Malaysia questions

Old June 10th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Waseem S.

Default Malaysia questions

Hi folks,

As I am getting deeper into planning , need some help.

- any suggestions for places to stay in Perhentian. I am inclining
towards staying at Perhentian Besar
actually and I don't mind paying more and staying in one of the resorts
if its worth it.
I'll be going with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 1 year) and I want them to
at least be comfortable and enjoy it.
Is it worth it though? e.g Coral View? Also I don't see the point of
having an aircon room. Shouldn't there
be a constant sea breeze blowing so it should be cool ?

- Any issues with mosquitoes or sandflies in Perhentian?

- what are the items to shop for in KL ? What things would be cheaper
compared to the US?
Luggage? eye-Glasses? footwear? Made to measure suits? Clothes ? Are
there any specific shops/places
that you would recommend for these? I already have a list of the
shopping complexes from LP/RG books.

- whats a good place to buy a decent quality kris, tops and kites? esp
looking for tops/kites that
can be packaged/bundled for travel.

- I'd like to send off my shopping/souveniers/photos back to the US
since we won't be returning to the US
right away. Planning to use regular Malaysia Post office. Are there
any issues with that?
shouldn't be too expensive right? Any custom issues in the US that I
need to be careful about? (there won't be any pirated CD/DVDs

- regular ATM card should work in Malaysian banks if they are part of
the system, right? No gotchas?
My wells fargo ATM card is part of Cirrus and Star network.

thanks
waseem
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:21 AM
justme

"Waseem S." wrote in message
[...]

yep your atm will work if you got money in your account.
Dude you had better get help from lots of people...call the Malaysian con
and check with them..and who gives a **** about Pirated CD/DVDs...can buy
them in most fle markets here in the states now days....
leave your wife and kids at home and go to Thailand and have a ball ...no
fun with her I am sure..

Old June 10th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Alfred Molon

Waseem S. wrote:

- any suggestions for places to stay in Perhentian. I am inclining
towards staying at Perhentian Besar
actually and I don't mind paying more and staying in one of the resorts
if its worth it.
I'll be going with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 1 year) and I want them to
at least be comfortable and enjoy it.
Is it worth it though? e.g Coral View? Also I don't see the point of
having an aircon room. Shouldn't there
be a constant sea breeze blowing so it should be cool ?

The Coral View should be fine, but also the Tuna Bay resort. You need
A/C unless you are comfortable with temperatures in the room which go
over 30°C during the day. See breeze is not enough.

- Any issues with mosquitoes or sandflies in Perhentian?

There are mosquitoes, but no sandflies.

- what are the items to shop for in KL ? What things would be cheaper
compared to the US?

Don't know. But in KL it is easy to get cheap faked goods and illegal
software and music/video CDs (if you are into that).

Luggage? eye-Glasses? footwear? Made to measure suits? Clothes ? Are
there any specific shops/places
that you would recommend for these? I already have a list of the
shopping complexes from LP/RG books.

The major shopping complexes and Petaling street.

- whats a good place to buy a decent quality kris, tops and kites? esp
looking for tops/kites that
can be packaged/bundled for travel.

Not sure about the kites, but there is a huge handicraft market at Pasar
Seni (Central Market).

- I'd like to send off my shopping/souveniers/photos back to the US
since we won't be returning to the US
right away. Planning to use regular Malaysia Post office. Are there
any issues with that?
shouldn't be too expensive right? Any custom issues in the US that I
need to be careful about? (there won't be any pirated CD/DVDs

Not aware of any issues.

- regular ATM card should work in Malaysian banks if they are part of
the system, right? No gotchas?
My wells fargo ATM card is part of Cirrus and Star network.

Mine (Cirrus) works fine.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
Old June 10th, 2004, 06:50 AM
B|kerZ

Pop by Singapore if u r free. But it's more expensive than M'sia ...

I cld help with some things ...

Old June 10th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Chris Kuan

Alfred Molon wrote in message m...

Waseem S. wrote:

Luggage? eye-Glasses? footwear? Made to measure suits? Clothes ? Are
there any specific shops/places
that you would recommend for these? I already have a list of the
shopping complexes from LP/RG books.

The major shopping complexes and Petaling street.

I think the newer complexes (such as Times Square, Mines, Mid-Valley
MegaMall) tend to be a bit more expensive than the older ones (Sungei
Wang, Bukit Bintang etc.) My brother had a tux and a suit+pants made
for about MYR1800 at "Page" in Sungei Wang Plaza back in April. Allow
up to a week for fittings, etc.

