Fuel Charge

Old February 26th, 2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
polly-wanna-cracker

Default Fuel Charge

I would notbuythe tank of gas. The only way this is economically feasible
is if you return the car out of gas. Otherwise, whatever is in the tank
gets sold again to the next renter. It's a sweet deal for the company and
you get the bill. So fill it up on your way back. You won't have to cap
it, just fill it until the needle touches the F on your fuel gauge.

I would not recommend this...I am a Station Manager for a car rental
company and all of our vehicles are refueled before they are rented
again. When our service agents clean each vehicle they check to make
sure each and every car is topped off and are required to keep a fuel
log. If you return the vehicle and it is not completely full expect
to see an refueling charge on your credit card...even if it is only 2
gallons and the needle is on F. Would you want to be the next renter
of a vehicle if we did not top off the gas tank after each rental?

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_1_]

On 25 Feb 2007 16:56:04 -0800, "polly-wanna-cracker"
wrote:

...I am a Station Manager for a car rental
company and all of our vehicles are refueled before they are rented
again. When our service agents clean each vehicle they check to make
sure each and every car is topped off and are required to keep a fuel
log. If you return the vehicle and it is not completely full expect
to see an refueling charge on your credit card...even if it is only 2
gallons and the needle is on F. Would you want to be the next renter
of a vehicle if we did not top off the gas tank after each rental?

The rental cars I've picked up in the last two years have *rarely*
been full. One, from Alamo, was barely above 3/4 tank. i figure the
rental companies have tumbled to the fact that most people aren't
going to check before they drive off, and realize the futility of
returning to complain once they have left the rental site.

-- Larry

Old February 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

polly-wanna-cracker wrote:

I would not recommend this...I am a Station Manager for a car rental
company and all of our vehicles are refueled before they are rented
again. When our service agents clean each vehicle they check to make
sure each and every car is topped off and are required to keep a fuel
log. If you return the vehicle and it is not completely full expect
to see an refueling charge on your credit card...even if it is only 2
gallons and the needle is on F. Would you want to be the next renter
of a vehicle if we did not top off the gas tank after each rental?

Not completely full?? Give me a break. It is a scam to screw a few more
dollars out of your customers. Unless things have changed recently, the
places that gas up their own vehicles use highly inflated prices for their
gas, so I always fill up on the way back to the car rental office. Bear in
mind that the majority of car renters are visitors and may not know their
way around and likely aren't aware of the closest gas stations. A few
years ago I rented a car in German and returned it at Charles deGualle in
Paris. I stopped for fuel as we approached Paris. It was a diesel powered
Gulf that got incredible mileage. It was maybe 20 miles to the airport from
there. When my credit card statement came in I saw that Avis had charged me
$75 for fuel, along with about $250 in other charges.

To answer your question, when I pick up a car I don't expect to have to
make a stop for gas. I am not going to quibble about a gallon or two. But
screw me on a refuelling charge and you won't be getting any more business
from me.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill Burk

I have been a victim of this with Hertz the last two rentals. In San
Antonio, we filled up 10 miles north of the airport before checking in.
Hertz charged my credit card $110 (!) to refill it. In Phoenix, we refilled
35 miles from Sky Harbor. Hertz charged my credit card $49 for the refill.
Both in 2006.

I called Hertz on the San Antonio robbery and the woman non-chalantly told
me: "OK, we'll credit it back to your card," and did. No arguments. No
proof asked for. In Phoenix, I had to complain to my credit card people and
after that, Hertz refunded full amount.

Lesson learned: Never rent from Hertz again.

******************
Bill E. Burk
[Remove "NOSP" from my e-mail address]

Old February 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Bill Burk wrote:

I have been a victim of this with Hertz the last two rentals. In San
Antonio, we filled up 10 miles north of the airport before checking in.
Hertz charged my credit card $110 (!) to refill it. In Phoenix, we refilled
35 miles from Sky Harbor. Hertz charged my credit card $49 for the refill.
Both in 2006.

I called Hertz on the San Antonio robbery and the woman non-chalantly told
me: "OK, we'll credit it back to your card," and did. No arguments. No
proof asked for. In Phoenix, I had to complain to my credit card people and
after that, Hertz refunded full amount.

Lesson learned: Never rent from Hertz again.

I guess the lesson learned is to watch your credit card statements for
inappropriate charges when renting cars. My last rental was with Hertz
because Avis had gouged me in France. I didn't have any problem with Hertz,
but it looks as if this is a way to fleece the unwary customers, adding
outrageous and unwarranted refuelling charges. In my case it was about $75
for what would have been perhaps 2 litres of diesel to get form the the gas
station to the airport to return the car..... and where do you go to gas up
near a strange airport? You grab on on the way that is reasonably close.

How convenient that they readily drop the charge when people notice it and
complain.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD

In message Dave Smith
wrote:

How convenient that they readily drop the charge when people notice it and
complain.

Reduces the odds of a class action law suit...
--
Insert something clever here.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Dave Smith" wrote:
A few years ago I rented a car in Germany and returned it at
Charles deGualle in Paris. I stopped for fuel as we approached
Paris. It was a diesel powered Gulf that got incredible mileage.
It was maybe 20 miles to the airport from there.

When I rented a car in Paris, I had a devil of a time trying to read
the gas guage and thought it needed gas when it was full, and then
when returning it to the train station, I tried getting directions to a
nearby gas station but it was like they were speaking a foreign
language (my French was not up to par). I found one two blocks
away, and there were no bogus charges.

I just know that someone's gonna say, "What part of the U.S. or
Canada was that in? :-) =R=

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Rog'" wrote in message

When I rented a car in Paris, I had a devil of a time trying to read
the gas guage and thought it needed gas when it was full, and then
when returning it to the train station, I tried getting directions to a
nearby gas station but it was like they were speaking a foreign
language (my French was not up to par). I found one two blocks
away, and there were no bogus charges.

I just know that someone's gonna say, "What part of the U.S. or
Canada was that in? :-) =R=

Obvious. Paris, Texas...where the folks do talk kinda funny. But it is
English they are speaking...no wonder your French - no matter how good or
bad - was not understood.