Choosing the Halong Bay cruise

Old March 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Choosing the Halong Bay cruise

Hi,

anyone has recently done a cruise in Halong Bay and can recommend a
tour operator in Hanoi?
We would opt for 2 or 3 days trips. It seems there are 100+ operators
(all probably sell tours with the same boats) so any tips on reliable
places to book the trip and approx current price would be appreciated!

Thankx

J.
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

jobloj wrote,

anyone has recently done a cruise in Halong Bay and can recommend a
tour operator in Hanoi?

My wife and I did this trip last year. As suggested by Alfred Molon, there
are plenty of operators in the 'Old Quarter', north of Hoan Kiem Lake. We
used Handspan located at 80 Ma May Street for the Ha Long cruise. They
offer one or several nights tours and other adventure tours. Their prices
were reasonable and provided an excellent boat and food for the cruise. I
would use them again. You can Google them on the Internet. Happy travels.

rg

Old April 1st, 2008, 05:39 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Sharkbait

www.handspan.com

Old April 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On 1 Apr, 05:39, "Sharkbait" wrote:
www.handspan.com

Thanks for your advice Alfred and Sharkbait! That's exactly what we'll
do then.
J.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi,

anyone has recently done a cruise in Halong Bay and can recommend a
tour operator in Hanoi?
We would opt for 2 or 3 days trips. It seems there are 100+ operators
(all probably sell tours with the same boats) so any tips on reliable
places to book the trip and approx current price would be appreciated!

Thankx

J.

well. I have done the Ha Long Bay trip last year and it was a wonderful
experience that for sure I would repeat if I go back to Viet nam

there are all ranges of prices. I met people that paid about 100 dollars for
three nights.. but had to pay for their air conditioning extra

we paid about 300 dollars each. It was one of the best junks ( not the
biggest though) with 14 cabins

we were actually 3 groups of people. and each of them had a guide taking
care of them.

all excursions were included in the price. and so was the transport to and
from Ha Noi ( with stops at the so called tourist traps shops.. where you
pay 3 times what you can find everywhere)

food was delicious.. only beverages were extra and of course they try to
serve wine that costs about 15 to 25 dollars a bottle.

kayaks were free of charge.. so were tea and small snacks during the day.

In the night there were mosquitoes.. but not so wild.

more or less.. you will see that prices are the same. Agencies in HA NOI
just get their commission

you can find my agency in Skype a man called Duong Dong or Duong Van Dong

Ha Noi itself is a beautiful town and offers many excursions
Prices are very reasonable. You cannot spend more than 15 dollars in any
restaurant. If you can bargain. a can of bier will be about 25 dollar
cents..
and so will a bottle of mineral water. if you cannot bargain. expect to pay
the double.
You will find a lot of shops around the main square of Ha Noi
I recommend buying silk kimonos. they hardly go for more than 10 dollars.
then all types of high level leather articles brand imitations.

I also recommend massage for about 5 dollars for an hour

in small towns you can find custom made dresses for about 25 to 50 dollars.
they will do it for you in 3 days.
and so on.
on the whole.. Viet nam is about 50% cheaper than Thailand or Cambodja
Taxis are ridicolously cheap.
with a dollar you can buy up to 5 litres of Home made bier .. Bia Hoi..

People are good and kind. You will have to bargain everywhere.. but after
all
it is like that everywhere.

Old April 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
grusl

On Apr 8, 5:30*pm, "tile" wrote:
ha scritto nel ...

You will find a lot of shops around the main square of Ha Noi
I recommend buying silk kimonos. they hardly go for more than 10 dollars.
then all types of high level leather articles brand imitations.

I'd be careful of having any clothes made in Vietnam. They don't seem
to last.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore (Hanoi 2000-2005)

Old April 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , tile says...

we paid about 300 dollars each. It was one of the best junks ( not the
biggest though) with 14 cabins

I only paid $17. Looks like you overpaid a lot.
--

Alfred Molon
Old April 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"grusl" ha scritto nel messaggio
On Apr 8, 5:30 pm, "tile" wrote:
ha scritto nel

You will find a lot of shops around the main square of Ha Noi
I recommend buying silk kimonos. they hardly go for more than 10 dollars.
then all types of high level leather articles brand imitations.

I'd be careful of having any clothes made in Vietnam. They don't seem
to last.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore (Hanoi 2000-2005)

yes but what do you expect to get for 10 dollars ??

Old April 8th, 2008, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"Alfred Molon" ha scritto nel messaggio
In article , tile says...

we paid about 300 dollars each. It was one of the best junks ( not the
biggest though) with 14 cabins

I only paid $17. Looks like you overpaid a lot.
--

Alfred Molon

I looked at prices offered. they were all the same for that type of junk.

I do not think that even in viet nam you get 3 meals a day for 17 dollars