Argentina for 2 weeks - summer 2007

Old August 19th, 2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Default Argentina for 2 weeks - summer 2007

In 2007 my niece (college student) and I (clergy) plan to spend the last
week of June and the first week of July in Argentina. Since we can't see
everything in that amount of time, what are the "must do's" ... Iguassu
Falls? Bariloche? El tren de las Nubes? Una estancia? Activities in BA?
(Nos podemos defender en espanol.) And what travel agency is recommended
for those on something of a budget?
Old August 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

wrote in message
ink.net...
In 2007 my niece (college student) and I (clergy) plan to spend the last
week of June and the first week of July in Argentina. Since we can't see
everything in that amount of time, what are the "must do's" ... Iguassu
Falls? Bariloche? El tren de las Nubes? Una estancia? Activities in
BA?
(Nos podemos defender en espanol.) And what travel agency is recommended
for those on something of a budget?

Some comments:

First, although you wrote "summer 2007" in the title of your post, remember
that it will be midwinter in the Southern Hemisphere. If you are skiers,
Bariloche or any of the other ski resorts in Argentina will be worth a
visit.

The "train to the clouds," in Salta province, has not run for about a year
or more. Initially there was a mud slide that put it out of operation, then
I think the company went bankrupt. The Argentine government invited bids for
a new contractor to run the operation, but from what I hear there is still
no word on when service will resume.

There are so many things to do that you might get a better response if you
list your own tastes.

There is a travel agency in New York that I have seen recommended; I don't
recall their name, but I'm 99% sure that their toll-free number is
1-800-ARGENTINA.

Good luck!

Old August 19th, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

John: The information re the train is most helpful ... I had no idea. I am
aware that June/July is their winter. Is winter in BA like our Miami?
Atlanta? or like Chicago?
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

wrote in message
ink.net...
John: The information re the train is most helpful ... I had no idea. I
am
aware that June/July is their winter. Is winter in BA like our Miami?
Atlanta? or like Chicago?

Winter in Buenos Aires is definitely not like winter in Chicago, but I've
never been there in that season. I understand that it might snow in the
capital once in a hundred years, and I think that it rarely gets down to
freezing, but the city is a humid one, so even temperatures in the mid- or
upper 30s can be unpleasant if it's a damp day. I see lots of
recommendations for "layering" clothing, so that you can take off a sweater
or jacket, for example, if the day warms up, or put it on when the
temperature drops.

Old August 19th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
John Cisarik

wrote in message
ink.net...
John: The information re the train is most helpful ... I had no idea....

If you haven't done so already, you may want to post any questions you have
on the Lonely Planet's "Thorn Tree," forum, South America branch. There are
at least two residents of Buenos Aires answering posts there as well as some
expats. Here's a link to the main page:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

Old August 21st, 2006, 04:00 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
juanka

Hi from Buenos Aires.

Thanks to choose my country to visit.

I read some of the info John Cisarik and others whote to you.
As part of the process of recovering of a very deep social and
economical 2001 crisis, Argentina, as the rest of South America, is in
constant change, so I think people who was not here in the last time,
and they are not updated should try to write less...
About your budget don't worry. Argentina will be very cheap for you.

1 - Tren de las nubes.
They are running normally.
They just stop in summer (January, February) because the high
temperatures.
Read moe in http://www.trenalasnubes.com.ar/
and a very good description of the trip in
http://www.turismoensalta.com/articulotes.php?ida=2636
The trip is nice at the beginnig, but can become in boring, deppending
of your interest for the desertic mountains...

2 - Iguazú falls
A really MUST place. Plan a trip of just 4-5 days.
Visit the argentine (more extense) and the brasilian side of the falls.
We have most of the falls, but Brasil have the landscape.
If you stay in the brasilian side, at the same price you can have a
better accommodation and the brasilian brakfast is like a lunch.

3 - Estancias:
Around BA there are more than 100 estancias be careful: many of then
try to still foreigners with high prices. When you are in BA city, you
can go to the "casa de la provincia de Buenos aires"and they will
provide update info about estancias.
I use to send my guests to "La Tarde", a good relationship between
price and services. They are breeders of polo horses, and also make
some exhibition of them. The web site is bvery poor, but the place and
the people are cool.
You can stay just one day or more.
http://www.estancialatarde.com.ar/

4 - Bariloche:
Just go and enjoy. It's a very touristic place and the most interesting
are the excursions you can do out of the small village. There is a lot
of info in the web.the main web site in English is
http://www.bariloche.com/english/index.asp
At the time you will come there will be many people there, because ios
the sky season. try to aboid the more turistic places (cerro Catedral,
Circuito Chico, etc) are take tours of "camino de los 7 lagos"; "San
Martin de los Andes" (small and wonderful village), and alos you can
cross to Chile in a 1 day tour.

5 - Buenos Aires:
Well, my city... If you speak Spanish you will have the possibility to
enjoy a lot BA. A lot of cultural activities, shows, etc. many of them
free. Plan to stay a week or two here. The updated official info is in:
http://bue.gov.ar/home/index.php?&lang=en , but there are maaaany
other activities not showed there, you can be noticed if you read the
ads they put on the walls in the streets.

And if you need accommodation in BA in a cosy guesthouse with a
helpful lanlord (it's me... he... he... ) see www.lodging4all.com.ar

regards
and I wish you a nice trip
Juan Carlos

a travelhelper in Buenos Aires
=========================

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Our month long trip to BA in March is at the following:

http://www.geocities.com/beulavillenc/sa2006.html

Doug Clark

Old August 29th, 2006, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
[email protected]

Juan, gracias por la informacion. Pienso que necesito pasar no menos que
tres semanas en su pais. Me gustaria mejorar mi castellano y, al mismo
tiemp, conocer a Argentina. Tengo un "bachelor's degree" en ingles y un
"masters" en teologia. Mi esposa es maestra de matematicas - ensena a los
ninos que tiene trece anos - y ella tiene su "masters" en educacion. Se
puede ofrecer unas hora de instruccion en ingles y recibir, como pago, la
misma cantidad de horas de instruccion en castellan? - George
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.latin-america
juanka

Hola George:

Gracias por tu post. Tu Español parece ser muy bueno!!

Pienso que necesito pasar no menos que tres semanas en su pais.
Me gustaria mejorar mi castellano y, al mismo tiempo, conocer Argentina.

En 3 semanas veo dificil que puedan viajar para conocer
y al mismo tiempo tomar y dar clases... Por la fecha que vienes,
tal vez puedas dejar el sur para otro viaje (a
menos que te guste
el frio y la nieve pero sin las comodidades del
primer mundo)

Se puede ofrecer unas hora de instruccion en ingles y recibir, como pago, la
misma cantidad de horas de instruccion en castellano?

Es posible esto en uno de los institutos que conozco.
Ellos normalmente toman a mis huespedes como profesores
de Inglés para conversación en empresas (bussinessmen).
Pero tambien dan clases de Espanol para extranjeros.

Tambien puedes hacer un tipo de crash course práctico como este;

http://www.espanol-andando.com.ar

Pero realmente creo que si solo necesitas mejorar tu Castellano,

te bastará con hablar con la gente al estar aqui y viajar.

Si te interesa mi casa de huespedes, avisame con tiempo
para reservarles un cuarto doble.
Visita mi website: www.lodging4all.com.ar

regards/saludos
Juan Carlos
PS: he intentado enviarte un email privado, pero rebotó (bounced)
ha escrito:
Juan, gracias por la informacion. ..........