Hiati

Old January 21st, 2010, 10:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

Default Hiati

Surfer E2468 wrote:
I think it is very humane to help haiti,and i feel for the people,but
with all the help they are getting,why does this country not do more for
our poor homeless people that are suffering and cannot afford health
care,and the children that are waiting in hopes of being adopted here.
The old adage is charity begins at home . I am sure there will be some
very nasty remarks made about this post.

You won't get any from me. I think the US is the richest and most
generous nation in the world and when trouble like this happens, I am
glad and proud that we as a country can take the lead in providing some
relief to people in need.

And at the same time, I wonder where our priorities are when we spend
so much time and money fixing other people's problems while we just
argue about how to fix our own. How do we become the policeman, fireman
and doctor to the world while we have problems here?

I don't know the answer.... probably never will.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Blog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Barbara Brown

I like the fact that we are providing aid when it comes from the US
citizens as donations. I don't like the heat we are getting because aid
is not getting there fast enough or it's not organized. We weren't even
first on the ground, the Chinese were. Where is Haiti's government?
Haven't seen anything about them on the news. They should all be thrown
out of office and let some other country take over (but not us).

I also don't think our government should spend so much of OUR money
helping them when they can't even agree on a health care bill for us. I
don't understand why the Republicans don't want health care? Are they
all rich and don't need it? Do they all have jobs?

On 1/21/2010 3:47 PM, Surfer E2468 wrote:
I think it is very humane to help haiti,and i feel for the people,but
with all the help they are getting,why does this country not do more for
our poor homeless people that are suffering and cannot afford health
care,and the children that are waiting in hopes of being adopted here.
The old adage is charity begins at home . I am sure there will be some
very nasty remarks made about this post.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Barbara Brown wrote:

I like the fact that we are providing aid when it comes from the US
citizens as donations. I don't like the heat we are getting because aid
is not getting there fast enough or it's not organized. We weren't even
first on the ground, the Chinese were. Where is Haiti's government?
Haven't seen anything about them on the news. They should all be thrown
out of office and let some other country take over (but not us).

This is, despite the conniptions of news media and others, evolving
just about like every other major disaster. It takes time to move things
around, get people in place, etc. The US disaster response plans are all
based on the localities (or the individual) taking care of themselves
until the FEMA calvary arrives THREE days later. You take the basket
case that is Haiti on a good day and the response has been rather swift.
I get a kick out of the media and International response types who have
been complaining about the US landing too many troops instead of relief
supplies but then discuss how hard it is to get relief supplies to where
they are needed because there isn't enough security for the
International Response types to feel safe. Well, Duh.

I also don't think our government should spend so much of OUR money
helping them when they can't even agree on a health care bill for us. I
don't understand why the Republicans don't want health care? Are they
all rich and don't need it? Do they all have jobs?

I am not quite clear on the connection between helping Haiti and
healthcare. I would also point out that at least as many Dems have had
concerns about the healthcare bill as theGOP types.

--
To find that place where the rats don't race
and the phones don't ring at all.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Barbara Brown" wrote in message

I also don't think our government should spend so much of OUR money
helping them when they can't even agree on a health care bill for us. I
don't understand why the Republicans don't want health care? Are they all
rich and don't need it? Do they all have jobs?

Yes... and they get FREE medical from the federal govt. for life. And the
insurance companies are paying them a lot of money to kill the concept.
They simply don't care about any Americans who might need healthcare, even
their own constituents. It's all about money and not letting any healthcare
plan succeed. They did a great job of poisoning people minds against the
plan... but the minds they poisoned are those who DO have healthcare, like
the seniors with Medicare. The millions of us who are under 65 and have no
jobs... they simply don't care about us what so ever.

--Tom

Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Barbara Brown" wrote in message
I like the fact that we are providing aid when it comes from the US
citizens as donations. I don't like the heat we are getting because aid is
not getting there fast enough or it's not organized. We weren't even first
on the ground, the Chinese were. Where is Haiti's government? Haven't seen
anything about them on the news. They should all be thrown out of office
and let some other country take over (but not us).

I also don't think our government should spend so much of OUR money
helping them when they can't even agree on a health care bill for us. I
don't understand why the Republicans don't want health care? Are they all
rich and don't need it? Do they all have jobs?

Barbara, it is not that the Republicans don't want health care, it is that
they have not even been included in putting together a health care bill. Not
ONE was included in putting it together. Republicans and Independents want
health care but without the sweet deals being made behind closed doors and
the hurry to ram it down our throats so that Obama can make history. No one
even really even knows what is in the health care bill. Between the House
and Senate, there are over 2000 pages!
Obama, who repeatedly promised change with complete transparency is
meeting behind closed doors with Pelosi and Reid making decisions and buying
votes to pass a health care bill that even some Democrat congressmen are now
saying that they do not want.

a) behind closed door meetings with unions Obama exempted the unions from
paying taxes on their Cadillac Insurance Plans until 2017 and then they will
pay a lower rate of tax than the rest of us...The unions supported him very
strongly in his election to office and this is the way he gets their support
for the health care bill.
(b) They gave Democrat senator from Louisiana $300 million dollars for her
state for her vote for the health care bill the
way it is..
(c) bought the one vote needed for the bill to pass to committee by
promising him that his state would never have to pay Medicaid while all the
rest of the states would continue paying it.(Democrat Senator Nelson of
Nebraska)
(d) promising Democrat Senator Nelson from Florida that his constituents
would be able to receive Medicare Advantage while the rest of the country
will receive regular Medicare.
(e) promising in eight of his election speeches that C-Span would publicly
show all congressional procedures and health care discussions. Instead they
are being held secretly behind closed doors.

