lion"
living a lie, "I'm afraid there's no denyin', I'm just a dandy
lion."[4][5]
Others claim that the phrase refers to celebrated humorist and critic
Dorothy Parker, who included some gay men in her famous social circle.

BTW: Bill W's wife was named Lois.
Nice story, though.

--
I get off on '57 Chevys