chiang mai evenings/night life.

Old June 26th, 2004, 07:53 PM
The Guards

Default chiang mai evenings/night life.

I went a couple of years ago but ended up spending much of the time in
hospital courtesy of some local cuisine. Still, it hasn't put me off. This
time I'll be doing the cooking course in the daytime but don't know where to
hang out in the evenings. I have in mind to do nothing, well almost. Just
sitting in a variety of bars and getting mildly tanked up is OK. Any
recommendations? I don't remember there being much of a "scene" in 2000.
Matt.

Old June 27th, 2004, 07:18 AM
ash

If you wanted to meet up with some expats go to to Hash(H3) Bar. Go through
the Tapae gate and turn left and it's about 100m down there on a corner.
They will also point you in the direction of what else is about.
. ..

Old June 28th, 2004, 08:47 PM
USC

You can always check out the Night Bazaar. Besides the numerous
vendor stalls selling knick-knacks and hill tribe crafts, you can grab
a beer at one of the sidewalk bars then stroll around and do a bit of
people-watching (you're bound to come across some wandering hill tribe
girls - especially Akha, and probably Karen and Lisu - in traditional
dress selling their handicrafts), or check out the open-air cafe in
the center of the bazaar that has a stage featuring traditional Thai
dance and music. I made a few visits to the rather laid-back Predator
Bar (down the street from the Hash on Moon Muang Road), and one to a
funky sports bar next to Top North Hotel (also on Moon Muang Road,
near the moat and the city gate) that features a Mui Thai boxing ring
with amatuer bouts; funny that a bar that offers live kick boxing is
owned by some 'katoey' [lady-boys]. Of course, the most unique night
while in the Chiang Mai area was spent in a Karen village about a
three-hour hike from the nearest paved road getting very drunk on Thai
rum and rice wine with our Karen guides and our trekking group
(arranged through Top North Hotel). Enjoy.

USC