Does France Have A Nickname?

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Tim Challenger

On 14 Feb 2005 13:58:31 -0800, meurgues wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote in message news:1108372245.f4ad3ee4df36c728c3bd4ff0731321ed@ teranews...
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Donna Evleth wrote
in :

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Good point !
And what about Austria ? Is it a saucepan or a piece of parma ham ?
Doesn't Australia look like a big white pea (? haricot blanc in fr) or
a kidney ?

Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg

Scandinavia looks more like a floppy penis and testicles, if you've ever
looked at a 1 or 2 Euro coin.

Mont athos area always reminds me some cow udders (? pis de vache in
fr). So at reverse it looks a bit like an hippocamp with udders...

didier Meurgues

It looks like the head of a bloke with a big nose looking upwards.
--
Tim C.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Tim Challenger

From: Wolfgang Schwanke
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100
Subject: Does France Have A Nickname?

Donna Evleth wrote
in :

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg

Australia is for me an airedale dog.

Donna Evleth

Put down that absinthe, Donna, you've had enough.

--
Tim C.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Go Fig

In article , Donna Evleth

From: Wolfgang Schwanke
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100

Donna Evleth wrote
in :

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg

Australia is for me an airedale dog.

A little side bar- today and tomorrow is the 129th Westminster Kennel
Club dog show... another year my beloved Golden Retriever's will be
passed by... for some 'dog' that doesn't have hair or can't bark. But
last year's Best Of Show was the incredible "Josh" the Black
Newfoundland (http://www.colesgazette.com/josh.jpg) and he let out a
bark that got everyone in Madison Sq Garden on their feet.

jay
Tue Feb 15, 2005

Donna Evleth

--
Klare Sache und damit hopp!

http://www.wschwanke.de/ usenet_20031215 (AT) wschwanke (DOT) de

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:32 AM
LordAvalon

mld wrote in message ...
Sometimes "pays des Lumières" (as in enlightenment philosophy)), also
"pays des droits de l'homme" (country of the human rights), sometimes a
mix of the two "pays des Lumières et des droits de l'homme".

Before the revolution, "fille aînée de l'église" (eldest daughter of the
catholic church).

Right! Sometimes journalists refer to illustrious french celebrities
as in "Molière's country...", "Victor Hugo's country..." to avoid
repetitions.

Cheers,
/MLD

Jim Pflaum a écrit:
Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts call
England "the land of hope and glory."

I searched the Net's travel sites but didn't see any nickname for
France. I know that Paris is called "The city of lights," but does
France have a nickname or slogan? Thanks!

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

From: Wolfgang Schwanke
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100

Donna Evleth wrote
in :

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg

Australia is for me an airedale dog.

Donna Evleth

Put down that absinthe, Donna, you've had enough.

No, I agree, and I've not touched any!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Magda" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:50:02 -0000, in rec.travel.europe, "Miss L. Toe"
arranged some electrons, so they looked

like this :

... "Tim Challenger" wrote in message
... news:1108372245.f4ad3ee4df36c728c3bd4ff0731321ed@t eranews...
... On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
... Donna Evleth wrote
... in :
... I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the

Boot"
... because of its shape.
... Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
... reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg
... Scandinavia looks more like a floppy penis and testicles, if you've

ever
... looked at a 1 or 2 Euro coin.
... --
... Tim C.
... What does a floppy penis and testicles look like ?

More or less like a dead elephant. I suppose.

Talking of dead elephants - where is martin ?

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
meurgues

(meurgues) wrote in message . com...
[...]

GREECE looks a bit like an hippocamp with udders...

Cuba looks like a big Salamander. Chile a stick and Buthan a
rectangle. More countries are nearly trapezoidal like Nicaragua or
Uruguay.

didier Meurgues

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:02:33 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

He's gone travelling.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Kristian

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:02:33 -0000, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

-------------
He what ?!!!!
Gone travelling without notifying us in a proper way ! Thats no way
to post to any newsgroup. At least he could have called in sick or
something - or have posted an "out office message" .

Kristian
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

wrote:

"Magda" wrote in message
[...]

I think he did mention something about it, but I can't remember where
he went. Google doesn't archive his posts either, so there's not much
point in searching.

I guess we'll know when he gets back!
--
---