Does France Have A Nickname?

Old February 4th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Padraig Breathnach

Mika wrote:

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

On 2005-02-01, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

And l'hexagone is not all of France.

Islands are irrelevant.

Are you really posting from Denmark?

Maybe he's from Jutland.

Nicknamed "The Stump".

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Mika

nitram wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:54:14 +0100, Magda
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:44:38 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, nitram arranged
some electrons, so they looked like this :

... On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:32:54 +0100, Magda
... wrote:
... On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:28:57 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, nitram arranged
... some electrons, so they looked like this :
... ... Don't we all?
... ...
... ... I'm not sure what you would get out of it.
... I don't live in Germany. Problem solved.
... If you don't live in Germany how do you expect to get deported by the
... racist regime?

I'm mistaken for a German from time to time - why would they deport me ?
Una fatsa una razza, my dear !...

Didn't I see you on Tutti Frutti once?

As the 'Apricot'???

Old February 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Tim Challenger

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:15:56 +0100, nitram wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:51:53 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Mika wrote:

On 2005-02-01, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

And l'hexagone is not all of France.

Islands are irrelevant.

Are you really posting from Denmark?

Maybe he's from Jutland.

Nicknamed "The Stump".

Boston?

That's the Stomp. Dummy. ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old February 4th, 2005, 01:21 PM
James Silverton

The Reids wrote:
Following up to Padraig Breathnach

Islands are irrelevant.

Are you really posting from Denmark?

Calm down P, he said "islands", not "Ireland's" :-)

On the other hand, according to my atlas, a major part of Denmark is
islands. Major ones are Fyn, Lolland, Falster and Sjælland. Copenhagen
is on the last! An island does not stop being so if a bridge is built
does it?

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old February 4th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Padraig Breathnach

nitram wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:04:44 +0100, Magda
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:52:26 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, nitram arranged
some electrons, so they looked like this :

... ... Didn't I see you on Tutti Frutti once?
... ...
... ... As the 'Apricot'???
... No, he didn't.
... Were you watching too?

I was sleeping.

who with?

Whom!

Old February 4th, 2005, 02:12 PM
The Reids

Following up to Padraig Breathnach

Islands are irrelevant.

Are you really posting from Denmark?

Calm down P, he said "islands", not "Ireland's" :-)

Okay, I've got my breath back.

As a fellow islander I know how you felt (although on an island
that thinks the continent is cut off if there is fog in the
channel).
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old February 6th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2005-02-01, Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Well, yes and no. The expression is widely used and understood, but
l'hexagone is not all of France. Although Le Pen might fervently hope
that it were.

Aha, Le Pen is an anti-imperialist. No wonder that he's such a target
for hatred.
Old February 11th, 2005, 08:45 PM
meurgues

The Reids wrote in message . ..
Following up to Carlus

you are wrong, we don't call our country "Frogland"

neither does anybody else. Nicknames are reserved for people of a
country "frogs", "roast beefs", "yanks" etc.

What's funny for the french is that for them the frog is the
traditional symbol for... rain !
for ex. in the expression "il pleut des grenouilles".

Hexagone is very common. The shape of the country easily looks like an
hexagone. I don't know if another country's general shape is as
geometric.
It is true that Marianne is originally the symbol of the french
republic but as Mxsmanics said it progressively represented France as
well, for ex. in the use for that purpose of a cartoonist in Le Figaro
newspaper during decades.
I don't know the origin of the rooster. It's a special and very
colourfull rooster with blue tail, red, orange and yellow breast and
wings which do really exists. The french believe it to have been found
in France or brought or perhaps created by the gauls, the ancesters of
the french, as a domestic animal, more than 2000 years ago. It was
perhaps endemic to France like very few other animals (the Desman for
ex.). It became probably a republican symbol in the 19th century
because it cries and awakes everyone in the morning. But I don't know
really.

didier Meurgues
Old February 13th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Donna Evleth

From: (meurgues)
Newsgroups: rec.travel.europe
Date: 11 Feb 2005 12:45:34 -0800
Subject: Does France Have A Nickname?

Hexagone is very common. The shape of the country easily looks like an
hexagone. I don't know if another country's general shape is as
geometric.

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Donna Evleth

Old February 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:49:23 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Donna Evleth wrote
in :

I don't know that either, but Italy is often referred to as "the Boot"
because of its shape.

Scandinavia is obviously a "jumping lion". And Britain has always
reminded me of ... http://www.firstartsource.com/Art/PFD1117.jpg

Scandinavia looks more like a floppy penis and testicles, if you've ever
looked at a 1 or 2 Euro coin.

--
Tim C.