Laptop computers

Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Fred Kay

Default Laptop computers

How about Netbooks? Or the forthcoming apple tablet? Fred

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Fred Kay" wrote in message
How about Netbooks? Or the forthcoming apple tablet? Fred

The applet tablet is probably BIG bucks.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

"Tom K" wrote:

The applet tablet is probably BIG bucks.

You get more for your bucks with Apple.

It could be the perfect connection device to take on a cruise or other
travel. I could almost get by with an iPhone and no laptop already. I
am looking forward to see what they announce next week.

--
Charles
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

Well, we have now established that the iPad is $499 to $849.
Competitive prcies with other tablets. Is it a Windblows tablet
killer? Probably not. Is it a netbook killer? Quite possible. The
problem is that it appears to be ARM based rather than Intel, so
software built for X won't run on it. But, if it is ARM, and it also
appears to be very close to the iPhone OS, there are (as of RIGHT NOW)
149,219 apps for it. A good code jockey cn write one a week. I could
probably get one out every couple of months, and I haven't written
"real" code in years.

Almost all the 149,219 iPhone apps will run on the iPad. It does
everything I need to do when traveling on a cruise or other travel and
what I do with my laptop when sitting on my couch at home. Plus it will
be an e-book reader. The pricing is a pleasant surprise to me. I was
expecting $999. So I will be getting one. Have to decide how much
memory and whether to get the Wi-Fi only version or the Wi-Fi plus 3G
version. I got a few months to decide which.

--
Charles
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Stu
wrote:

Memory is cheap so go 8gig. As for the internet, go wi-fi plus 3g
version, it gives you the wi-fi and if all else fails a 3g broadband
hookup.

The minimum it comes with is 16 gig. They have 16, 32, or 64. Anyhow I
have a few months to decide before they start shipping. Likely I will
get the 3G since the 3G plans are optional and not on contract. You can
buy a month and then cancel. Just buy it when you need it.

--
Charles
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
BikeRider50

Charles wrote:
In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

[...]

New adoptee.

Ipad has no camera, no ability to run Flash (so most web apps won't
work), a keyboard that you can't type well on, no replaceable battery,
no USB port, no way to multitask, too big to stick in a pocket, too
delicate a screen and a way too small amount of memory and storage.
Stupid.
It won't replace a laptop or netbook and it can't replace a phone. It's
just a large sized Itouch.
No way it sells well, except to geeks with more money than brains.
Old January 30th, 2010, 06:38 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Almost all the 149,219 iPhone apps will run on the iPad. It does
everything I need to do when traveling on a cruise or other travel and
what I do with my laptop when sitting on my couch at home. Plus it will
be an e-book reader. The pricing is a pleasant surprise to me. I was
expecting $999.

Translation.... if they had a product that they expected to be VERY HOT....
they'd be pricing it much higher. Apple always prices high. Sounds like
maybe they're trying to come up with a pricing plan to save what they
anticipate will be a bit of a loser product. They probably put a lot of
money into this product, and need to recoup some of it, even if it's not the
hot item of the year.

--Tom

Old January 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Translation.... if they had a product that they expected to be VERY HOT....
they'd be pricing it much higher. Apple always prices high. Sounds like
maybe they're trying to come up with a pricing plan to save what they
anticipate will be a bit of a loser product. They probably put a lot of
money into this product, and need to recoup some of it, even if it's not the
hot item of the year.

Probably because is a new product category. And because they intend to
recoup some on selling content, applications, e-books, etc. With 30
billion in the bank and no debt I don't think they need to recoup any
money they put into the product. And much of the tech was already
developed for the iPhone and iTouch. I think because of the 30 billion
they can put this out and give it time. If it bombs the company is in
little danger, like say Royal Caribbean, which has loads of debt would
be if they could not sell cabins on Oasis and Allure of the Seas.

--
Charles
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Lloyd Parsons

In article ,
"Tom K" wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Almost all the 149,219 iPhone apps will run on the iPad. It does
everything I need to do when traveling on a cruise or other travel and
what I do with my laptop when sitting on my couch at home. Plus it will
be an e-book reader. The pricing is a pleasant surprise to me. I was
expecting $999.

Translation.... if they had a product that they expected to be VERY HOT....
they'd be pricing it much higher. Apple always prices high. Sounds like
maybe they're trying to come up with a pricing plan to save what they
anticipate will be a bit of a loser product. They probably put a lot of
money into this product, and need to recoup some of it, even if it's not the
hot item of the year.

--Tom

If you look at it for what it is, the price is more than other devices
that do some of the things the iPad will do. And it will be, as the
iPods are, a product in transition. There will be newer ones made with
new features.

As it is, this is one slick box for a reasonable price, imo.

Think of it as a super iPod Touch and you'll be pretty close.

Prediction, they'll sell a bazillion of them. One of them will be mine!

Lloyd
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Lloyd Parsons

In article ,
BikeRider50 wrote:

Charles wrote:
In article , Dillon Pyron
wrote:

[...]

Everyone one want to define it by what it isn't, wrong way to look, imo.

As to how well it sells, well maybe it will take them 2 days to sell out
the first production run instead of only 1!

You are basically saying some of the things that were said about the
iPod and how it just wasn't going to sell and do well in the market.