The older complexes, IMO, are more crowded, less expensive and more
intriguing.

- regular ATM card should work in Malaysian banks if they are part of
the system, right? No gotchas?
My wells fargo ATM card is part of Cirrus and Star network.

Mine (Cirrus) works fine.

It used to be standard advice in this group to ensure that your ATM
card's PIN was set to a maximum of 4 digits when travelling to Asia;
dunno if that's still recommended.

--
Chris
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Pan

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:33:29 -0700, "Waseem S."
wrote:

Hi folks,

Hi. I've never been to Pulau Perhentian, so no comment there, but on
your questions about shopping, since you're going to the East Coast
anyway, why not shop for clothing in the Pasar Besar in Kuala
Terengganu and such-like, especially if you and your family like Malay
clothing? Chances are, things will be cheaper there than in KL.
Footwear may be hard to come by if you have large feet, though. I
bought a pair of sturdy flip-flops in the Pasar Besar for $7RM, but
they were their largest size, so I warned a friend with bigger feet to
buy flipflops before going to Malaysia. I take U.S. shoe size 9 1/2 D.

You mention made-to-measure suits. I'm sure you could find a good
tukang jahit (tailor) somewhere in KL, but I didn't try. One place you
could start would be to ask the concierge or front desk people at your
hotel.

You might want to post some of your KL-specific questions to
soc.culture.malaysia. I'm sure some folks there would be able to point
you to specific shopping centers as better for luggage, glasses, etc.

[snip]
- whats a good place to buy a decent quality kris, tops and kites? esp
looking for tops/kites that
can be packaged/bundled for travel.

[snip]

I really have no idea but again suggest that the East Coast is
probably the best place to do this. In particular, wau bulan (moon
kites) are a tradition of the East Coast. Are you planning a trip to
Kota Bharu? I recommend it.

You won't have any trouble with ATMs, but be aware that there is lots
of credit card fraud in Malaysia.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Madonna

Waseem S. wrote:

- any suggestions for places to stay in Perhentian. I am inclining
towards staying at Perhentian Besar
actually and I don't mind paying more and staying in one of the resorts
if its worth it.
I'll be going with my wife and 2 kids (4 and 1 year) and I want them
to at least be comfortable and enjoy it.

Yeah, that island is better than the small one for families. And the
resorts have a couple more convenient services and the best beach.

- Any issues with mosquitoes or sandflies in Perhentian?

In the evening you can wear long pants if it has rained the day before.
No malaria there last time I checked, but getting mosquito bites is
not fun anyway.

- what are the items to shop for in KL ? What things would be cheaper
compared to the US?

Clothes.

Luggage? eye-Glasses?

Glasses, especially frames (if you don't have time for the prescription
or want to buy one for later).

footwear?

Not much, but there's a huge selection of sandals obviously.

Made to measure suits?

Yes.

there any specific shops/places
that you would recommend for these?

Shopping centres in KL.

- I'd like to send off my shopping/souveniers/photos back to the US
since we won't be returning to the US right away.

Better off with a digital camera.

Planning to use regular Malaysia Post office. Are there
any issues with that?

Their main post office is near the KL train station. Should be ok.

- regular ATM card should work in Malaysian banks if they are part of
the system, right?

Yes.

No gotchas?

Avoid using your credit card. Pay cash.
Old June 10th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Alfred Molon

Pan wrote:
You mention made-to-measure suits. I'm sure you could find a good
tukang jahit (tailor) somewhere in KL, but I didn't try. One place you
could start would be to ask the concierge or front desk people at your
hotel.

Lord's in Jalan Alor (parallel to Bukit Bintang) is quite good, but not
cheap.

Old June 30th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Tom

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:52:36 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:

Pan wrote:
You mention made-to-measure suits. I'm sure you could find a good
tukang jahit (tailor) somewhere in KL, but I didn't try. One place you
could start would be to ask the concierge or front desk people at your
hotel.

Lord's in Jalan Alor (parallel to Bukit Bintang) is quite good, but not
cheap.

Lords is excellent and cheap compared to UK prices but maybe not compared to US. They have
moved from Jalan Alor to 1st Floor, The Ampwalk (Ampang Walk), 218 Jalan Ampang.

Tom