Iceland: scenic driving advice?

Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Iceland: scenic driving advice?

I prefer "rooms in peoples house" myself. But I carry a tent and
sleeping bag just in case. I've had to use them four days out of
four months traveling.

I've done that twice (without the tent), both times in Greece a long
time ago, and it was friggin horrible. I really really wouldn't want
to try it in Iceland, even with a tent. (You are quite likely to end
up somewhere you'd a need a rock drill to get the pegs in).

We came badly unstuck when travelling from Adelaide to Melbourne by car. We
don't normally book anything other than first and last night near an airport.
There was an agricultural fair taking place where we had planned to stop
everything was full up in the area.

I hit something like that in Istanbul once, arriving at night from
eastern Turkey. Normally there's no problem finding a hotel room
in the Sirkeci area. What I didn't know was that there was an
international football match on, and 50,000 English supporters in
red shirts had turned up for it.

Old December 23rd, 2015, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 23 Dec 2015, Jack Campin wrote:

to try it in Iceland, even with a tent. (You are quite likely to end
up somewhere you'd a need a rock drill to get the pegs in).

Not necessarily, there is plenty of sand, volcanic sand ... try googling
for Skeidararsandur. Then maybe the problem could be jökulhlaup :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6kulhlaup
Old December 26th, 2015, 11:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-22-2015 05:56, Don Wiss wrote:
On 21 Dec 2015, "W. Wesley Groleau" wrote:
Doesn't matter. To "not miss" anything else, I would have had to stay
longer. And some of the things people told me wee must see were
interesting but didn't live up to their hype.

That's why you use a guide book and not reply on amatuer travel's opinions.

A guidebook is written by somebody telling me what I must see.
I've never been bored without one, and if ever I run out of ideas, I'll
get only line rather than carry around extra weight.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 27th, 2015, 12:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-26-2015 16:44, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
A guidebook is written by somebody telling me what I must see.
I've never been bored without one, and if ever I run out of ideas, I'll
get only line rather than carry around extra weight.

only line = online.

Apple decided somewhere along the way to turn my auto-incorrect back on.

--
Wes Groleau
Old December 27th, 2015, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"W. Wesley Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-22-2015 05:56, Don Wiss wrote:
On 21 Dec 2015, "W. Wesley Groleau" wrote:
Doesn't matter. To "not miss" anything else, I would have had to stay
longer. And some of the things people told me wee must see were
interesting but didn't live up to their hype.

That's why you use a guide book and not reply on amatuer travel's
opinions.

A guidebook is written by somebody telling me what I must see.

I think that's a little bit extreme

You are allowed to use your own mind you know

tim

Old December 28th, 2015, 03:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-27-2015 07:42, tim..... wrote:

"W. Wesley Groleau" wrote in message
On 12-22-2015 05:56, Don Wiss wrote:
On 21 Dec 2015, "W. Wesley Groleau" wrote:
Doesn't matter. To "not miss" anything else, I would have had to stay
longer. And some of the things people told me wee must see were
interesting but didn't live up to their hype.

That's why you use a guide book and not reply on amatuer travel's
opinions.

A guidebook is written by somebody telling me what I must see.

I think that's a little bit extreme

You are allowed to use your own mind you know

And I do—without a guidebook. What I find is more than adequate.

--
Wes Groleau