What to do in these ports?

Old October 19th, 2007, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

Default What to do in these ports?

Hey folks!

I've found a cruise that I really want to do (instead of my Carnival
Conquest B2B in December)

Tell me what you liked and disliked about each of these ports. Also, include
any extra info you want about each port.

If I choose this cruise, I'll spend at least 1 day precruise in San Juan.

San Juan
St Maarten
St Kitts
Antigua
St Lucia
Barbados
Margarite Island (Venezuela)
Curacao
Aruba

Thanx!

LES!

--
To email me privately,
please remove YOUR CLOTHES

If you experience....
.... lasting more than 4 hours...
.... ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

Old October 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"Babie" wrote:

Hey folks!

I've found a cruise that I really want to do (instead of my Carnival
Conquest B2B in December)

Tell me what you liked and disliked about each of these ports. Also, include
any extra info you want about each port.

You Asked For It.

If I choose this cruise, I'll spend at least 1 day precruise in San Juan.

San Juan

In San Juan, I hired a private guide who drove us and two other
couples out to the El Yunque rain forest.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/737f3/#TL

Then she took us to http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73802/#TL
Old San Juan and Fort Cristobal and gave us (just the two of us) a
guided tour. This cost us no more than the cruise ship tours would
have cost for just one of those places. I haven't gotten to El Morro
yet.

Last time we went, there was just a short time on shore so we didn't
get off because it was quite hot and humid. Some people don't like
Old San Juan or they've been there so much that they are bored of it.
The other problem with San Juan is the traffic. It takes almost
longer to drive to places than to walk.

St Maarten

We had two ships's tours in St. Maartin. One of them I hated
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/739f3/#TL (Discover St.
Martin). Most people went on this tour and it was mostly stops for
shopping. It also lasted longer than advertised. It almost didn't
get back before the afternoon tour. I loved the afternoon tour
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73af8/#TL which was on the
Natural Wonders. A lot of people do the beach here. Next time we go,
we are renting a car.

St Kitts

We took the train tour via the cruise line. It was one of the
highlights of the trip.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8a1af/#TL

Antigua
St Lucia

Have not yet been to Antigua or St. Lucia

Barbados

We've been to Barbados three times. I have even more information than
I do about Bermuda, so you'll have to read about it here.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/9b7/
We did take a ships tours on one of the visits.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8aecd/#TL

Margarite Island (Venezuela)

Have not been here.

Curacao

The Willemstad Trolley tour is very good.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73bc2/#TL We also took the tour
that went to the Hato Caves (hot and a lot of steps), the Curacao
Museum and Seniors Curacao which is where the authentic Curacao
liqueur is made. They also stopped on the top of the bridge over the
harbor for us to take pictures which was worth the whole tour.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73b8e/#TL

The second time we went, I just walked into town to see the pontoon
bridge which was off being repaired when we were there the first time.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8ae6d/#TL

I think we are taking another tour the next time we come here going to
different places.

Aruba

We've been to Aruba twice - the first time I took the catamaran
sailboat snorkeling tour of Wreck of the Antilla (forgettable), and
Bob took the Town and Country Tour which included the lighthouse, the
Natural Bridge the biggest most famous one of which has fallen down,
the Bushirbana Gold Mill ruins, and the Casibari Rock Formation.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73b8a/#TL

The second time, we rented a car and drove around on our own
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8aec8/#TL I think next time we
will just go out into town.
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Rosalie B. wrote:

Curacao

The Willemstad Trolley tour is very good.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73bc2/#TL We also took the tour
that went to the Hato Caves (hot and a lot of steps), the Curacao
Museum and Seniors Curacao which is where the authentic Curacao
liqueur is made. They also stopped on the top of the bridge over the
harbor for us to take pictures which was worth the whole tour.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73b8e/#TL

The second time we went, I just walked into town to see the pontoon
bridge which was off being repaired when we were there the first time.
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8ae6d/#TL

I think we are taking another tour the next time we come here going to
different places.

The first time we were in Curacao we did the Trolley tour and enjoyed
it. One of the highlights for us was visiting the Mikve Israel Emanual
Synagogue, very interesting to see. There is also a museum there.

The second time we were there we walked around and did a little
shopping. After shoping we sat in one of the outdoor restaurants along
the water, watched the pontoon bridge opening and closing again. Also
watching different ships sailing just a few feet away from us. Food and
drink were good, service was friendly, but the view was the best.

Here is a link to our pictures from Curacao:
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/210...14545039MTVjyx

There are also some pictures from Aruba in that same album.

San Juan you might want to visit the Barcardi Rum factory. We went on
our own, but there is also usually a ships tour. If you haven't been to
San Juan before be sure to go to El Morro.

We are going to St. Lucia in Jan., our first time there and we have a
Whale Watching excursion booked.

sue
Old October 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

"Babie" wrote in message

Here's my opinions, for what they are worth:

If I choose this cruise, I'll spend at least 1 day precruise in San Juan.

San Juan

We spent three days in OSJ, precruise. We booked a room at the
Caribe Hilton via Priceline. There is a lot to do and see in OSJ. We
were never bored, and did a LOT of walking and exploring. There
is only one bad area near El Moro (La Perla) that should be avoided.
If you go anytime near Christmas OSJ is decorated and there is a lot
of night festivities. On the other hand, a lot of folks hate Puerto Rico.

St Lucia

One of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. We did the land and
sea tour through the cruiseline: included a trip to the drive in volcano,
tour of the island including a fishing village, tour of a "working"
plantation,
meal and a catamaran ride with beach time.

Barbados

Hired a private taxi for the two us for an escorted tour of the island.
Another
beautiful island!

Old October 20th, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Anka

On Oct 19, 8:14?am, Rosalie B. wrote:
"Babie" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Rosalie, for this very informative post.

I agree that a trip to El Yunque is a must. I hope you get a chance
to see El Morro one of these days.

One question on Aruba... Did you see the Antilla from one of those
half-submerged boats that allows you to photograph underwater
critters? If so, did you take any photos and how did they turn out?
(I bought a roll of 800 ASA film just for this purpose.)

~Anka

Old October 20th, 2007, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Anka wrote:

On Oct 19, 8:14?am, Rosalie B. wrote:

Aruba

We've been to Aruba twice - the first time I took the catamaran
sailboat snorkeling tour of Wreck of the Antilla (forgettable), and
Bob took the Town and Country Tour which included the lighthouse, the
Natural Bridge the biggest most famous one of which has fallen down,
the Bushirbana Gold Mill ruins, and the Casibari Rock Formation.http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/73b8a/#TL

The second time, we rented a car and drove around on our ownhttp://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/8aec8/#TL I think next time we
will just go out into town.

Thanks, Rosalie, for this very informative post.

I agree that a trip to El Yunque is a must. I hope you get a chance
to see El Morro one of these days.

I didn't go that time because there was such a long walk to get to it.
I did get some photos of it from the ship when we came into port.

http://p.vtourist.com/2435078-El_Mor...t-San_Juan.jpg

One question on Aruba... Did you see the Antilla from one of those
half-submerged boats that allows you to photograph underwater
critters? If so, did you take any photos and how did they turn out?
(I bought a roll of 800 ASA film just for this purpose.)

~Anka

No I did not go in a submarine or glass bottomed boat. It was a
catamaran sailboat where we snorkeled the wreck. I had a regular
scuba diving camera The first item on this page has 5 photos that I
took with that camera while snorkeling. The second item has pictures
of the boat.

http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/ab1/d/