We have 10.1 %unemployment...17% if you include the part time (who really
want full time) and those who have just plain given up....Our next door
neighbor told us that he lost his job New Year Eve Day because of
downsizing. He is the second person we know to lose a job last year.

2.Our national debt has been quadrupled by the Obama's administration. His
Tarp, stimulus package, bailing out banks and auto companies and outrageous
spending has mortgaged our children and grandchildren and has not helped the
economy. The taxes on our retirement pensions have increased this month.

3.Small businesses are closing their doors...On the main street to get to
our home, there have been five that have closed...a dry cleaning business, a
small garage, shoe store and two restaurants in the past two months. Our
mechanic, who
owns his own garage, told my husband last week that he had to let two of his
mechanics go because he could not afford to keep them. Obama's stimulus
package has done nothing to help small business.

Obama is charismatic, likeable and quite a speech maker with his handy
teleprompter...but watch out, the people
are slowly seeing through it all. New Jersey and Virginia had state
elections a few weeks ago...despite Obama
going 4-5 times to support his candidates there, both states voted in
Republicans. In Massachusetts, which has
three times as many Democrats as Republicans, and is one of the most solid
Democrat states in the country, the
senate seat once held by Ted Kennedy,(D) for 44 years....the people let
Obama and congress know how unhappy they are with their policies and voted
in Scott Brown, a Republican. Perhaps now we will hopefully see a
bi-partisan health care bill put together that we can understand and will
benefit everyone and not be half as costly as the one they have now that
includes sweet deals and pay-offs.

--Jean

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Tom K" wrote:

Yes... and they get FREE medical from the federal govt. for life. And the
insurance companies are paying them a lot of money to kill the concept.

They get free medical care from Government hospitals (like VA,
Bethesda Navy Hospital). The regular government employees get a plain
vanilla group policy from an insurance company that is so cheap largely
because the government doesn't have to worry about money so they can pay
a much larger part of the larger premium related to really nice
policies. It ain't some conspiracy, it is just a REALLY big group and a
REALLY big employer subsidy.

They simply don't care about any Americans who might need healthcare, even
their own constituents. It's all about money and not letting any healthcare
plan succeed. They did a great job of poisoning people minds against the
plan... but the minds they poisoned are those who DO have healthcare, like
the seniors with Medicare. The millions of us who are under 65 and have no
jobs... they simply don't care about us what so ever.

Yeah the government-run program (as I mentioned the employees plan is
NOT government run) is going bankrupt, has so many holes in coverage
that many people buy supplemental insurance from private insurance
programs such as AARP, and pays so little that more and more physicians
are refusing to treat Mcare patients. Whats not to love?

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

Yeah the government-run program (as I mentioned the employees plan is
NOT government run) is going bankrupt, has so many holes in coverage
that many people buy supplemental insurance from private insurance
programs such as AARP, and pays so little that more and more physicians
are refusing to treat Mcare patients. Whats not to love?

What's not to love? Not having ANY medical insurance because you're not
working, can't afford it, etc.

A govt. run program with a few holes sure beats having nothing.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Tom K" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message

Yeah the government-run program (as I mentioned the employees plan is
NOT government run) is going bankrupt, has so many holes in coverage
that many people buy supplemental insurance from private insurance
programs such as AARP, and pays so little that more and more physicians
are refusing to treat Mcare patients. Whats not to love?

What's not to love? Not having ANY medical insurance because you're not
working, can't afford it, etc.

A govt. run program with a few holes sure beats having nothing.

Unless of course you can't get a doc to talk to you. This is an
ongoing problem with MCare where for the last 30+ years which has gotten
worse.
The idea that a govenment run program is suddenly gonna bring up
Healthcare Nirvana is not supported by experience in the US (or for that
manner the rest of the world).
Even the CBO said that both plans before Congress would leave a
minimum of 24 and 18 million people w/o healthcare. And that was,
according to my cursory reading of the report, assuming that the
increased coverage requirements and taxes on drugs, devices, etc., was
not passed on to consumers. There is a whole line of studies showing
that for every y dollars of new required coverage,x people lose their
insurance. Congress was attempting to repeal laws of economics.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Even the CBO said that both plans before Congress would leave a
minimum of 24 and 18 million people w/o healthcare.

How many are without healthcare now?

Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
"Tom K" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
Even the CBO said that both plans before Congress would leave a
minimum of 24 and 18 million people w/o healthcare.

How many are without healthcare now?

Depends on how you count. Some look at those w/o healthcare at any time
during the year (like for a month or two when you change jobs). Others
for longer terms (6 months seems to be popular). NONE seem to control
for those who are vountarily w/o coverage (like the friend of one of my
kids who works for the city, has access to a good insurance program, but
decides he'd rather spend his money on payments for his new Mustang.
According to the United States Census Bureau, in 2008 there were
46.3 million people in the US (15.4% of the population) who were without
health insurance for at least part of that year. This, IIRC, is in the
at any time camp and i don't think this is relevant to the debate since
it includes many who will have insurance soon. I like the 6 months as
chronic.